Link Teams

Peanut

...and why I don't think they're so bad.

When I first started playing Infinity, I thought links were just too strong. But there are MUCH scarier things than link teams. TO TAGS, total reaction bots, ODD etc... Typically the first time someone fights a link it seems too good. This isn't the case - they're good but, like many things in Infinity, there are counters. A good list has some anti-link capabilities.

Here are some thoughts on links:

- Links can only be used in sectorials (with some small exceptions) which limits the versatility of a players' list.

- Links bunch up troops and I've seen whole teams go down to grenades, shotguns, flame throwers and chain rifles. Always try to bring one or two template carriers. Templates are great. It is very hard to hug cover sometimes with links as you've got 3 to 5 guys you're trying to fit behind one piece of scenery (all while keeping them within 8 inches of the link leader).

- If a link leader shoots at you and you can ARO against someone else in the link, it may be worth it to do that. That's an unopposed shot at the guy behind the link leader. Your troop may die, but you've degraded that link. Situations may vary, if it's your LT or a valuable troop, you may prefer to dodge.

- In your active turn, "slice the pie" around corners slowly to just see one guy and pick them off.

- Cheap troops with templates, LGLs, HMGs, spitfires etc. can just go crit-fishing against the link leader, break the link, and now your opponent has to waste a command token to reform the link.

I don't think link teams are anything to worry about. No, that's not true, they should be worried about. But no more than the TO troop you suspect is going to ambush you around that corner, or the total reaction bot, or the sniper who you have to take out if you want to move towards your objective.

• Like 3

naked panda brought up a perfect example to something that crushes link teams.  a 5 point dude from haqq lol.  yea i dont feel they are all powerful at all.  they are good but for many reasons, a lot you posted, it worries me to dump ~1/3 or 1/2 of my points into one template destruction zone... that saying, it is really handy for moving things fast that need to get close up to do damage!  

Link teams are really shocking at first, but once you get down to learning their ways, they become far less scary

I love seeing my opponent bring their link team, always D to A, and start poking and scaring it. The order efficiency of a link team is certainly lost once they spend all the CG's orders trying to preserve them selves!

Also and excellent way to drain your opponent's CTs

Active turn TAGs still love tasty link teams

Link teams are less powerful than tags on active turn (GENERALLY speaking, exceptions abound), but more powerful than a TAG on reactive turn (representing their teamwork).

A huge error I see Link team players make is to treat their link team like a death star, it will work a couple of times (and on paper), but it falls apart when the enemy just picks off your peripheral models/orders, and starves the team. 

The link team must STILL perform a strategic role, be it defensive or offensive for example, otherwise they become an expensive and out of place liability.

• Like 2

Question(s): Can you put an entire link team into suppressive fire mode? If so, how many orders does it take? One for the whole group or one order for each member?

I noticed that if the model that is in suppressive fire mode joins a fireteam, the mode is cancelled. I didn't know whether that applies to models already in a link team, or if there's a difference between fireteam and link team.

• Like 1

Question(s): Can you put an entire link team into suppressive fire mode? If so, how many orders does it take? One for the whole group or one order for each member?

I noticed that if the model that is in suppressive fire mode joins a fireteam, the mode is cancelled. I didn't know whether that applies to models already in a link team, or if there's a difference between fireteam and link team.

Works the opposite way as well.  A model loses it's link if it enters suppressing fire mode.