Rulebook mentions them, but between my wave 1&2 faction decks (arcanists, outcasts and wave 1 of ten thunders) and the rules-only rulebook, I haven't seen any examples.

Do they exist, or is it a reference to rules not yet added?

Further, I've seen several notes across the web regarding expansions to the game, wondering if those are part-of / allowed in normal play? Are they something I should investigate for casual play?

Shifting Loyalties includes all the rules to play Malifaux in a mordheim-style campaign (hire and expand on your crew over a series of games as they gain new skills, abilities, equipment, and injuries. There are rules, including avatars, which are only useable in campaign/friendly play. There are also a handful new models for each faction that are balanced for tournament play.

I think if Mark didn't quite answer your question pax it would be this:

Cross Roads and Shifting Loyalties do "expand" the game and while not needed to play the game, you should expect that your opponents may have models/upgrades from those books and if you wanted to play a campaign game, someone in your group of players will need that book. Also, Crossroads has a ton of additional scenarios that might be fun to play with, but not required to play the game.

• Like 1