KoW... is it a thing?

llesh

Howdy, new here trying to figure out what I am goign to do after the old world i knew blew up..... been years since i have played and i still have so much of the love and passion that i had decades ago... please do not have this become a discussion over why one game is better than another, this topic is about if kings of war has any staying power/is it worth it

i have been seeing lots of talk about KoW getting preference for reasons, including masters taking it up as the replacment for fantasy, but then i call the local stores in my area (seattle) and they all are at best on the fence about it, waiting to see what happens before they move foward.... this is the heart of what is going on it seems.... waiting to see what happens....

this forum i just found seems to have interest in kow... but there is not even its own section....

stores seem to have interest... but they are not stocking the products...

stores that stock some mantic products do not order more than 4 books for example which they have not ordered more of even though they sold out- not ordering more till they see more interest

i have been redirected to websites and grps that have not exsisted ( or posted ) for long periods

well, these are the types of problems that i seem to be encountering while trying to figure out if kings of war is worth gettign into... let alone if i can get into it since at the moment i would have to order from the UK it seems....

so is this going to be a slow burn like whfantasy was so long ago, and eventually catching on.... or has minuature wargaming been fractured into a dozen different games where its hard to ever get a game going unless you have dedicated friends who also play?

I think it's a solid system and just needs a little time to catch on - slow burn like you said. It sucks getting in to it at this point because I feel like I kind of have to fan the flames a bit, which is something I have no interest in doing. But I want it to grow so I have people to play with! And again, it is a really good game. The second edition just came out so it will take some time. I am going to keep playing it so there will always be at least one player, but I think a few more people will realize it's a really good game.

I think the danger for old warhammer folks is comparing it to warhammer. Some of the things we got used to, random charges for example, or removing models from units, are gone. I think I prefer KoW in a lot of ways, but most importantly in the way of balance. Nothing is perfect but at least the Mantic guys put effort in to it. GW never seemed to care about giving us a balanced game.

I think this forum needs a KoW sub-forum, but that is up to the powers that be. As for how is it? Well that is up to the players. Most WFB players will be able to take their existing armies and try out KoW. So there should be a player base for it. But it is a different game. I enjoy it. I still enjoy warhammer. As for playing it...that is up to you. I know tonight, at WoW, some people are going to get together and give it a go. I would like to be one of those people, but life is pretty full for me. There is nothing stopping you though from giving it a try. Who cares if it is the next thing or not. Again, if you have WFB, then you can play KoW.

It really depends on where you are living. My understanding is that in the Seattle area there is a group playing. It sounds like folks are trying to get something going in Portland as well. I am hoping to see a game or two tonight.

As to a separate forum.Yes, we as an organization move slow due to a variety of reasons and we traditionally do not like to change the forums much. 

I think the danger for old warhammer folks is comparing it to warhammer.

Can't agree with this enough. I'm actually pretty excited to give Kings of War another shot, even after being a little underwhelmed with my first game. I think the biggest problem for me would be comparing KoW units to their WHFB "counterparts." It's so ingrained in me that "a horde of Ghouls does X and fills Y role" that I sometimes catch myself feeling disappointed when the Kings of War stuff doesn't coincide with preconceived notion about a until/model/army. I think if you can separate in your mind that Kings of War and WHFB are a different game, even if you can use the same models, you'll find it has a lot to offer you.

i should really have highlighted a large problem so far has been finding if there are people to play / learn the game with even, its fine if i want to play and use the downloadable info and other minuatures to do so, but i still need people to play with  "close" to seattle....

=^D

it's been a while since ive looked for something like this im a little overwhelmed maybe... websites of the 2 main stores around here i know of don't even list KoW on the events

It really depends on where you are living. My understanding is that in the Seattle area there is a group playing. It sounds like folks are trying to get something going in Portland as well. I am hoping to see a game or two tonight.

As to a separate forum.Yes, we as an organization move slow due to a variety of reasons and we traditionally do not like to change the forums much. 

im sorry if it is on the forums and i have missed it so far, but could you please direct me to some info on this grp? do they have a name or a website?

k i downloaded a plugin and am taking a listen to it now, as well as having found a site/twitter/facebook so thanx a lot.... i should have thought about checking out facebook, i need to dredge out my password for that one and go searching there maybe as well... if anyone is interested here they are:

http://kingsofcascadia.com

https://www.facebook.com/DimensionalCascade/timeline?ref=page_internal

well, if anyone cares after i listened to that first podcast i decided to call some more stores... I found a delux edition selling somewhere, the only one so i had em hold it for me and ill be going down there to pick it up and see if this might be a good hobby to be getting into.... i just hope it's the 2d edition, i dont know if they ever sold something like this for the 1st edition or not, but the employee said it had nothing that said 2nd edition on it.... well.... i'll be back in a few hrs depending on traffic....

wish me luck

• Like 2

well... i think im on my way... i went and picked up that delux edition, (im considering it a contribution/support to mantic since the price was lil silly for adding in some plastic counters) the only KoW item I found at multiple stores...was card kingdom/cafe mox Ballard Washington btw which said they were waiting to see some more interest before stocking the game.... and then i ordered the supplement for the new armies coming out.... exciting...

i used to play undead before they split up into 2 separate armies.... i wonder if i will gravitate back to them or go for a different army... i dont understand why they split them, how do the undead not work together.....

We are indeed playing KoW in Seattle. There is a tournament coming up November 14-15. We often play on sundays as well. There is a Facebook group called Kings of War Washington State. That's the best place to arrange a game.

OT: ryan, do you know what happened to the dim cascade web page/forum?  i was thinking aidan would just rename but i cant seem to find it...

OT: ryan, do you know what happened to the dim cascade web page/forum?  i was thinking aidan would just rename but i cant seem to find it...

if you are talking about dimensional cascade, which i think you are, i think i can help a little bit, i found them during my search and they have renamed themselves to Kings of Cascadia.... here is some of the info for them...

facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/DimensionalCascade/timeline?ref=page_internal

webpage for podcast:  http://kingsofcascadia.com/

twitter:  https://twitter.com/CascadePodcast

• Like 1

OT: ryan, do you know what happened to the dim cascade web page/forum? i was thinking aidan would just rename but i cant seem to find it...

Aidan killed the forums as pretty much everyone used the Hangout to chat. Sucky part is it's now harder to get into the group, but the FB page is good for that.