Astra militarum hints

Nathanvoodoo

I kinda want the junior command companies and the heavy weapons to hang out in the defence line- while yarick and the blobs roam/charge/die

I could drop the commissar for the conscripts and just give them a priest for the zealot rule- then I could trim a little here and there to put Creed and a CCS back there. I know I know... I just wanna use him for some turd reason. I painted him so well...

I also could bring a void shield generator instead of the aegis- I have the actual model for it

Who the hell is throwing 100+ s6 shots a turn other than eldar?!?

Tau.  

And then there are blasts and such.  A pair of thunderfire cannons or wyverns can make short work out of a blob.  They can also snipe out the important parts of it.  

The critical thing is getting the 4+ power on the psykers and keeping that shield up, especially in melee where they can get a re-roll on it from the priest's hymn.

This is why you want 3 primaris and 2 or 3 priests in one blob as they can practically guarantee you'll roll the power and cast it.  

Lord Hanaur used a blob like that and it works GREAT.  I played against it with my melee Ork horde and I backed away from it because I knew how stupid good it was.  I used a version of this with my guard at OFCC, but I didn't have primaris psykers, just one Inq.  I rolled lucky in my game against WestRider's Khorne army and had the power up on the turn he charged me with half his Khorne army.  He LOST combat to me.  

The other thing to think about with big blobs of guys that need to move to be effective is they get in each other's way.  Trust a horde ork player, refused flank is OBNOXIOUS.  That's why I recommend a static blob with heavy weapons and a mobile blob with melee weapons and then support units to taste.  

• Like 2

I've faced the dual blob and it's tough! One fighty blob pushes forward, one shooty blob sits back and shoots. Surprisingly effective. They can both spread out for enormous footprints. One blob can cover two or three objectives, then you choose to claim whatever one it's more beneficial. It's a thinking man's army. You're spending soldiers every turn but grinding out objectives. Everything a true Imperial General should do! Also fun to play against.

4/5 would be massacred by again.

• Like 2

So

one blob specced light- with krak grenades, power axes, melta bombs, psychers and preists.

One blob with lots of heavy weapons, special weapons and thats it- no heavy weapons squads

As many concscripts as I can rustle together and artillery and heavy support in the back field.

Basically a gun line and a running blob.

The good news is, IG have a lot of tools for the tool bag.  The blob armies tend to surge forard and take up space so it is a gunline in some ways but is it technically?...

The IG wave iof humanity can be kind of a hybrid because it will fire its heavy weapons as long as you let it and then when you decide to charge the blob, well...  No problem there either!  So you can afford to push the field in a way, even though you're still kinda gun lining.  If that makes sense.  What you're REALLY doing is making it tough for anyone to even get to the artillery.  That's the real mission.  Getting just a f few long range shots will frustrate any enemy if thats all they can get on those bomb throwers.  Especially if you keep killing those long range cvapabilities as you move!  And blobs can snipe.  Which is super cool.  Ive used that order before to kill off Missile launchers buried in units.

I wrote a list-

Hq

Yarick

Lord commisar

Troops

Fighty blob,

Melta bombs, axes, flamers, krak grenades

2 priests

3 mk 2 primaris psychers

Shooty blob

Grenade launchers, missile launchers, auto cannons, lascannons

Platoon commanders and each blob have a vox cause I consistently roll horribly *shakes fist at dice gods*

Heavy support

1 manticore with camo net

2 wyvern with camo net

2 THUDD guns with camo net

Fort

Aegis defence line

My version is 40 Guardsman + 4 Power Axes+4 Lascannons +3 Psykers+3 Priests.  

EDIT to expand on thias now that I have a KEYBOARD:

The blob moves forward relentlessly firing away while the Lascannons are kept stationary to allow them to fire.  

Excellent firtst choices for orders are the one that allows them to snipe.  With as many shots as you have to start, killing special weapons is always a good idea, especially flamers and blasts!  If the enemy is armor heavy then obviously the Lascannons can take out enemy Wyverns and Whirlwins etc...

Either way, the blob moves ever forward, taking up space and disallowing the enemy from gettign to your artillery and double dog daring them to even THINK about assaulting you.  The characters all remain in the middle of the formation.  The toni's daisy chain in the rear to keep coherency with the lascannons.  

this results in complete positional dominance in the center.  Clearly that means the rest of your mist must be able to handle the flanks so that the artillery may continue its grisly work.

