What's the problem with painting skin tones?

ChaosGerbil

Now I love painting skin, but I hear a lot of people hate it. What's the problem?

Seriously, it can be as simple as throwing on a flesh tone straight from the bottle and a flesh wash.

I usually do a quick overbrush highlight of the base tone + a little white too.

Darker skin tones are a bit harder to make pop and show good contrast. I often add a little red or yellow to the mix for the raised areas, to give some warmth.

Green Ork skin is similar, just with different shades and extra yellow tones in the highlights.

Daemon and mutant skin can be really fun, combining a red or purple wash with yellow or orange highlights gives a cool effect.

If anyone needs pointers I would be glad to help.

:wub:

Reikland Fleshshade

• Like 1

That's the thing: faces (human female ones especially) often don't have edges or much definition at all to highlight, shade, or pick out.  And I think the usual "over-do the contrast" approach to painting, which works so well with most colors, falls down on skin tone, which just looks wrong up close when done with too much contrast.

So I agree: human faces and skin in general are really tough compared to most other things.

One person who mastered them is that awesome chick who used to do pro work... can't recall her name, A-something?  Anyway, she was really really good at painting faces.  Neat story huh? :)

• Like 1

One person who mastered them is that awesome chick who used to do pro work... can't recall her name, A-something?  Anyway, she was really really good at painting faces.  Neat story huh? :)

Alexi-Z is probably who you're talking about, but there are plenty of pro level painters who are excellent at skin.  In fact I'd say it's one of the bigger indicators of high level miniature painting.

As for the topic at hand, skin isn't all that difficult if all you're doing is dry brushing it.  That said dry brushing skin is doing a fairly large disservice to it as dry brushing creates a dirtier and more mechanical look to things.  With what should be the literal focal point of the model skimping isn't really what you want to do.

For quick and easy skin I'd recommend people use black lining and two-brush blending.  Definition between features such as hair and eyes makes all the difference in faces while two-brush blending is just a fast way to produce good blends.  The rest is just color theory (such as the yellow, red, and blue/green zones of a face) and practice.

I'm not saying to drybrush, it's called overbrushing, similar technique but with a smaller brush and more paint loaded up.

Here's my go-to method if I'm taking more time:

Prime black

Paint a "base" brown over the whole face, leaving a little black at the edges if possible

Heavy overbrush of "layer" flesh tone, leaving some brown in recesses

Wash

Light overbrush of flesh tone mixed with white on nose, forehead, cheeks, chin

Touchups and final details

Faces don't leave a lot of room for standard wet blending, so I don't reccommend it unless you are experienced and doing a character. That being said, a lot of times I will do overbrushing when the layer beneath is still a bit wet.

I missed that you said overbrushing, but that still doesn't change what I was talking about. People have problems with faces (and skin in general) because skin is easier to recognize when you're doing it wrong. It's sorta like learning how to draw a proper face/body where every inconsistency is easily picked out by the eye due to how much interaction we have with people each day. I doubt many people are complaining about the results simple techniques such as overbrushing, drybrushing, and dip washing are achieving any more so than they when such things are applied to cloth or mechanical parts. When people complain about skin it tends to be when they want to, consciously or not, take their painting to the next level which involves a lot of color theory and experience with smooth blending such as the wet blending you mentioned.  

On wet blending I'm not sure if you were just going into the technique as a segue or not, but it is not the same as two brush blending. Two brush blending is just a quick-and-dirty way of creating smoother transitions and the amount of translucency that you'll need to approximate skin.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yep, painting faces, still sucks.  Or I should say, I still suck at painting faces.  Even when I've lucked into a good OK outcome, repeating it is a no go.  

@Kremmet,

Looking at your beautiful models makes me feel inferior.  :)  Keep up the great work!  

Speed painting.  Got it.  Check out the "side-eye" the model on the right is giving us...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...