FW LoW question.

If I want to field, in example, the Imperial Knight Lancer, what are my detachment options for non-IK armies?

Knight lancer includes this bit:

Other Armies of the Imperium Factions: A Cerastus Knight-
Lancer may be taken as a Lords of War choice for any
faction that is a part of the Armies of the Imperium (see
the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook)

Does the Knight Lancer become part of the faction it was selected for?

For example, if I field a DA Combined Arms Detachment and select the Knight Lancer as my Lord of War, is the Knight Lancer considered part of the Dark Angel's Faction?

If not part of the faction of the detachment, is he considered without faction? Or is he considered to have an exception from the faction requirement of detachments?

BRB is pretty clear cut that armies of the imperium is not a faction of it's own.

I would probably be with West on this one- the Knight maintains its faction (Imperial Knights) and Battlefield Role (Lord of War), but has a special exception to the usual rules that all models in detachments need to be from the same faction.

However, it's not impossible that the Knight would be treated as a different faction than usual- this happens with a number of the FW Chaos units, for example.

None of the Datasheets list the Cerastus Knights as belonging to the Imperial Knight Faction.  It just provides guidelines for including in a Knight list or in a AoI list.  However, it is listed on the FW site for sale under the Imperial Knight Faction and so I would use that as my guidelines and assign it IK faction always, not mutable.

The main concern is that CAD requires models to be of that faction or factionless.

The above rule doesn't specifically exempt this model on the CAD or other detachments with similar requirements. On the other hand, it does suggest, but not state, that the model would be part of the faction it was taken for.

Although merely being part of the same faction confers no direct benefits, there are lots of in-game effects which depend on a given faction for a model and can certainly alter list construction. This is both positive and negative.

On the Lancer's rules:

Full text is this:

Using the Cerastus Knight-Lancer in your army in games of Warhammer 40,000

Codex: Imperial Knights: Cerastus Knight-Lancers may be chosen as part of a Codex: Imperial Knights army as you would other types of Knight. However, owing to their rarity in the 41st Millennium, you may not have more
Cerastus Knight-Lancers in your army than you have Knights of other kinds.

Other Armies of the Imperium Factions: A Cerastus Knight-Lancer may be taken as a Lords of War choice for any faction that is a part of the Armies of the Imperium (see the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook)

Anyway, follow up question, and this is more to the point of the thread:

Can I field this Knight Lancer in a Faction Specific detachment, like the Baal Strike Force?

-If the model is consider factionless, then the answer is NO because the Baal Strike Force specifically requires the Blood Angels Faction or to be Fortification.

-If the model is consider part of the faction, then the answer is YES for the same reasons.

-Now, if the model "retains" the IK faction, but is given an exception, then the answer is again YES, though purely due to that exception.

And, the consequences. If my opponent has prefered enemy/hatred space marines and is engaged with my Lancer, Does the model count as part of the Blood Angels faction?

-If the model is factionless, then answer is NO, as it is not a space marine.

-If the model is part of the faction, then the answer is YES because it is a space marine.

-If the model is considered to "retain" the IK faction and is part of the detachment as an exception, then the answer is NO because it is not a space marine.

It doesn't matter what Faction it is, because it specifically states that this one Unit may be taken in any Detachment of any Faction from the Armies of the Imperium, which is more specific than, and thus trumps, the general requirements that the Units in a given Detachment are of a specific Faction.

Maybe not for the detachment's rules (though I think it does matter), but it certainly matters for lots of things. That preferred enemy/hatred example is a good one. Lots of armies have special rules and equipment which treat members of their faction differently than members of other factions.

Personally, I think the intention is that it counts as part of the faction it's taken with, like just about every other FW unit (like SM rapiers taken with DA are part of the DA faction).

If the baal strike force has a lord of war optiom then you can have the lancer thats not very hard to understand. The rulebooks statements about factions cant be included in other faction stuff is kinda getting slapped in the face the way i see it. A cerastus knight is a lord of war option for any army of the imperium so factions within factions that most wont blink an eye at you over.