Fallout 4

I am going to go ahead and say it. New Vegas is the best of the modern fallouts.

New Vegas had a great style going on, definitely good stuff, but I think I am liking 4 a bit better when considering the whole package. 4 has a far better Wasteland feel than 3 did, and I really love most of the changes to the game. If New Vegas had all the system upgrades of 4, it would win for certain though.

New Vegas had a great style going on, definitely good stuff, but I think I am liking 4 a bit better when considering the whole package. 4 has a far better Wasteland feel than 3 did, and I really love most of the changes to the game. If New Vegas had all the system upgrades of 4, it would win for certain though.

I dislike the switch to a system based solely on perks. The story in New Vegas is far better. The quests in New Vegas were better too. I feel that Fallout 4 used boring quests to bulk up the number in the game (think brotherhood, minutemen, etc). While those groups do have a small number story quests, many of them are just the repeatable style of quest. I also found little enjoyment from the settlement building addition.

I do like that the cities in Fallout 4 are far more explorable than 3 and New Vegas. I as well like the big map filled with lots of places to look through, but story and quest quality really make the difference for me here.

Let me say that I do enjoy Fallout 4 and I love every fallout game, but I think for me New Vegas is the best of the 3 new ones.

• Like 1

Let's see, I'm level 43 or so. Just finished the main quest - finally killed off those brotherhood villains that had invaded the commonwealth. Killed off those pesky rebel alliance re-dubbed railroad members too. Got to be a good guy for once. :wink:

First character is always brute with durability focuses. Finally settled on a viable build.  Started with 10 strength and 10 endurance, with all other points in luck. I did, at one point, actually raise my CHA to 6 to get the local leader perk, not for supply lines, but because I can't build power armor stations without it.

I did max out that heavy load perks, and WOW those are amazing. There is no max limit, as far as I can tell, regarding weight that can be carried with a heavy load. I can go to the work shop, hit take all, then go to a battlefield and loot every corpse completely, then fast travel to the market and sell everything. There's a strong Synergy with the Rooted Perk, as your ap determines your ability to move, so you drain it as walk around, so lots of moving and stopping, which works well with that perk (and would never work in real life).

I did unarmed and used that fist weapon you get for defeating the boss of trinity tower for almost the entire game. I really like how this game doesn't require you to repair weapons, nor does it have your weapon go obsolete. More RPGs should adopt this approach. The upgrade system is also strong, as the later upgrades are not always better.

I did find that the "bloody mess" perk was a must for an unarmed character at early levels, as there just aren't very many viable unarmed weapons. And more so, no one seems to stock them regularly. So you end up using the same weapon for most of the game. Bloody mess and the unarmed perks are the main ways to get more viable damage outputs (other than cowardly sneaking up on enemies....).

On a side note, you don't require the armorer/blacksmith/gun nut perks to mod weapons if you already have the weapon model. Find a weapon with that mod already, swap that mod for one of the basic ones (like no muzzle, or standard grip), then swap mods on the weapon you want to mod. In hindsight, I think the crafting perks would be better for a late game character. Too bad the scrap function doesn't just let you keep the mods...

Still haven't finished the get beds for sanctuary quest. As it turns out, one of the late quests does require building a set of high energy consuming devices. So, does look like never learning the city building wouldn't be feasible.

Also turns out that no matter how many vertabirds you shoot down, the brotherhood will wait for you to start a certain quest, before they decide you are anything more than a temporary enemy.

Yes, Sammy is right. I've been collecting power armor frames and store them without the fusion core - I've never had a suit "borrowed" by an NPC as a result!

I found a solution. I built a section of the base that was inaccessible on all sides, put the welcome mat in there, then I'd just "store" a wall section and replace if I ever needed to leave. Proved very effective. After completing the main quest, I've removed the wall.

Though I did lose another suit of power armor because an airship landed on it. Still displays on the world map, but not in the local one.

I am going to go ahead and say it. New Vegas is the best of the modern fallouts.

I agree, for the most part.

