What drives your painting time?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What drives your painting time?

• Motivation
    • Inspiration
    • Discipline
    • Availability
    • Events

Tournaments. The only time I get any real painting done is the 2 weeks prior to a tournament.

An event will motivate me to get more painting done.  I would like to be disciplined enough to set aside a couple 1-3 hour painting times a week, but don't.  Random spurts of motivation will usually get me painting nightly for a few weeks, and then the dust collecting begins.  

Events are definitely my big drive. I get some stuff slowly done here and there just whenever, but there's nothing like a deadline to get some stuff at least tabletop ready.

Yep, events. This is me as well.

• Like 2

Being assigned to night shift, so on my days off I have to hold schedule.  Thus, I have to find ways to stay up until 0700 hours.  Painting gets done then.

I work graves, the last time I painted was at work, in June/July.  I've had availability to paint at home and at work, but I haven't.  A lack of discipline and motivation, it would seem. 

I only ever paint to get my models up to 3 color minimum so I can go to events.  If I didn't HAVE to paint for events, I never would.  I hate painting.

This is me. Though I have some how gone up to 4 colors and a wash. Not sure when I went all fancy on my models, but 3 color base seems like a good start and finish.

• Like 1

Tournaments in part, but recently it's mostly an ongoing, year-long painting contest on the Something Awful forums. Great prizes, inspiring people, Nd challenges that make me paint things that I wouldn't normally paint.

Events are the best thing to motivate, though.

Well, Events doesn't necessarily mean Tournaments. Now that I got my Daemonkin through the Elvensword, my next big project is Bjorn and some friends for DreadTober.

Motivation.

And my motivation is derived from equal parts exercise and food. The problem is that neither exercise nor food is readily available while painting.... So I'll go through periods of intense exercise, periods of heavy eating, and then periods where all I do is paint/convert things.

Motivation.

And my motivation is derived from equal parts exercise and food. The problem is that neither exercise nor food is readily available while painting.... So I'll go through periods of intense exercise, periods of heavy eating, and then periods where all I do is paint/convert things.

I think you're confusing motivation with something else...

I still think you're confusing motivation of the mental kind (the kind this thread is talking about) with the ability to physically perform an action.

I didn't post my reasons for painting to start a debate with you. I am right about my answer as it pertains to me, your option doesn't matter here.