Fallout 4

Wow... the power armor upgrade for helmets that highlights "living targets" also highlights turrets, robots, and ghouls. When they say living, they mean as opposed to corpses. Very impressive upgrade.

The other fun one I discovered, is that the heavy laser turrets have really crazy range. My Fortress is built on Kingston Lighthouse and I discovered that if you put turrets on the top balcony of the light house, they can actually hit things all around the base. Though, it makes for a laser light show of pure madness whenever you get attacked.... :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A few expansions since my last post. Wasteland Workshop and Automaton. They also released a patch that added a modified Survival mode which is really hardcore. The Far Shore expansion should be out very soon.

Reviews and such:

Automaton is awesome. The quest is fun and the build-a-bot is a neat option, if not a bit OP. The robots can replace all of the settlers in a settlement and you can replace their voices with just beeps, should  you want to be left alone while playing. Their weapon options are really over powered (dual gatling lasers and such).

Wasteland Workshop is a big functionality patch, adding many items that just make the settlement-game work better. For example, they added a Fusion Power Generator that pretty much replaces the need for multiple generators in a town. They also added an improved water generator for towns without natural water features. Several others too. That said, this one only adds to settlements and isn't too useful for the rest of the gameplay.

Survival mode is downright unplayable at low levels. You can't save the game except by resting in bed. If you don't sleep enough, you get a disease that you need to find a doctor to cure. If you sleep too much, you also get a disease. And, no more fast travel... Plus the game only informs you when you lack things by giving you negative status markers. You can't tell if you need food until you take penalties for not having enough food. Some beds don't count for sleep, but you don't know which until you try sleeping in them (not declared when building). They also altered it so you take an incredible of damage from any hits, which is really fierce when coupled with being unable to save with beds. With an already time consuming game, Survival mode makes you constantly waste time and effort due to the save mechanic. I really hope they patch this...

Survival mode is downright unplayable at low levels.

Might have overreacted. Tried again, this time with a 10 endurance character....So, yeah. Survival mode is playable, but really isn't very fun at low levels (and might not be a high levels either...). It does offer a really cool change to the game mechanics, as each settlement is now much more important as it is a save location, not just a place to store your stuff.

Survival mode notes:

-Empty bottles can be filled at drinking fountains and water pumps (making empty nuka cola and milk bottles into purified water). This is only a survival mode thing.

-The Cannibalism perk will give you a disease called "Dark Cravings" which prevents you from benefiting from normal food if you eat corpses...(and I thought I was really clever using that perk to bypass my need for so much food). It can be cured by a doctor for 75 caps, but will be regained if you ever use the perk again. Food will still heal you with the disease, it just doesn't count for starvation.

-Antibiotics is a stimpack-like item that can be created at Chemistry stations to cure diseases. It requires 1 rank in Chemistry (which requires 7 intelligence to select). You can purchase or randomly find antibiotics too. Otherwise, diseases can be cured only by doctors.

-I really want a horse. I miss skyrim's horses....Losing fast travel really sucks. At higher levels I think there will be some fast travel options in the form of brotherhood airlifts or institute "lightning" travel, but I'm pretty slow right now.

-Settlements are no longer an optional part of Fallout 4. I need the save points and the rest, and most beds in the wilderness won't give me the sleep I need. Not being able to fast travel between settlements is also a huge issue for maintaining them, as it looks like I'll have to build each one to perfection before I move on. A long game ahead.

Okay, survival mode is play-able. That said, it arrived too late. I'm bored. I've already played 99% of the game several times over, so making a special mode that makes the base game progress slower is exactly what I would have wanted several months ago, but it's rather aggravating now, with no new content to explore.

For a basic Survival mode guide:

-INT 6 or 7 is a must. Get 1 rank in Chemist when you can, that gives antibiotics from a chemistry station, as I think the many diseases are a bit too devastating at low levels.

The glowing mushrooms, required for antibiotics, can easily be found in the cave under the Red Rocket Truck Stop, right next to Sanctuary. Other ingredients are easily found.

-Distance is a big deal due to the loss of fast travel. Big settlements are wisely constructed with beds on the borders, for when you really need sleep. Water Pumps are also a good option to have in lots of locations. Stimpaks and Rad Away, in particular, cause major dehydration.

