OFCC 2016 40k Questions

Mr.MoreTanks

OFCC 40k 2016 Team Event Questoins  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be open to the idea of 2 vs 2 matches?

• Yes - with some limits to points, allies, and detachments
    • Yes - with 2000 points and no limits on detachments or unbound
    • No - I like the traditional 1 vs 1
  2. 2. Would you be open to the idea of a new pairing system?

• Yes - but only if it becomes a 2 vs 2 event
    • Yes - sandbagging is getting out of control
    • No - trust the captains to make the matches
  3. 3. Would you like to see players rated as well as lists (scale or 1-3 based on skill)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes - but only by captains for rating players
    • No - it shouldn't be taken into account for OFCC

If we get the HOG position, one of our (my) goals would be to publish and communicate expectations about how captains and players are supposed to approach doing things like pairings, creating lists, rating lists, rating generals. I know for me as a captain, I had a lot of times where We had an inexperienced player matched up against a seasoned vet and the results were poor to say the least. I think a general rating could work as it should give more information about the list and general to make better matchups. The whole goal of the OFCC is to create dynamic and even matchups that could go either way.

• Like 3

I voted for 'No Doubles" because I want to play my army when I play, not a combo of me & random-fill-in-the-blank since my old gaming group scattered to the winds and I'd end up in a day-of pairing with another loner, most likely.  (I've got assaulty Orks and need to get stuck in right away... oh, you've got reserve shenanigans that mean I'll be the only targets for enemy shooting the first two turns?  What a fun time I'll have putting my models back in the box, I guess...)

I used to get to at least one tournament a month and was a solid upper to middle-of-the pack player (It may be hard at the top, and it's even harder at the bottom, but in the middle it's so hard you could use it for nails).  So where I would have qualified for the extra .5 rating before, I am now sufficiently out of practice and have enough previous edition hangovers to drop me solidly into the casual camp.

Now I am scheduling weekend childcare months ahead of time to get to any of these events, at most once every three months, (but my last event was the January TSHFT) and finally playing games where I only get to interact a quarter of the time?  No thanks.

I missed last OFCC due to covering for my wife's medical issues and it's looking like TSHFT in January may be the next time I can schedule a gaming weekend.  The current Captain matching system is good when all involved realize the point is to arrange good games.  A couple years ago at OFCC I swapped players with a a guy whose army I knew I'd take apart by simple target priority (and therefore not a fun game for him) for a guy (definitely a plus .5 rating) who set up two thirds of the terrain in my deployment zone for his shooty & reserve shenanigans army.  The fact that he slow-played (forty minutes left and we just finished one and a half turns) added to the 'delight' of a game I felt like table-flipping before any models had been deployed.  In retrospect I should have said 'OK, now set up the terrain like a human being while I go for a walk to blow off steam for five minutes' rather than let a "Dude, whatever" attitude lead me down the slippery slope into the worst game I've ever played.

• Like 1

I came up with an idea where each player brings a 1k list, a 1.5k list and a 2k list

Each round you have a pair of 1k vs each other
1.5k vs each other
2k vs each other
Every member of the team has to play at least 1 of each type of game.

Brings more variety to the event, so you're not doing the same thing over and over.

It also reduces the tables from 4 to 3 per matchup, allowing more teams in the same space.

• Like 1

I came up with an idea where each player brings a 1k list, a 1.5k list and a 2k list

Each round you have a pair of 1k vs each other

1.5k vs each other

2k vs each other

Every member of the team has to play at least 1 of each type of game.

Brings more variety to the event, so you're not doing the same thing over and over.

It also reduces the tables from 4 to 3 per matchup, allowing more teams in the same space.

Innovative.  It also FORCES you to play a 1K game so that might not be as fun for some.  I think people generally like to play with as many of their toys as makes actual sense so...  

I do like the innovative thinking there though.

• Like 1

It WOULD be awesome if we could do 2500-3000 pts for the display reasons.  Of course 5x3000 pt games that may or may not include drinking is more than a bit extreme in the time frame allotted.  And until all the Codex have received the new Detachment system, increasing the points helps some armies way more than others, much like a sideboard. 

I support a no points game composing of Nids VS Tau VS Orks VS Eldar VS Dark Eldar VS Chaos VS Imperium.  You belong to one of those 7 factions.  Some sides may end up slightly lopsided, but that's okay.  The objective isn't balanced forces.  The objective is to have fun with little plastic painted dolls while rolling dice and killing things.

Considering we are discussing a game with 7 Factions as opposed to a game with 2 Players, it is already assumed certain rules have to be modified, as we are already modifying the rules.  I would think that would quite clearly be a rule that would be omitted from this Epic Battle of Apocalyptic Scale worthy of Cascadia declaring its succession from the Union.