Batman VS Superman

andozane

OK, so I'm sure everyone has had a chance to see this new trailer they released.

https://youtu.be/YfLuAfGaNVk?list=PLCRHG7EIFlDpaa9NLtpgTZo-ssEHVt2mz

Thoughts?  Personally...I was holding on to some hope for this film from the teaser.  I'm in no way a DC person...enjoyed the first two Dark Knight movies, thought the 3rd one was terrible and did not like MoS one bit.  The over seriousness of their movies with the plot holes just doesn't work for me...which is why so far I have preferred the Marvel offerings (plus I totally read Marvel as a kid).

That being said...I'm really really sad that it appears the studios gave up on the notion that telling the Superman VS Batman story would be good enough, so they are tossing in Doomsday to bring everyone together?

I will give them bonus points if they have Doomsday kill superman, and that way they can cover three MAJOR DC comic stories in just one movie :)

• Like 1

I always smile and giggle when I hear Marvel fans talk about how they hate how the DC movies have plot holes.  You guys haven't really paid a great deal of attention to the problems in the Marvel movies.  

They're movies.  Like them, don't like them, that's fine.  However, it's silly to bash one you don't like and say that they should be like the ones you do like.  DC has never really been about doing what Marvel does, and Marvel has been more popular since the sixties and has more fans, which is why their movies do better.

i didn't see where I said Marvel movies don't...they do as well.  They are just forgiveable as they haven't taken themselves near as seriously.  If  the Marvel movies were all serious and no laughs, yeah, they would get the same dislike from me.  But at least their movies have been a lot of fun (for the most part).

I am looking forward to this movie and I did like Man of Steel. But after seeing that latest trailer I think my excitement for it has went down a bit, they pretty much gave away the whole movie with the trailer.

To be honest, I would rather see this kind of trailer than the teaser for Man of Steel.  "You, too, will believe a man can fish!"  I mean, what the heck?

It's not like there was a whole lot of illusion about how they were going to handle this one.  The only news in this trailer is that they included Doomsday.

I have to second the comment about DC taking their universe very seriously in stark contrast to... well... Stark in particular, but the rest of the Marvel universe as well.

In general, I have to say that I am just tired of the DC movie-verse and their writers' struggles.  They had a shot at grabbing Joss before he did Avengers and they let him go because they didn't like his work.  They've got iconic heroes from the Golden Age of comics when things were not gritty and their characters are inherently 2-dimensional ideals from that era, the exception being, of course, Batman as rewritten by Moore Miller.  Unfortunately, the Dark Knight films rescued a failing DC movie-verse and now they think everything should be dark and gritty but the big, blue boy scout is not good at gritty and Wonder Woman is supposed to be a naive idealist from Themyscira who came to America because of our pure and noble ideals (anyone seen those in the DC-verse lately?).

I'd like to be wrong about this, by the way.  I'd love to see Clark Kent make an impassioned speech to Bruce Wayne about noble ideals and how Gotham is dark and gritty specifically because of Batman (not just a speech about how bad Batman is for causing fear and uncertainty) but I don't think DC has the guts to write that speech these days (nor do I think I could pull it off from the corner I think they have written themselves into).  Just makes it hard for me to be very hopeful.

edit: Fixed my error in attribution.

• Like 1

i didn't see where I said Marvel movies don't...they do as well.  They are just forgiveable as they haven't taken themselves near as seriously.  If  the Marvel movies were all serious and no laughs, yeah, they would get the same dislike from me.  But at least their movies have been a lot of fun (for the most part).

I can't see how making something light-hearted and funny makes up for crappy writing.

Don't get me wrong, Wave 1 Marvel movies were great.  Even Thor, which I thought was very borderline to begin with.  Then there's the Wave 2 shenanigans.  It has been lazy writing and bad dialogue, horribly bland villains who continually make horrible decisions.

It's not to say that DC doesn't have it's issues.  But again, there's always the hypocrisy of "Marvel's universe is light and fluffy I love it!  DC is so dark and brooding, don't like it!  Daredevil was so dark and brooding, love it!"

I personally prefer the DC TV universe much better, but I feel that it's better done in a TV series anyways.  

Both have taken license with their super heroes, and done things which don't follow the comics.  Some people don't like DC's writing, and that's fine.  Again, they don't have as big a fan base, and haven't in a long time.  The big thing is that one cannot say "gosh, they were great way back when" when basically they were not serious story telling and just generally PSA's.  I mean, the ACA launched a crusade against Batman because they thought he was gay and Robin was his lover for goodness sakes.  In fact, Batman was largely considered a joke until The Dark Knight Returns, which, for the record, was pretty dark.

Don't get me wrong.  I *like* the dark knight concept and the character and the way he's written.  That's the whole point of the dark knight.  It was a huge step away from the Golden Age icons of the DC-verse.  The problem is that they have never successfully done it with Supes and I am not sure that I want them too.  Supes (and Wonder Woman) have always been (and therefore in my mindset are supposed to be) idealists who don't question the choice to "do the right thing".  As a result they don't work in a gritty movie like the trailers portray so far here.

