Ht vs model size?

Ht = inches. The physical models can sometimes vary (model that's 2"tall with a Ht1 stat for example), but the physical size of the model is irrelevant to the rules of the game. Base size and Ht are all that's needed to figure out LoS, range, etc.

No kidding? That's awesome. Very simple.

Also note that the number rounds up. So 1.5 inches equals Height 2. It works the same way for determining terrain height.

So height 1 is everything from even slightly over Zero to one inch in height? Does that include arms raised? Or is the idea feet to head?

You generally only measure terrain, because models all have a Ht stat you use (and as I said, some models don't actually match their Ht stat, you still use the Ht stat not the measured height of the model). I think 0-0.4999999" would be Ht0 (some terrain such as swamps is considered Ht0).

I guess what I'm asking is that if I build the models from scratch or otherwise use models from another game, what size should I shoot for? Or does it truely not matter, provided they look the part?

Assuming you're using them to represent a model in Malifaux as a proxy, you would still use the Ht stat of the model. If you're making up your own rules for the model, then yeah you could measure the figure or just say that generally man-sized models are Ht 2, midgets, dwarves, and gremlins are Ht 1, and large monsters/cavalry are Ht 3.

The exact height of the model doesn't matter that much, but it should be in approximate scale with the game. any 28-32mm human sized miniature should be about right for a standard human in Malifaux. The height stat on for the model allows the miniatures to be a bit more abstract than a game using a model based size/LoS system.