Marker Question

Raindog

So the Marker is a weapon that drops a repeater down range.

Questions:

1. If this in an area out of a Zone of Control, is this a simple BS test? Is seems the closest thing would be throwing smoke grenades.

2. If I am landing the repeater in the Zne of Control of an opposing model, say an Enemy Heavy Infrantru Model, do we make a face to face roll. If so, on what skill base for the opponent?

1) Yes, it will be a BS test unless it's out of LoF, then it's subject to speculative fire rules. It's got the same range bands as a rifle (not a combi), so +3 from 8 to 16, -3 up to 24, and minus 6 out to 48.

2) That's a really good question - I would guess that the enemy model can do nothing since it is not being acted upon, but I would think it reasonable that the model may declare a dodge since it sees something land really close to it, which would then just be at the model's physical value. If the model sees you shoot the marker, then they may absolutely declare a dodge with no penalty, but I'm not sure if they only see the landing of the marker. I'm going to pass this question on to Jake, he would know.

• Like 1

2) Well, if the enemy model can see you, obviously it can take an ARO shot at you, in which case would most likely be BS.

My example would be: 

A Reverend Custodier want to hack an ORC hiding behind a wall. He cannot see the ORC troop. The ORC cannot see him. However, if the Reverend Custodier drops the marker next to the wall, he could hack the  ORC and it would be in the Zone of Control of the ORC.

What could the ORC do to avoid the Marker?

Cheers,

RD

Don't think that's the question. He means if it lands in your zoc or sees just the marker land. Which if u can see the marker land if u can aro to that or if it's in your zoc and u could do specific aros for that. Idk either.. and if it's dodge or turn facing it's a physical I think. I don't think u can shoot markers.

Just to make sure I'm understanding: Shooting the marker would be one order, the hack would be a separate one. You probably already knew that.

The only ARO you can perform against a hack is "Reset" I believe.

Still not 100% the orc can dodge when he sees the marker thump down in front of him, I emailed Jake and will let you know. He's the warcor for Portland and has been playing for like 5 years or more, and knows his [big bad swear word].

My example would be: 

A Reverend Custodier want to hack an ORC hiding behind a wall. He cannot see the ORC troop. The ORC cannot see him. However, if the Reverend Custodier drops the marker next to the wall, he could hack the  ORC and it would be in the Zone of Control of the ORC.

What could the ORC do to avoid the Marker?

Cheers,
RD

• Like 1

In a more general way of answering, the orc would have never been able to react to the marker shot at all.

the orc would be able to ARO the marker's firing model if it is visible to the orc.

You generate an ARO in response to the expenditure of a model using an order that the ARO model can see, or that is made within your ZoC (witholding for sslvl2 and so on).

this is how mines are able to be dropped around corners to pin down the enemy, which is an Ariadnan staple!

• Like 4

"You need to be able to see the attacking model in order to ARO. The exception is if you're being hit by a template, in which case you can always dodge at a negative. Since the Marker/Repeater itself is not a model it doesn't generate an ARO by itself.

Markers are one of the trickiest parts of the game to learn since they work very differently from everything else."

- Jake
  • Like 2

There was a discussion at Infinity night at Red Castle just last week about how this isn't doable for some reason. Maybe I heard that wrong, I'll ask about it. As an Ariadna player I used to do that all the time in N2

this is how mines are able to be dropped around corners to pin down the enemy, which is an Ariadnan staple!