Highly recommended:  Wyverns, with Camo, with Aegis.  Nigh unkillable.  Extremely annoyingly durable and of course, being open topped, they need all the help they can get to survive and rain death on the enemy.

As you will have restricted the enemy to either flank and therefore a much narrower approach, they will be somewhat forced to clump up to get as much of their units around the blob as they wish to do so with.  This makes the DeathStrike and the Manticore as well as the Leman Russ Eradicator as excellent artillery options for such a force. Optionally, yety another blob can be used, albeit make certain it has a priest if not all the goodies I've given the first one.

Certain enemies like the Corpsethief Claw are fearless and nearly unkillable to the blob (and vice versa for the most part).  You will require some other unit that can hold those off for you or eliminate them altogether.  The occassional Force Maul can be an answer but ultimately you're better off diverting such a unit.  As killing them is extremely difficult and slow work, you may find the cheapest answer is simply delaying them physically.  

Stubborn units not often seen can accomplish this for JUST long enough (Bullgryns for example).  But without Instant Death weapons, the IG will find such units extremely important to account for.  Expend some thoughts on this particular subject.  Conscripts led by a Zealot might be an ideal tool, on your flanks, to run interference, though other units can also.  Ultimately this will be one of the most important list considerations because such a non-conventional unit can cause a blob to be caught up for too long.

If you use TWO full blobs, while expensive, it solves the problem, but consider this:  You dont HAVe to blob!  So if you see such a list and have a second blob, simply break the blob up and feed them to the Corpsethief claw/similar unit like scraps of meat to distract the attack dog from the real target. with a Zaealot to lead them, such super units will be hard pressed to get free.  This is an advantage over the Conscripts because the conscripts cant be "unblobbed".

anywho, more information to chew on. 

• Like 1

Edit'd

EDIT to expand on this now that I have a KEYBOARD:

The blob moves forward relentlessly firing away while the Lascannons are kept stationary to allow them to fire.  

Excellent firtst choices for orders are the one that allows them to snipe.  With as many shots as you have to start, killing special weapons is always a good idea, especially flamers and blasts!  If the enemy is armor heavy then obviously the Lascannons can take out enemy Wyverns and Whirlwins etc...  by ignoring cover.

Either way, the blob moves ever forward, taking up space and disallowing the enemy from gettign to your artillery and double dog daring them to even THINK about assaulting you.  The characters all remain in the middle of the formation.  A few toki's daisy chain in the rear to keep coherency with the lascannons.  

this results in complete positional dominance in the center.  Clearly that means the rest of your list must be able to handle the flanks so that the artillery may continue its grisly work.

Highly recommended:  Wyverns, with Camo, with Aegis.  Nigh unkillable.  Extremely annoyingly durable and of course, being open topped, they need all the help they can get to survive and rain death on the enemy.

As you will have restricted the enemy to either flank and therefore a much narrower approach, they will be somewhat forced to clump up to get as much of their units around the blob as they wish to do so with.  This makes the DeathStrike and the Manticore as well as the Leman Russ Eradicator as excellent artillery options for such a force. Optionally, yety another blob can be used, albeit make certain it has a priest if not all the goodies I've given the first one.

Certain enemies like the Corpsethief Claw are fearless and nearly unkillable to the blob (and vice versa for the most part).  You will require some other unit that can hold those off for you or eliminate them altogether.  The occassional Force Maul can be an answer but ultimately you're better off diverting such a unit.  As killing them is extremely difficult and slow work, you may find the cheapest answer is simply delaying them physically.  

Stubborn units not often seen can accomplish this for JUST long enough (Bullgryns for example).  But without Instant Death weapons, the IG will find such units extremely important to account for.  Expend some thoughts on this particular subject.  Conscripts led by a Zealot might be an ideal tool, on your flanks, to run interference, though other units can also.  Ultimately this will be one of the most important list considerations because such a non-conventional unit can cause a blob to be caught up for too long.

If you use TWO full blobs, while expensive, it solves the problem, but consider this:  You dont HAVe to blob!  So if you see such a list and have a second blob, simply break the blob up and feed them to the Corpsethief claw/similar unit like scraps of meat to distract the attack dog from the real target. with a Zaealot to lead them, such super units will be hard pressed to get free.  This is an advantage over the Conscripts because the conscripts cant be "unblobbed".

Anywho, more information to chew on.