Well, Crap

Raindog

I know things are not suppose to last forever, but the storm last night turn off the power in the house and killed my iMac. It won't turn on. I have tried all the internet tricks. Meh and Phooey.

First, my old car and now this.............

Do you keep your iMac plugged into a surge protector.  If so, most surge protectors have some kind of warranty if they don't protect the devices.  If not, I recommend using a surge protector on all expensive and important electrical devices in the future.  Make sure you get something with around 3000 joules of protection.

• Like 1

Do you keep your iMac plugged into a surge protector.  If so, most surge protectors have some kind of warranty if they don't protect the devices.  If not, I recommend using a surge protector on all expensive and important electrical devices in the future.  Make sure you get something with around 3000 joules of protection.

yea originally i bought my TV and didnt get insurance for it but bought a nice surge protector with warranty as it was cheaper and also surge is most likely reason for electronics to kick it before their time...

You guys need to try a SMC reset if you havent already.

Unplug from power completely.

Hold power button for 5-10 sec

Plug back in

I followed those instructions several times and had no luck. I will try again tonight when I get home because it never hurts to try again.

The computer is old and was on a surge protector, but I kept no warranty info on it, if it had one in the first place.

Since my youngster days - I have always unplugged my computers when there were storms or questionable power issues (windstorms…etc).  Just a habit I guess.  At work we have good battery back up UPS boxes on each workstation - allowing for things to be saved and shut down when the lights go out.  

-sorry about your mac!

-d

• Like 1

May not even be the storm that did it. Sometimes when electronics are ready to fail, especially on computers that are on almost all the time it will chug along nicely thorough power cycles even, but shut it off and give it time to actually cool down then poof, b0rk3d vital component that was happy and reporting fine previously.