By contrast, look at the Marvel-verse.  They have Stark who is angsty start to finish plus Banner and Black Widow.  They still manage to have Cap and Thor and now Vision who are largely 2-D ideals writ large.  Think of the scene in Winter Soldier where Cap declares that he's shutting it all down, SHIELD as well because SHIELD is what made the expansion of HYDRA possible.  No angst, no whining, no moroseness.  Just an idealist decision.  Sure there are holes in the writing.  There always will be when writing about gods and demigods like this.  The difference is that Marvel still *has* different characters.  The DC movies are all trying to recast the icons as the Dark Knight which is not being done well and is not what I want from those characters.

This latest trailer for BvS just underwhelms. I've never been a 'fan' of the BvS theme, because everyone knows - like Superman says in the trailer - if he WANTED Bats dead, he'd be dead. Kryptonite or no Kryptonite. A friend argued, 'but that's the dilemma! Superman doesn't want to kill'. Blah blah blah. Zzzzzzz.

Will I go see BvS? Probably, for the nostalgia I have for Bats. Don't care about Superman, Aquaman, or Wonder Woman (and I agree, the actress for WW is just... meh). Cavil plays a fair Clark/Superman (I didn't think MoS was all that great, but it was certainly better than Brandon Routh's version). But I'll go see it for Bats - and because I genuinely do like Ben as an actor.

But in regards to this topic - the trailer left me feeling 'meh'. I watched the Capt America Civil War trailer and was pumped enough to watch it 3-4 more times right away, just like when I saw each Star Wars trailer. I saw the BvS trailer and thought.... meh. But I -do- think that it will do great in tix sales. This movie year could be enormous with all the stuff coming out.

-Tim

Hello there,

Thoughts?  Not excited one bit and I'm a huuuuuuuge Batman reader.

As a big time comic fan and collector, I find it nigh-impossible to separate what I've read from what gets "told" on the silver screen.  I understand that the screen versions are geared to get the most dollars, which is why stories have liberties with plot lines, castings, etc.  Gotcha, it's business.  An accurate comic story probably wouldn't make as much bank for the studio.

Too often the movies just disappoint.  But hey, the kids usually like them. 

Stay safe,

don

For the record, I will see it.  Trailer didn't do anything to me one way or another.  

I however, thought Man of Steel was a decent movie, and in no way making Superman into a "Dark Knight" character.  I don't see that with this one either, and in fact, it seems that so much of Batman's reasoning is because he believes he is more like say, a Dark Knight when he's not.

But, I don't really care if there's plot holes in these movies or not.  They're comic book movies.  I'd rather they don't get sloppy and lazy.  Captain America 2 was by far the best movie out of Marvel since Iron Man, and the third act was just horribly lazy and full of comic cliche which they seemed to not do in quite a few movies they have done.  

Still watched it.  Still liked the first 2/3rds where I'd recommend the movie.  

• Like 1

Hello there,

Thoughts?  Not excited one bit and I'm a huuuuuuuge Batman reader.

As a big time comic fan and collector, I find it nigh-impossible to separate what I've read from what gets "told" on the silver screen.  I understand that the screen versions are geared to get the most dollars, which is why stories have liberties with plot lines, castings, etc.  Gotcha, it's business.  An accurate comic story probably wouldn't make as much bank for the studio.

Too often the movies just disappoint.  But hey, the kids usually like them. 

Stay safe,

don

How many times have you read an alternate universe/timeline or "what if" title? How often in comics to stories get changed? All the time.

Why is it so hard to view the movies as an alternate story line? If they were exactly the same then what would be the point?

• Like 1

Case in point with current topic vs. others.  I've heard gripes from people talking about how they think it's awful that Doomsday is supposedly a modified Zod, but no one seemed to care that Ultron was made by Tony Stark and Bruce Banner instead of Hank Pym.

Shut up you!!!! :tongue:

I thought Doomsday was a trash villain anyway. Guy randomly crashes into earth, starts breaking stuff, superman comes in to fight him, and they kill each other with super punches... Wee! Was Superman's one weakness involved? No, just punches. Did doomsday have some cool plot? No he just showed up to make the Superman dies story happen and drive sales. I have no clue what crap they made up after the fact to explain doomsday, but his appearance and plot line were trash. Maybe as a Zod Clone he'll bother to make some sense... Still looks stupid though...

Case in point with current topic vs. others.  I've heard gripes from people talking about how they think it's awful that Doomsday is supposedly a modified Zod, but no one seemed to care that Ultron was made by Tony Stark and Bruce Banner instead of Hank Pym.

I know I read plenty of bitching about the lack of Pym in Avengers 2 and Ultron.  Plenty of people cared, I know I didn't.  I was more absorbed in Disney making the Wonder Twins Inhumans instead of Mutants and working towards removing the X-Men and other Mutants from the main comic universe since they don't own the rights to the films.  [big bad swear word] you, Disney.  *goes back to waiting for Ep7*

I think that's because the lack of Pym was the least of Age of Ultron's problems. Only the existence of The Incredible Hulk saves it from being the worst entry in the MCU.

• Like 2