That said, New Vegas was the fan-service version of fallout 3. I look forward to the fanservice version of fallout 4...Not sure if we'll get one, but I'm hoping.

In particular, very disappointed with how useless cannibalism is in Fallout 4. It was amazing in the previous two. Barely heals any health, the animation is terrible, and you can't keep bits of "human flesh" for later consumption. In New Vegas they even had secret perks for cannibalizing all the world leaders, or certain types or numbers of enemies.

Also disappointed with the lack of the survival mode that New Vegas featured, where they allowed you to die from thirst, sleep deprivation, hunger, and all inventory items had weight. Made it much harder and really balanced.

I have lost Dogmeat. He was in Sanctuary and has gone missing.

I hate Sanctuary for that reason, it's just hard to find all your NPCs due to the layout of that one.

There is a build-able option called the "Bell" which get's at least most of the NPCs to go front and center. That can help.

If you take the power cores out of your PA frames then NPCs can't use them. That interesting about the synths, I haven't encountered that yet.

Not sure if this one will work anymore, as I learned that you can command your companions to enter unpowered PA. I did find a solid way to keep townsfolk away, as mentioned above.

Also, as far as I can tell, that synth thing only happens during a certain section of the main quest line. I don't think it will happen now that I'm the Director of the Institute....

And another side note, I'm convinced that the Minutemen main quests are triggered by overall population in your settlements, not by completing their many side quests to randomly save or create villages.

Also, if you kill all the villagers in a town, it will let you use the workshop. Just a FYI if you don't want to do their quest. Preston is unhappy, but will assign a new random village to get allegiance. If you haven't done much exploring, this is actually a good way to learn where all the potential settlements are, as Preston will always assign villages that you lack workshop access. A few villages include unkill-able NPCs, but it isn't that many.

Another thing for those random quests to create new towns is that you can do is switch off the radio beacon, as it has an on/off switch. This allows you to meet preston's quest requirements to create a new town, without actually generating any settlers. This is good if you lack the resources to properly defend a town. Raiders won't attack towns with ZERO population. As above, no matter how many times you complete the quest, preston will never assign the main quests for the minutemen until your overall population increases. So he just keeps handing these quests out. It's a good way to find all the workshops.

I hate Sanctuary for that reason, it's just hard to find all your NPCs due to the layout of that one.

There is a build-able option called the "Bell" which get's at least most of the NPCs to go front and center. That can help.

Yeah, I keep thinking about that when not playing then forgetting to build it when playing... some much other shiny stuff to do in the game!

Okay, so my little brother is a PS3 player and I got him FO3 for his birthday recently. Was talking to him and he kept commenting on how hard the game was and he was annoyed by the lack of target assist that most games have. Turns out, he's been playing without VATS...He's also constantly running out of health because he refuses to consume food or drink that gives him radiation.

Hadn't really occurred to me how much explanation this game's setting requires. I've been playing since fallout 1, so the dumbed down fallout 3 wasn't anything new.

My little brother also hasn't played an RPG since Arcanum, so he's having a bit of a challenge adjusting to the idea of questing and such.

'My little brother can still be cute.

Whelp... the bell does not summon him... no idea where he went...

Darn. Was hoping. Try making a Dog house near where you spawn in Sanctuary. Though you need to make sure you scrap any other dog houses.

Oh, one thing is that if you do one of the main quests that requires a certain NPC to be somewhere, I've noticed it resets where the NPC is. If you did the quest where you follow Dogmeat, check out that fort's entry way where you depart Dogmeat at the end.

Re: Power Armor.  

* I can confirm that if you remove the power core from unused suits of power armor, NPCs do not get into them.

* You can buy additional/new Power Armor Frames from KLEO in Goodneighbor.  They cost around 5000 caps each. She restocks the frame all the time, if you got the cash.

* I have heard from someone I know, but have not verified personally, that if an NPC takes your power armor, you can pickpocket the power core off them and they will exit the suit. Note that I said pickpocket, not trade.