-Power Armor is less useful and less reliable. Fusion Cores each weigh 6 or 7 lbs, plus the loss of fast travel, means you really have to accept that you won't be using power armor most of the time. Also, since being overburdened now inflicts damage, be careful when you exit the power armor, as you may be overburdened (same issue with crafting tables...).

-And, in case you didn't already know, you don't have to do those quests to gain settlements. If you kill all the settlers, the settlement becomes free for the taking. Yeah, evil, but when owning a settlement is required to make and sleep in a bed, which in turn is required to save, it becomes less evil and more a survival mechanism.

Distant Shores DLC launched a bit ago. Still haven't unlocked any of it.

On a side note, if playing survival mode, you can't changed the difficulty and then go back to your save file, as it will auto-save when you change the difficult. And fallout4 doesn't allow you to change back to survial mode once you've left it.

My survival mode character is no longer survival mode. Sad.

Good looking out Pax thank you for the public service type announcement. Sorry you had to experience it tho

Meh, annoying, but I really wasn't enjoying that survival mode anyway. I've been going through on Very Easy, which is much more fun for casual use (I did already beat it on the old survival mode a couple of times).

I do feel weird being the only one posting on this thread. Surprised it died down so much, so shortly after launch.

Regarding survival mode presently, I really think it was poorly designed for the game. They need so many more additions to that game to make survival mode enjoyable. I'd start with portable beds, which it doesn't have. Not sure why we'd need to find actual, decaying beds to sleep on in the post apocalyptic future.

Hate relying on outside sources (feels like cheating), but here's a link to SOME of the effects of survival mode: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Survival_mode

From there, here's the real time breakdown that makes survival mode so un-enjoyable to adventure in:

Every 12 minutes you will be parched due to lack of water (-1 INT).

Every 18 minutes you will be peckish due to hunger (-1 END)

Every 61 minutes you will be tired due to lack of sleep (-5% ap refresh rate)

And these are just conditions, not the many diseases you can now acquire. Nor does it include the many additional ways to be parched, peckish or tired due to using certain items.

I added it up, in fallout 4, a day is about 54 minutes of actual playing per 24 hours of in-game time. And you should be sleeping for 8 hours in there (making the day about 36 minutes long).

And on top of everything, there still isn't a clock in the HUD, you have to go into the menu to see what time it is in-game.

I really want to like this game, but I keep fantasising about playing New Vegas or Skyrim....I've already played them too much, but they worked and this game is all kinds of poorly designed.

Okay, so Rank 3 of the Nuclear Physist perk:

Fusion Cores can be ejected from Power Armor like devastating grenades and Fusion Cores last twice as long.

What it doesn't say is that this means you are unable to use bash attacks while in power armor. Instead, you will eject a perfectly good 500-ish cap power core onto the ground, where it will explode, damaging yourself and your companion.

So my character, this time, went with heavy weapons, power armor, and bash attacks. I was very upset to learn that not only am I no longer able to use bash attacks in power armor, but I'm also rapidly wasting expensive power cores each time I tap R1.

Once you just ignore the settlements and make supply lines it is easy! I love all the experience from crafting. Cooking up some vegetable starch for adhesive is a great way to go. With enough settlements growing the components and some industrial sized water purifiers in sanctuary you are set!

I made the links and all of a sudden lots of crafting avaliable! Toss some scrapping stations and plant allot of food then go to town! Gain a new settlement? Actually be able to build stuff from previous locations with out hunting for bitz.

As a side note collect all the bones you can there is a utility recipe at the Chem station for bone and acid to bulk produce something useful!

Minor follow-up: was wrong regarding bash and the power core grenades. Technically, bash taps R1, while grenades hold down R1. So, technically there is no loss. That said, it's very easy to hold instead of tap, so I think bash focused characters don't want to risk it.

So, side note, did a fresh character and powered through the main quest and the Far Shores main quest.

Completed the main questline in a day, which included very few side questing or crafting. I've done it a bunch of times, so I didn't get lost or anything. Level 23 was what I finished the main quest at. I did the idiot savant perk at 15th level, or so, and I'd wager I'd get closer to only 20th level with the main quest without that perk.

That idiot savant perk is getting me 2500xp for finishing a 500 xp quest. Yeah, I've completed a single quest and gained two levels....

This character has an INT of 1, which helps the idiot savant perk.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...