Rules Question: How do you play stairs?

McNathanson

We've found stairs (like these) to be quite clumsy rules-wise.  How do you guys play them?

1. Do they block LoS or can you see through them (when standing on the ground)?
  2. What height are they at which stair tread?
  3. Where exactly can a model enter the stair without climbing?  With climbing?
  4. How do they interact with pushes (assuming you can go up and down them without "climbing" per-se)?
  5. Anything else you can think of that I'm forgetting :)

Thanks folks!!

1. Up to you and your opponent. I'd say not blocking personally.

2. Measure from the table to the step. More than half an inch would round up to Ht1. 1.5" would round up to Ht2.

3. Another thing should be discussed with your opponent prior to the game starting. I'd say walk on at the bottom, or at any step where with Ht0. If a step is at Ht1 or more I'd say you would have to climb up to that step (maybe also discussed if it's possible to climb at a point higher up than that).

4. If you're at the bottom or top, you can push up or down. You can't push on to the stairs from a point beside them where they are Ht1 or more.

5. There's lots of special/custom terrain out there, just keep things like this in mind and remember to discuss it before the game with your opponent. Most people are happy to play it any way that makes sense as long as you're on the same page from the start.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

All good except for one thing: I know you "always round up" in Mollyfox, but the terrain rules specifically say that terrain needs to be a full inch in order to get the ht point.  So .9" would be ht0, 1.0 - 1.999... would be ht1, etc.  This seems pretty specific in the rulebook; do you guys use a different house rule for terrain ht and round up?

PS: I agree it's totally fine to discuss beforehand and agree on whatever you want to.  We use walls that are about .8" tall and count them as ht1, for example.

Never knew that, never had a problem. Good to know the rule exists but I'd still be flexible. Not an bad idea to quickly run down heights on specific pieces of terrain before the game starts anyway "so this this and thus are Ht3, these are all ht2 and that's just ht0 but severe terrain? Awesome, let's start!".

Never knew that, never had a problem. Good to know the rule exists but I'd still be flexible. Not an bad idea to quickly run down heights on specific pieces of terrain before the game starts anyway "so this this and thus are Ht3, these are all ht2 and that's just ht0 but severe terrain? Awesome, let's start!".

Us bros are particularly interested in lining up how things are played with you. You know us: we like it when all of the clubs around the OFCC play it all the same way :)

• Like 1

No worries, I'm sure you guys will be a force to be reckoned with by the time we see you next! :)

Don't get your hopes too high, there are a LOT of factions and masters we don't have in our lunch-hour mix and from what I can tell, the first few times you play a master or even a really good model, it's a pretty good chance you're going to get blindsided :)

That said I'm totally looking forward to playing with you guys this year!  I wonder if we can do the tournament Friday and then just play pickup 'faux Sat and Sun?? :)