SM Devastator Kit

Yarbicus

How good are Plasma Cannons?  I appear to have 6 of them...

Just depends what you shoot at.

Main drawback over lascannons is that they can't snap and they don't have that high strength needed to pen AV13+ or do cost-effective damage to T6+ enemies. They also have 12" less range.

That said, I think plasma cannons are a bit more accurate than lascannons and they can hit multiple targets. Blast weapons can also be particularly useful if trying to clip more than one target with a unit that can't split fire (or against targets which have special rules which apply if targeted directly, like units with jink).

Against non-MC, non-vehicles, plasma cannons will likely be just as viable as lascannons most of the time. Against densely clustered enemies, they will likely be more viable.

Plasma are good at killing heavy infantry and MCs, but Gets Hot is actually a really big liability- you're just about guaranteed to lose at least one squad member to an overheat during the course of a game, and it won't be uncommon for 1-2 guns to miss out shooting on a critical turn, which is problematic.

Lascannons are dedicated anti-tank weapons; Plasma Cannons, more often than not, are a solution in search of a problem. Grav (while more expensive) is better against heavy targets and MUCH better against MCs and vehicles, not to mention being able to fire on the move or snapfire when needed- Immobilizing a walker with Overwatch fire is a pretty brutal turnaround.

If you have a dedicated psyker for Prescience (Tiggy, Inquisitor, etc) they're not atrocious, but I am pretty much never impressed by what they can do.

If you have a dedicated psyker for Prescience (Tiggy, Inquisitor, etc) they're not atrocious, but I am pretty much never impressed by what they can do.

Does the SM devastator squad have access to that "Armorium Cherub" that the DA devastators have?

It's a one-use item that allows a single model to re-roll all hits in a single shooting phase. Unlike most similar items/wargear/rules, it doesn't say you have to activate it at the start of the model's shooting phase. As I read it, you could opt to use the Armorium Cherub after getting hot with a plasma cannon on one model.

Not perfect, but it would boost plasma cannon devs on that one turn where it really mattered.

You could- and should- buy an Armorium Cherub, yeah, but that's really only going to make a very small difference. It's better than nothing, obviously, but if you want to consistently shoot and land your shots (which is pretty necessary with a small blast weapon), you really need the full-strength rerolls from Prescience or its ilk.

You could- and should- buy an Armorium Cherub, yeah, but that's really only going to make a very small difference. It's better than nothing, obviously, but if you want to consistently shoot and land your shots (which is pretty necessary with a small blast weapon), you really need the full-strength rerolls from Prescience or its ilk.

Depends what you shoot at, but I do agree that Prescience is very helpful for devastators. For me, the drawback of having to put a 65+ pt psyker in the devastator squad (or near it) often negates the value of the prescience. Not to mention that prescience means using warp charges that I often want/need elsewhere.

That Cherub seems like a must for plasma cannon devastators. Even just for that one turn where you fail to cast prescience...

Preferred enemy is also good route for devastators (with any weapon loadout).

On a side note, a key point with backfield devastators is that failing morale checks often means running off the table. Getting a Veteran Sergeant just for that point of leadership can often be a very smart call, as losing the entire squad after only two casualties is very irritating.

The Leadership issue is often why having a psyker in the unit is also helpful- if you're already spending 10 for the Vet Sarge and 5 for the Cherub and more, why not just roll it all into a 55pt Inquisitor with Prescience (and some other power)? Morale is also (another) good reason to station your Devs up above the field in the top levels of a ruin or whatnot- eating off 3" or 6" of your fallback distance in vertical moves goes a long ways towards ensuring you stay on the table.

But yeah, the Cherub is basically an auto-take for Dev squads. Rerolls are golden.

• Like 1

The Leadership issue is often why having a psyker in the unit is also helpful- if you're already spending 10 for the Vet Sarge and 5 for the Cherub and more, why not just roll it all into a 55pt Inquisitor with Prescience (and some other power)? Morale is also (another) good reason to station your Devs up above the field in the top levels of a ruin or whatnot- eating off 3" or 6" of your fallback distance in vertical moves goes a long ways towards ensuring you stay on the table.

But yeah, the Cherub is basically an auto-take for Dev squads. Rerolls are golden.

Inquisitors are only level 1, so only 1 power unless we go divination twice (Coteaz is the only level 2 psyker in the codex).

My main reason against including a psyker in the squad is just that I tend to use those slots for my other units. My devs tend to be self sustaining. I also haven't been using codex: INQ, as it's acquisition is recent for me. Excuses.... 

Though, yeah, I'm certainly going to re-think this now that I'm planning to run inquisitors. 25pts for a leadership 10 stubborn model is amazing attachment for an MEQ backfield unit, with or without access to psychic powers. 55pts with powers is somewhat iffy, as it does make them very close to our far superior DA psykers (which are stock fearless for only 10pts more).

Anyway, back to devastators.

One point I'll make is that Devastator units, more than any other in the SM codex, really benefit from a pre-determined deployment plan. For example, if I plan to put the devastators in a building or vehicle, how many firepoints does it have which can realistically see my target? If less than 4 can fire at once, why am I buying 4 heavy weapons for a unit that cannot use all 4 at the same time?

Another point worthy of mention is if you lack a plan for the sergeant, give him a Bolt Pistol and Close Combat Weapon. I always challenge with my devastator sergeant, veteran or not, and I have had many games where those 2 swings and his power armor saved the unit for many rounds of melee (they do eventually die, most of the time). A lucky sergeant in a challenge can ruin an opponent's flank attack for many turns, if you can get them stuck in a combat they *should* have already won. He doesn't lose the Signum use when the unit shoots at range, so BP+CCW isn't a waste.

Most DA players that use a lion's blade have a bare minimum squad of just 5, 2 Grav cannons, no other upgrades and rolling in a rhino cuz of the 2 firing ports

I've never been in the "most players" group, but I do see the logic with that unit build.

On a side note, are you able to use the Signum and fire 2 grav cannons when firing out of the rhino?

Yes. Activating the Signum does not "use up" a Fire Point on the vehicle.

But doesn't he do it instead of shooting? I mean, if he doesn't have a fire point availible, he can't shoot....Can you swap actions that you don't have?