I personally think that FO4 is better than FO3 and New Vegas (although not by a large margin).  Personally, I didn't particularly care for the New Vegas main quest line.  I am having a lot of fun with the FO4 quest lines.  For example, the Silver Shroud quest line is a riot.

I love the Silver Shroud quest lines.  I insist on choosing the "Silver Shroud" dialogue choice of course every time.  Specially good as a female character.

I haven't started this yet...I found the costume already on a different quest to clear out hubris comics.  But haven't found the spot to actually start the silver shroud quest line.  The one time I found the radio station was by this pond and I got killed by this super big monster called The Swan.

I haven't started this yet...I found the costume already on a different quest to clear out hubris comics.  But haven't found the spot to actually start the silver shroud quest line.  The one time I found the radio station was by this pond and I got killed by this super big monster called The Swan.

Minor 'spoiler' below ...

To start the quest silver Shroud Quest:

Talk to Kent Connelly, who is in a room in the Memory Den in Goodneighbor.

I've lost Dogmeat a couple of times. He's pretty clumsy, often falling off ledges and getting snagged on terrain. If you are on the PC version, you can retrieve him via the console:

1. Enter console (type: ~)
  2. Type: prid0001d162 <enter>
  3. Type: moveto player <enter>
  4. Exit console (type: ~)

The one time I found the radio station was by this pond and I got killed by this super big monster called The Swan.

Swan is sooo weak. It's not the stats, but that he can't fit through doorways or jump and he's found in an urban environment, and his ranged attack is pretty easy to avoid. there's a bus on one of the street corners by swan, you can tactically retreat through that, then shoot him from the other side and he can only fail to hit you with rocks (they arc, so they can't really target things doorways or windows between them very well).

Anyway, various moments of wisdom within the game:

-You can use VATS to shoot your own recently thrown grenades, to get them detonate overhead.

-In the settlement builder, the "shack floor foundation" is the best bit for city construction. It's a giant block of concrete poorly placed in the "structures>wood>floor" tab. Best part is that it is very light on "space" consumption. It lines up well, though to make higher sections line up, I've found the stair option to work well for lining up the higher levels.

-Since a settlement is only able to support at most 20 people (10+CHA), most settlement lots are deceptively too large. You will feel compelled to use all the space, which then runs you out of "space."

-Plants don't require light to grow, they just need dirt. Making multi-leveled bases seems to be the best of getting the best defenses, while not exposing your settlers.

-Single Entrance settlements seem to function the best. The gate option (structures>fences>junk fence>gate) looks good, but the settlers cannot seem to grasp the idea of keeping it shut. Making too complicated an entrance seems to also confuse settlers to the point where they camp outside your city walls....Sad, as these elaborate defensive builds work especially well when attacked by invaders.

-The "tag for search" function is a nifty one. Basically when doing a recipe that you lack ingredients for, "tag for search" will make it so each time you encounter the missing ingredients in-game, they will have a "magnifying glass" symbol next to their name. If you max "scrounger" perks it will actually highlight items and containers, which include those ingredients (within a small radius).

-Chairs are dangerous. If you don't carefully control where the chairs are, your settlers will go off and "sit" in a chair that you do not know where it is. Beds, dog houses, and a few others also function like this.

-I'm currently experiementing with having an entire settlement themed around hazmat suits. City is accessed from the radioactive pool in the movie drive through. I've been unclear if enemy NPCs can take damage from passive sources of radiation.

I've lost Dogmeat a couple of times. He's pretty clumsy, often falling off ledges and getting snagged on terrain. If you are on the PC version, you can retrieve him via the console:

1. Enter console (type: ~)
  2. Type: prid0001d162 <enter>
  3. Type: moveto player <enter>
  4. Exit console (type: ~)

Nice, I tried finding that command but had no luck. Thanks.

Yeah, I remove all chairs except a few or a bench in a clear location, so I can find unassigned workers more easily. I played around with traps, but found they were too hard to get raiders to prof them reliably. Also they keep bugging out and trigger as soon as I build them or repair them.