Rules Question: Death Marshal and Pine Box

McNathanson

So I was putting together a crew based off my Lady Justice box set and it has 3 Death Marshals in it.  I started thinking about clever ways to use the Pine Box and I had a thought: is there anything preventing me from Pine-Boxing another Death Marshal?  If not, things get pretty tricksy.

For example, I can move Lady Justice 17" + and THEN activate her using chained Death Marshals (A boxes Justice, B boxes A, C boxes B, then next turn move, unbox, move, unbox, move, unbox...)

Worse, I can box your toughest model, and then box my Marshal and never let him out, so he doesn't activate, and you never get to try to break out of his box.  This "double box" trick would be absolutely wicked on an enemy master, who could be kept double-boxed until his crew was wiped out, and then unboxed and dog-piled.  

And that's just the first few things that came to mind as I was thinking about it... I'm sure it gets even worse.

I can't believe this is possible because it's so powerful, and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere (PullMyFinger doesn't mention chain-boxing).  Is there an FAQ or something preventing it from working?

I am not sure off the top of my head on the death Marshal rules but look for wording about "if this model is removed...".  The removal of the Marshal from the board by burying him may release the previously boxed model.... I have no rules on hand to look it up at the moment.

Here is a link to the Malifaux FAQ: http://www.wyrd-games.net/s/M2E-FAQ.zip

Nothing on this here, but a useful resource.

There are two different keywords as I recall. "removed from play" is basically taken off the board, but there is another wording used for "out of the game". I still don't have my rules handy to look it up.

If I recall correctly this type of thing was an issue in the first edition, so it is something they dealt with for M2E. It's hilarious how tight they made their second edition vs Games Workshops track record of creating new holes while trying to fix stuff.

• Like 1

Not sure there's a differentiation actually, but there are rules for a buried model to come back and abilities that interact with buried models to varying degrees. There are no such rules for killed/sacrificed models. A model still buried at the end of the game is considered killed.