Painted Models Only / WYSIWYG Only

pretre

So, a lot of events have these listed as a criteria for attending/receiving prizes.

Do you find that attendees follow it?

Do you follow it?

Do TOs enforce it?

Is it necessary?

This is not meant to single out anyone or cause any drama. Just interested, since in my experience the answers to those questions are: No. Yes. No. Maybe. For me, that's a bit frustrating since I go to a lot of effort to paint/convert only to see a lot of others not do the same.

I've enjoyed a few tournaments in the past where painted figs were required, with a hard-restriction for it. Those events tended to be smaller than the norm, but there was definitely something appealing to being in a tournament where -every- figure you faced was actually painted.

To me, it's a part of the hobby. If a tournament doesn't require it, I'd love for there to be some other benefit from having a painted force. Re-rolls or some other sort of in-game bonus. But that's just me.

I've known -lots- of people who are vehemently against any sort of 'painted figure benefit'. To a lot of people, the game is more important than pretty colors.

-Tim

• Like 2

I usually see those followed in Tournaments that specify those requirements. The big exception is whole-sale Chapter-hopping, which was particularly a thing back when Dark Angels sucked. That's pretty clear, tho, just "OK, all these guys are actually Ultramarines, not Dark Angels" or whatever. Most of the rest of the exceptions were due to minis being forgotten and/or broken, and needing something subbed in right then.

I have also seen a few Armies that were really pushing the letter of the law when it comes to a three colour minimum requirement. Dudes sprayed one colour, and then their Bolters get some silver and one shoulder pad gets another colour.

I usually see those followed in Tournaments that specify those requirements. The big exception is whole-sale Chapter-hopping, which was particularly a thing back when Dark Angels sucked. That's pretty clear, tho, just "OK, all these guys are actually Ultramarines, not Dark Angels" or whatever. Most of the rest of the exceptions were due to minis being forgotten and/or broken, and needing something subbed in right then.

I have also seen a few Armies that were really pushing the letter of the law when it comes to a three colour minimum requirement. Dudes sprayed one colour, and then their Bolters get some silver and one shoulder pad gets another colour.

I think the first part is just counts-as, which is generally in the rules for most events. As long as it is wysiwyg, the paint job shouldn't matter. Not wysiwyg and just proxies though is far too common.

I've enjoyed a few tournaments in the past where painted figs were required, with a hard-restriction for it. Those events tended to be smaller than the norm, but there was definitely something appealing to being in a tournament where -every- figure you faced was actually painted.

To me, it's a part of the hobby. If a tournament doesn't require it, I'd love for there to be some other benefit from having a painted force. Re-rolls or some other sort of in-game bonus. But that's just me.

I've known -lots- of people who are vehemently against any sort of 'painted figure benefit'. To a lot of people, the game is more important than pretty colors.

-Tim

I like the idea of some advantage for fully painted!
  • Like 2

I have had to enforce this. I often place a three color minimum on the tournament. We often raffle for prizes ( bonus entries for best paint, sports and general) but you're simply not prize eligible if you dont meet that standard. People probably do think they're getting one over on me. I had a guy show up with four detachments. Slipped an assassin detachment and I didnt catch it at first but his opponent did. Guess whose name wasnt in the drawing? So my bad for missing it, but he didnt profit.

I even had to have a guy remove his warp spiders AND a unit of pathfinder and he was a buddy who knew better. Tisk tisk. We're still buddies but rules is rules.

I imagine not every trangression gets caught. But thats been how we handle it

• Like 1

I have had to enforce this. I often place a three color minimum on the tournament. We often raffle for prizes ( bonus entries for best paint, sports and general) but you're simply not prize eligible if you dont meet that standard. People probably do think they're getting one over on me. I had a guy show up with four detachments. Slipped an assassin detachment and I didnt catch it at first but his opponent did. Guess whose name wasnt in the drawing? So my bad for missing it, but he didnt profit.

I even had to have a guy remove his warp spiders AND a unit of pathfinder and he was a buddy who knew better. Tisk tisk. We're still buddies but rules is rules.

I imagine not every trangression gets caught. But thats been how we handle it

That's good to hear!

