Ravenguard? A good Formation? FOR REALS!?!??!

fluger

Ok, that Shadowstrike Kill Team is super cool. Terrifying, but really cool. The fact that Vanguard ignore disordered charges means that you can tie up a couple of units with a big blob of assault goodness. Heck, or you could combat squad them and have smaller units focused on specific tasks (meltabombs for vehicles, etc.). I'm picturing a list with a CAD (consisting of a fair number of drop-pods with locator beacons), and a Shadowstrike Team. No need to rely on the scouts for error-free deepstriking if you can sprinkle the field with beacons.

I've got an Eldar army to finish, but I love that it seems you can make a really flexible assault army again.

• Like 1

I'm picturing a list with a CAD (consisting of a fair number of drop-pods with locator beacons), and a Shadowstrike Team. No need to rely on the scouts for error-free deepstriking if you can sprinkle the field with beacons.

That was my initial thought as well, but the ability to deep strike and assault turn 1 is so sexy.  What the Talon Strikeforce gives up in Ob Sec it gains with all the tactical advantages (mostly re-rolling who deploys first, getting to come in from reserves on turn 1, and being able to choose to fail morale) as well as opening the door for the van vets to do some real work.  I'm still playing around with it to see if I can come up with something I like.  Here's the next iteration.

Talon Strike Force:  

Pinion Battle Demi-Company:  1615

Chaplain:  95
  Meltabombs

10 Tactical Marines:  170 + 75
  Meltagun, Lascannon
  Razorback:  Las/Plas

Meltagun, Lascannon

Meltagun, Lascannon

5 Assault Marines:  80 + 75
  2 Flamers

5 Devastators:  150
  4 Lascannons

10 Scouts:  115 + 50
  5 Bolters, 5 Sniper Rifles
  Land Speeder Storm:  Multimelta

5 Scouts:  55 + 50
  5 Bolters

5 Bolters

5 Bolters

Shadowstrike Kill Team:  384

5 Scouts:  55
  5 Bolters

5 Scouts:  55
  5 Bolters

6 Vanguard Vets:  137
  1 Power Axe

6 Vanguard Vets:  137
  1 Power Axe

Interestingly, the vehicles being brought in by the scouts in outflank ALSO get stealth on that first turn.  Probably won't amount to much, but a neat little trick.  

I like the narrative and effectiveness of this force, basically a few backfield heavy weapon teams with scouts with sniper rifles (taking advantage of combat squading!) who can give the devys ignores cover, and then a bunch of outflanking vehicles and deepstriking and assaulting units.  

I feel like maybe I need to shave points out of the main group and get more van vets (I think 2 units of 10 would be ideal so I can split them up into combat squads).  

Looks good, definitely maximising the pinion force.  Little too mechy for my taste for ravenguard but that's a personal thing, nothing against the army or your tastes.

My mind is swirling with ideas with all this ravenguard stuff.  Reminds me of the old IA Ravenguard rules from 3ed, but turned up to 11.

• Like 1

Scarblade strike force:

Reroll failed Init for H&R

Flatout or TB an extra D6 or 2D6 if flyer/fast

Charge 8" and get HoW or reroll wounds if you already have it.

Special detachments for their core/aux/command.

Demi Company Gets reroll shooting hits against units controlling objectives and Move 2d6 (bikes and Jump packs) after shooting. Other units get to move D6 and can reembark if close enough. No charging if you do this stuff.\

Hunting Force - Pick an HQ and reroll hits and wounds + furious charge. When you get a secondary target and tertiary. Also, two HOW instead of one.

Stormbringer (scouts in LSS and LS) - Obsec for everything. +1 Jink for Storms when within 6" of a LS. Disembark after moving 12".

Speartip - Bikes and LS - Can either Pin a unit at -2 if two units shoot at it or force ld if one casualty, if they fail they G2G or must move toward formation. Meh.

Their own Warlord Traits. Banner (30) with 12" FC and Fleet bubble.

Relic Spear (30) (S+3/+1 AP 2/3 MC). +1 BS and Ignores Cover relic (20)that transfers IC to unit.

Libby Mantle (20) that gives AdamW and Psychic Maelstrom power.

Scimitar (25) +1S, AP3, MC, +3 WS in challenge
Relic Bike (25) TB 18" and pass over units / terrain as if jetbike

Ravenguard get Special Gladius:

Reroll deployment zone and who deploys first

Reserves on first turn

Fail Morale Checks if oyu want.

Demi gets scouts can give IC to another unit within 9"

Scouts can lead units onto the field and give them stealth/outflank

Ravenguard can take other chapter's characters in their demi company.

Skyhammer OSF: Pick a point, units in this formation can reroll to hit and wound against enemies within12" of that. run and shoot.

Ugh, so much stuff! I can't even type it all.

The WS stuff is cool, but other than the Hunter's Eye (which is stupid-broken) very few of the WS options can compare to just taking a Battle Company, so you probably won't see it as much. I do like a lot of their formations, though, they have some neat stuff- and they let you build a pure bikes army using their detachment, a nice option.

Am I wrong in thinking that a Shadowstrike Kill Team, a Skyhammer Annihilation Force, and a drop-pod heavy CAD to fill out other bits and bobs would make for a really fun-to-play thematic assault-based Raven Guard force? Or is that much assault just silly?

Raven Guard are a cool force in 30k. The new rules look like they'd be fun in 40k. There are the new Horus Heresy plastics coming out (and there are always 3rd party jump packs and conversion bits). Hmm. 

Am I wrong in thinking that a Shadowstrike Kill Team, a Skyhammer Annihilation Force, and a drop-pod heavy CAD to fill out other bits and bobs would make for a really fun-to-play thematic assault-based Raven Guard force? Or is that much assault just silly?

It could definitely work well.  I like the idea of using a CAD with drop pods to help with Ob Sec, because that's REALLY powerful.  I'm not sure if the bonuses from the Talon Formation are worth losing ob sec and having to buy up a few sub par units.  As well, by going with CAD/SKT/Skyhammer you are using units that don't NEED the outflank bonus of the scouts.  Though, ignores cover is SUCH a good USR to get.  

I think it's definitely a good option though.  

It could definitely work well.  I like the idea of using a CAD with drop pods to help with Ob Sec, because that's REALLY powerful.  I'm not sure if the bonuses from the Talon Formation are worth losing ob sec and having to buy up a few sub par units.  As well, by going with CAD/SKT/Skyhammer you are using units that don't NEED the outflank bonus of the scouts.  Though, ignores cover is SUCH a good USR to get.  

I think it's definitely a good option though.  

Demi Battle Company is still available to Talon Formation and it has obsec, Tactical Doctrine one time use and still benefits from choose to fail and arrive on Turn 1 on 4+.  Feel like that's actually pretty good option if going for drop marines.

My thought for a drop army has been one Pinion, one battle company, sprinkle in auxillary as points allow.  Pinion in pods dropping near scouts for ignore cover melta shots, with the obsec guys filtering in through the game as needed.

• Like 1

My thought for a drop army has been one Pinion, one battle company, sprinkle in auxillary as points allow.  Pinion in pods dropping near scouts for ignore cover melta shots, with the obsec guys filtering in through the game as needed.

Trying to wrangle the points for this seems pretty tough.  I think it's either Pinion OR Demi.