Common Game Size?

I've dug up my old Fantasy models and played a few games of Age of Sigmar. I like the simplicity of it, and I think it's a great game to play over a few beers with friends.

I'm having a bit of trouble with balance... Why would I take 30 Glade Guard over 30 Waywatchers, for example. My friends like to restrict the number of wounds in an army but I don't think that's a good way to do it at all.

What size game do you guys normally play, and how to you attempt to balance forces? I've only played AoS with a few other people so I'd like to see how other playgroups are balancing the game.

• Like 1

I have tried the # of wounds method. I have tried the just eyeball the number of models. Most of the time it works out just fine depending on the mission and game type. The nice thing about AOS is that the games dont last a long time so you can replay the game with different models and test out different things. In my opinion it works out as a beer and warhammer kind of a casual game. I have not touched my 40K since I have started to play. HA!

• Like 1

And here I thought the rules for "balancing" were already in the main rules.

Funny Tom! Show me any game where the rules for balancing are. If games were balanced we would not need things such as Swedidh or ETC comp systems. It is practically impossible to balance any game unless your playing Stratego or chess.

Now as to the original question there are a few ways to equalize the gaming experience. Azyr comp, Lords of War, UK Independent Pool and Clash Comp, Ordo comp, etc. are just a few examples. So far my group has had luck not utilizing anything but the pre game discussion on what everyone brought and what everyone's expectation from the game is. Sure we have had some lop sided model count and power level games but AoS is a scenario driven game. The game really shines when playing for objectives, scenarios and story lines!

• Like 3

The game really shines when playing for objectives, scenarios and story lines!

This makes sense! All the games I've played have just been "kill your opponent". Objectives and wacky missions would really spice up the game I think.

Thanks for the comp suggestions everyone, I'll try them out. I knew AoS doesn't have any internal balancing mechanism which is why I was asking about this. I assumed there'd be good 3rd party sources for this, and there are!

Most GW games are actually scenario games.  They have the line up and kill missions, it's true, but more are not, and they're balanced around those missions.  

True in theory... Other than tournaments, how many times have you shown up for a game and ended up playing Pitched Battle (WFB reference)! My experience has been 9 times out of 10 and I've been playing Warhammer since 1985.  A very long time.  Frankly I was getting extremely tired of the line up the armies and slap each other silly till one side concedes.  I applaud AoS and the effort to move the game to a purely scenario driven system.  So far the only game that I was not impressed with in AoS was the time when we just lined up our forces across the table and tried to kill each others army.  The game was boring and lacked any real depth or challenge.

The grand majority of tournaments I've attended haven't been line up and kill each other.  Granted, I didn't play a ton of Fantasy tournaments, but I didn't like the system.

However, I'd also counter with GW doesn't, and didn't really give more than lip service to the tournament scene.  And when they did, they promoted the "just bring the most broken thing you want" mentality.

However, if you play the game by the rules set out in the main rulebook and work with those scenarios, the games are usually pretty good.