As a guy who never wins I fully support the raffle concept. Removing the "Winner gets prizes" encourages guys in my position to enter. Extra ticket for champion, best painted etc is fine with me, they should get something for the accomplishment. Just knowing there's a chance I could walk out with something is big;)

theres a lot of places who do raffles. That's kind of beside the point though. ;)

Yeah, Guardian Cup is one that jumps to mind- there's guaranteed prizes for Best Sports, Best Painted, and Best General, and everything else (which is to say the majority of the total prize support) is raffled off to the other attendees.

As for the original question:

I find that the vast majority of tournament-goes play WYSIWYG and with painted models. Not always well-painted models, but that's a different sort of standard and a different discussion altogether. Occasionally I've run into the "all these plasmas are meltas" guy, but that's actually fairly uncommon in my experience.

I basically won't play with stuff that isn't WYSIWYG in a tournament- my armies are complicated enough without also adding in layers of proxying on top of the rest. I prefer having painted models- and I always adhere to tournament paint requirements- but to be quite honest I wouldn't always do so if it weren't required. I have a lot of minis and I swap around between things quite often, meaning more than a few of them aren't painted.

I've never had an issue where I had to call a TO over for non-painted/WYSIWYG models in the opponent's army. I've seen some grey plastic armies before, but typically the penalty on that (can't win prizes/awards) is enough to keep it to maybe one guy in a tournament.

I do think that both requirements are good things for tournament. Despite my own laziness, I like seeing painted models on the table,and I know if it weren't a requirement for things I wouldn't get nearly as much painting done. It's a good motivator for folks and gives a set goal to work towards.

• Like 3

I dont feel as if painting "should" be required at every tournament. But most of mine have had the requirement

I'd say if it's not a requirement, you are removing it as a soft requirement, you are increasing the value of best general and increasing the "hardness" of the event participants.  Hard Boyz comes to mind. 

Although, I'd like to see this style tourney be to encourage newbs (if those still exist) to go to events even though they only have 700 of their 2500 primed, and only 100 of that painted.  Although that sounds more like my points vs painted break down lol

I just attended one that had no paint rquirement and took a list I dont normally because it wasn't painted.  Kind of a special cae, but I did it.  I didnt fel like a bad player for doing it.  But when three color minimums are there, thats the rules and I dont think three colors is too much to ask unless they are new.  

Its the new people I always am thinking about when I do anything

Aside from anything else, personally I find it difficult at times to tell what weapons unpainted modals are carrying in squads, when presented by a load of grey/primed only modals, picking out the plasma gunner from the guys with bolters suddenly becomes a bit more of a task.

Unpainted and not wysiwyg is a headache to play against.

• Like 1

I play pretty much exclusively at two day events and most have a wysiwyg and painted as standard. I rarely see stuff that aren't either. I think the standards are lowered to encourage new players to come out or to fill small events.

I find it annoying when people skirt the rules and have two colored slashes on black primed minis but I don't know what a TO will do about it.

I just attended one that had no paint rquirement and took a list I dont normally because it wasn't painted.  Kind of a special cae, but I did it.  I didnt fel like a bad player for doing it.  But when three color minimums are there, thats the rules and I dont think three colors is too much to ask unless they are new.  

Its the new people I always am thinking about when I do anything

Which one was that?

I play pretty much exclusively at two day events and most have a wysiwyg and painted as standard. I rarely see stuff that aren't either. I think the standards are lowered to encourage new players to come out or to fill small events.

I find it annoying when people skirt the rules and have two colored slashes on black primed minis but I don't know what a TO will do about it.

I would agree that this is a local event problem more than a big event problem, at least in my experience.

I'd say if it's not a requirement, you are removing it as a soft requirement, you are increasing the value of best general and increasing the "hardness" of the event participants.  Hard Boyz comes to mind. 

Although, I'd like to see this style tourney be to encourage newbs (if those still exist) to go to events even though they only have 700 of their 2500 primed, and only 100 of that painted.  Although that sounds more like my points vs painted break down lol

Competitiveness and painting are not two sides of a scale. Painting doesn't get worse the more competitive you make an event; Competition doesn't go down the more you emphasize paint. I think that it is more complicated than that.

I do agree that things like small tourneys and escalation leagues should reward but not require painting.

• Like 2