Painted Models Only / WYSIWYG Only

pretre

For serious.  I hate painting.  I love painted armies, but it's a chore I do like cleaning gutters or patching holes in my driveway. 

One thing that's cool to me about this genre of games is that there are so many different reasons people like to play them.  I personally enjoy the heck out of army design, painting, and playing.  To a lesser extent conversions can be fun too, but mostly I like to tweak models I like into models I love very subtly (see my scratch built 5 part lance that I built for my Bret lord).  I dislike assembly but at least the plastics have gotten better and I don't have to scrape/file as many mold lines as back in the day.

I personally am to the point where I almost don't want to play someone unless his/her army is fully painted to a decent quality, because to me the games themselves are pretty darn weak if you take out the visual element.  Unpainted models or primer black (ugh) just ruins the visual for me.  40k is such a badly designed game (as was WFB!) in general that it's hard for me to imagine wanting to play just for the game's sake, but I know other perfectly intelligent people disagree ;)  Malifaux has proven to be so good rules-wise that I enjoy the hell out of a game even with unpainted minis, but the game looks SO much better with all painted figs on the table, wow!

Anyway nobody asked me but that's kinda my take.  And I'm really glad like I said that so many people find things that draw them, or we wouldn't have awesome guys like fluger (everybody's favorite, I know!) at our tournaments :)

• Like 4

To be clear, playing with painted minis is always preferable, but the process to me is so onerous.  Strangely, I like converting and putting together models for the most part, but I have pretty meaty hands made for farming (Fluger is a Anglicized version of Pfleuger in German, which means "Plowman", shows up as Fluker, Pfluger, and various others) and not for painting.  I get cramps and screw up so much that it's frustrating.  Also, I spent CONSIDERABLE time on the 70 or so Orks I painted fully (16 colors each), but at table top level they were virtually indistinguishable from the others I did at 3 color minimum.  Considering the time difference I just can't muster up the energy to paint them beyond the bare minimum when all that extra effort is essentially wasted.  

If I was a man of greater means I'd pay some service to paint my army (I had my Empire painted by someone else when I had more money) because I just HATE the process SO much.  

• Like 2

Some people put more time into Generalship.  Some people into Painting.  Some into Modeling.  Some Balance all 3 and still manage to excel in multiple areas.  Not everyone is gifted.  Not everyone is committed.  Not everyone has the same free time.  Not everyone has the same priorities.  However, Assembling and Painting the models are as much a part of the 40k Hobby as playing the game is.  I think Flesh, Cloth/Armor, and Weapons is not asking too much.  That's not even detailed.  Drybrush it for all I care.  Dip it and touch up.  It don't matter much.  

• Like 3

As much as i love seeing beautiful models all painted up and stuff i have only ever painted 2 armies my dark eldar and my necrons but both times ive gone to tournaments with either army i feel like all i got was weird looks because i couldn't paint very well so kinda discouraging to put paint on models anymore. I am working on models but i cant stand painting

As much as i love seeing beautiful models all painted up and stuff i have only ever painted 2 armies my dark eldar and my necrons but both times ive gone to tournaments with either army i feel like all i got was weird looks because i couldn't paint very well so kinda discouraging to put paint on models anymore. I am working on models but i cant stand painting

Don't let people get you down; it's worth it to paint, even if it's bad.

I don't paint very well, but I've worked on it over time so that i can fake it really well. As long as it looks okay from a couple feet away, you're fine.

And really they were probably looking at you weird because you brought DE. ;)

Here is a question.

So for imperial guard they have things like cadian battle groups or catachan ambush patrol. Since there exists two different models (cadians and catachans) does that mean you cant field cadian models in a catachan ambush patrol?

As long as your clear, consistent and cool, it won't matter. If some of your guard are catachans and count as cadians and some of them are counting as catachans, that would be bad. If all your catachans count as cadians though, you should be fine.

So, a lot of events have these listed as a criteria for attending/receiving prizes.

Do you find that attendees follow it?

Do you follow it?

Do TOs enforce it?

Is it necessary?

This is not meant to single out anyone or cause any drama. Just interested, since in my experience the answers to those questions are: No. Yes. No. Maybe. For me, that's a bit frustrating since I go to a lot of effort to paint/convert only to see a lot of others not do the same.

Not enforced. Never been to a 40k event where every army had every model fully painted. And I'm a bystander at most of these events.

Often TOs will dock points or prize support, but they don't reject players.

Sometimes the unpainted models are part of a player's army who was added to the event last minute and given special exception. Although reasonable, it does remain an unqualified army for the event.

Though personally, I'd rather see an unpainted army than some of the ones I see which are painted only to meet the 3-color minimum and lack any attempt to look good (and my armies are often in this state).

I've also seen armies where the player insisted that basing counted towards the color requirement. It doesn't in my book, but not something the event specified.

Generally most tournaments I've attended have a 3 color minimum and WYSIWYG.

