I somewhat learned to play

Brother Glacius

So Nathan was kind enough to give me a quick teaching game the other night. All in all, it doesn't look too bad in terms of learning. My biggest concern after the evening was the idea of needing enough models/units in order to customize for a match. I am lazy and want to build an army and then play that army. However, it seems a big part of Malifaux is making sure you have the right tools for the job at hand.

I very nearly bought a box set at GG, looks like I'm leaning towards the arcanists and the children of winter. But again, I'd be much more comfortable being able to play with just one set of models for a while.

• Like 1

Good to hear! Rasputina and the children of December can actually be pretty flexible even staying in-theme. There are a ton of different "Frozen Heart" models available and coming soon that allow her to be competitive in pretty much any set of objectives that come up. I've even gone so far as to find proxies for non-frozen heart stuff to better fit her theme if I want to use the models in her crew, for example I found some ice demon things to use as Coryphee.

Basically you can buy her crew box, which is I think around 30ss worth of stuff, add in a few other models to get to 50, and have a few more models available to allow you to tweak the crew's focus.

• Like 1

Glad to see you finally try it.

There are really a few ways to build a group in Malifaux. There is the obvious "all in" option where you collect pretty much everything in the faction. I don't have a price tag for this, but it gets pretty expensive... granted probably not as expensive and a WFB army.

There is the single master option where you buy one master and the stuff that works well with them. This is the cheapest way and for the most part can be really effective as you really learn the ins and outs of one set of rules. You need to get enough models to change things out for scenarios, but 75-100 SS should be enough to have on hand for at least 90% of games. This also limits your "Oh God what do I take this game" conundrum.

There there are the in-between which is where a lot of people land. Two masters, Three masters. Really this stage is where you might eventually go after expanding on the one master method, and where most people are most of the time. Just add what you feel like adding when you feel like adding it. If fact, most people who start with one master end up here because buying the crew boxes are way better deals than buying the stuff from them individually.

• Like 1