Painting suggestions for sword blades?

McNathanson

Hi folks!

Last few nights after family is in bed, I've been working on prototype Witchling Stalkers, and I've got a couple (one grey, one more of a blue) that are coming together pretty well I think.  But I always have trouble with sword blades; I think the large flat areas seem to ask for something interesting, but I tried several things (fire, electricity, metallic paint) and they all sucked.  

Here's a picture of the Stalker without paint on his blade, followed by a sorta-barely-acceptable grey blade (yawn).  Any suggestions (with specifics please!) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

2015 09 09 10.33.31

2015 09 09 12.55.23

Murals! As we know, every large flat surface on a mini needs a mural. I'm thinking that you could do the mystery machine one one of them, and then Vultron on the other. I mean who wouldn't be intimidated by a guy with swords like that??

In all seriousness, I think just some outstanding rusty blades would work really well. And the yellow on the pummel doesn't really work for me. You know, since you asked. :smile:

But back to the blades, yeah, those guys don't look like fellows who polish their swords all too often. So any kind of extreme weathering would probably work well. I think a deep rust color would go nicely with the existing colors you have on the models. I'd even go so far as to get that special rust weather stuff to go over it so it really nabs that pitted crumbly look.

• Like 1

Murals! As we know, every large flat surface on a mini needs a mural. I'm thinking that you could do the mystery machine one one of them, and then Vultron on the other. I mean who wouldn't be intimidated by a guy with swords like that??

In all seriousness, I think just some outstanding rusty blades would work really well. And the yellow on the pummel doesn't really work for me. You know, since you asked. :smile:

But back to the blades, yeah, those guys don't look like fellows who polish their swords all too often. So any kind of extreme weathering would probably work well. I think a deep rust color would go nicely with the existing colors you have on the models. I'd even go so far as to get that special rust weather stuff to go over it so it really nabs that pitted crumbly look.

Murals, what a great idea!  Wait is this 40k?

I think you're right about a more weathered look perhaps, but I want to keep the overall look consistent... the paint work is controlled, not washy/messy/etc.  I think the blades need to be, too.

I didn't actually ask about the yellow, but thanks ;)  I think you may be right, I might need to work it to a more bronze/brass looking pommel shade, instead the bright golden yellow I've got going.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Nice work, bro!

I love the hilts, and I think you could go pretty simple because of how strong the hilts look.

The 'feathered edge' look on blades works great, imo. Like take this sword, minus the unnecessary extra work like blues and NMM. It's basically just highlight the edges, then feather a midtone in some consistent direction.

img3f1e427b7ef5a.jpg

Hello there,

If you're going to be changing up the pommel anyways, do me a favor and try this before you do:

*  Take your existing pommel and put a green wash over it.  Like Biel-Tan Green wash or Athonian Camoshade or the other green wash (all Citadel, I think that's the pants I saw in your pic)

See if that gives you a kind of off-metallic, kinda dingy / rusty look.  I do that over bronze for my 40k Ork army and really like the look it gives.

Again, only if you're changing up the pommel anyways.

Stay safe,

don

• 2 weeks later...

Blacklining and straight white highlights are what sell a sharp blade. A lot of time the actual modeled blade isn't all that blade-shaped so it helps to paint in a sharper point than is actually there. A little piece of painters tape is especially helpful for getting that perfect white line down the center. 

That's great; I'll give it a try! Thanks!