Coming from a smaller community, it's harder to enforce the painting requirement for events, campaigns, and tournaments. But I believe and have seen that people generally have a better attitude and better time against opponents with fully painted armies. It lightens the mood and seems to soften the blow. Yes I know there are exceptions both ways, but this is generally what I've seen.

That said, I'm all for the 3 color minimum and I myself even have a hard time adhering to that. I'm making an effort, putting forth the time to get there though. I was a grey plastic general for a long time and had to make a conscious effort after enjoying a couple of fully painted events to really push myself so that my opponents could have that level of respect from me. The respect that I took the time to put some loving care into painting and basing my armies. 

TO's have the hardest choice to decide how to handle someone who knew the rules, and chose to bend or break them anyway. It happens and sometimes it's just dang unavoidable. A model broke, or you packed the wrong one by accident. It happens. To account for these mistakes and potential problems we enforce it with the special rule: Preferred Enemy "Unpainted" and Preferred Enemy "Non-WYSIWYG".

In a smaller community that doesn't have a ton of players like Portland or Seattle, it seems to work fine and help. Does a couple things....

First, I like this policy because if you did have an accident with a model, forgot one, dropped and broke it, or even just didn't get it all the way painted, you aren't severely punished by that 1 or 2 models. You are at a slight disadvantage, but not earth shattering.

Second, if you were the Mega-Bozo that chose to ignore the event rules with painting and showed up with a grey army, you will be at a severe disadvantage. You likely won't have a very good showing, and it's very unlikely that you'll end up on the winning end of the stick. However, if you were just there to play and have a great time, you can still do so. The raffle might be kind, but you won't be eligible for the top or 4 prizes (Best General, Best Sports, Best Overall, Best Painted). You can still get a shot at a small gift card and have a good time though.

As for the philosophy and thinking on the painting vs. affecting overall....

I'm a firm believer that "Best Overall" means just that. If you put forth an effort and tried to better your painting, you'll do just fine. I've seen plenty of armies painted up to a pretty good standard and it didn't take Golden Demon amount of time to do it. But if you put in the bare minimum, then it's just the same as being just a so-so opponent sportsmanship wise. Best Overall means you put forth the effort in painting up the best you can, tried to make sure your opponents had the most crazy awesomest time they could, and you put the beat down with bringing the pain.

All too often it seems that people who won a lot of games weight the General part of the triumverate far too heavily. Like 70% and only 15% for Sportsmanship and Painting. I see them as 33% in all, so yes I can see someone who went 4-1 winning best overall over someone who went 5-0 but maybe was a turd to play against and had a bare minimum 3 colors. For some people Painting comes easy, others they can see the games playing out before the first die is already thrown and win games like crazy.....and still others are so much fun to play against, that I'd be happy playing 5 games all weekend against just them even if I lose them all.

That said, Raffles are awesome, you have a shot at fortune and glory even if you haven't perfected your game. They give everyone a chance at winning something cool, even if you're just Mr. Joe Average out for a good time, meeting new peeps, and having some fun games.

• Like 3

Back when I started the hobby, in 3rd edition, mandatory painted armies seemed to be more of thing. Mind you, allot of people went with Black Templars as their Marines, which aren't too hard to field at tabletop standard. Although screw white, in all its guises.

Returning to the hobby in 7th edition, it seems either armies look really pretty, as where dry brushing was the go to back in 3rd, now people use fancy airbrushing and/or washes which look good and aren't rocket science.

Or they field the grey/black tide.

I try to paint something to tabletop standard before fielding it, and after that at my leisure I'll do some basic highlighting or free hand to just spruce them up a bit when I feel like it. Not a massive fan of painting myself, touch of the perfectionism gene and a lack of patience, do not make a good combo.

At Least I know myself, to avoid the hard colours and keep it basic. Metals, black and blues for the win!

I totally prefer the raffled prizes but run both types just so that those who are competitive like me can still get their fix once in a while without making it punitive overall to less skilled folks. But I am not the biggest fan of Best Overall as top prize. Some games have embraced a "Renaissance Man" award which is Best Ocerall in its composition, but is not larger than the other awards. I could dig that. Growing the community favors raffled prizes. So As TO I prefer it.

Back when I started the hobby, in 3rd edition, mandatory painted armies seemed to be more of thing. Mind you, allot of people went with Black Templars as their Marines, which aren't too hard to field at tabletop standard. Although screw white, in all its guises.

Ceramite White. GW's paints aren't the best as a general thing, but the current base range is a serious game-changer when it comes to red, white, and yellow.

Preferred enemy (unpainted/not wysiwyg) is my favorite thing ever.

Any Tournament I may end up running is totally including that :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wherever Chapel is, apparently yes.

Down in Eugene, and I run that rule in my campaigns or any tournament that I plan to run.

I've heard of other people using that rule too, so it seems to be catching on and I dig that!

I can't take credit for it though, I heard that somewhere else too and loved the rule.

• Like 1