Star war spoiler don't come here if you haven't seen it

Skkipper

Finn = Black Han Solo....yeah, sort of...they have mix matched up all the characters sort of...

Finn = Mix of Han and Luke - Wants to run away from the First Order, but really REALLY wants the girl

Rey = Mix of Luke and Leia - Which of course makes sense assuming Rey is Luke's daughter?  But that is an unknown...

Poe = Han and Leia - All the Bravado and Pilot skill of Han, with Leia's drive to win for the greater good.

As for the "Let's destroy the Imperial Mega Weapon with a Last Ditch Effort Plan" ....

Yeah, a big part of me was kinda bummed that was the big finale of this movie...it is the biggest negative I see with it.  The saving grace of the destruction of the Star Killer base is at least it wasn't some weird weakness that was easy to exploit...it really took a three front effort to crack it.  

Oh, another fault I didn't like was how easily Captain Phasma turned the shields off.  She really isn't that dedicated...

I wanted to get the ball rolling before really laying it on.

Kylo Ren aka Ben Solo is totally on the Whiney bitch path of Anakin. It will be interesting if they go into some flashbacks of what set him off to kill Luke's new Jedi.

It was pretty stunning scene when he impales his father On the end of the lightsaber. I wonder why lord scrotum is also on the throne in the holograph phone calls. Did he have some bad clams or something.

In general the movie had a bit off throw backs to the original trilogy but they were well done.

The star killer weapon just seems like a logical extension of the Death Star. Kill anything anywhere.

Question...

The movie referenced "Snoke" and the "Supreme Commander".....were / are they the same person? Or do we not know that at this point?

Also...in the original Expanded Universe (EU) wasn't there a "StarKiller" base or ship?  I wonder if this Snoke guy, or Lord Commander or whoever it is...could they be a clone of Palpatine?

Wife and I saw it last night, and we both came away pretty happy.

Finn is definitely my fave character out of the new ones. He does have a bit of 'Han Solo' to him, but I enjoyed seeing his struggle with his own fear, and it's clear he's infatuated with Rey, which I thought was very cool, as well.

Rey herself is pretty kick butt, and we liked her. I liked Poe a lot, too, but my better half thought he was trying 'too hard' to be charming. I don't think Poe had all that much screen-time, really, but I do hope he's back in the sequel.

There will be a lot of debate about Han's fate, I think. I know Ford has said many, many times he wished Solo had died in the previous trilogy. I don't know if that's the reason they went the direction they did, but I have -very- mixed feelings about it. Regardless whether I thought it was a 'good idea' or not, his fate seemed to be glossed over afterward, which also bothered me. Yeah, Leia had a brief moment where she looked sad, and Chewie had a moment where he looked sad too. That was pretty much it. I kinda expected more of a reaction to it,.

There were also some 'holes' created, which isn't uncommon in Abram's directed shows. At one point, Solo gives Finn grief because he works in sanitation and Finn explains he's just doing what he has to do to get the girl back, so then how did he know all the other details he -did- share? What did they do with Captain Phasma? If Kylo Ren 'sensed' the struggle in a stormtrooper's mind back at the first village, why did he just shrug it off and do nothing? Among other things.

The wife and I had both predicted three main things as we discussed the movie to each other the past several months. 1) Han and/or Chewie would die. 2) Luke would see very, very minimal screen-time, perhaps coming in at the very end before the credits. Of course, he -thought- he'd at least SAY something. LOL! And 3) Ren would be the son of either Leia/Han, or Luke and someone else. So we almost hit the nail on the head exactly, and we were not disappointed.

We both enjoyed the level of humor included. There are of course moments of comical relief in all the previous six movies, but this one had a bunch which we enjoyed.

The wife and I are both wondering if Rey is Luke's daughter, and we'll get the 'I am your father' speech in episode eight. She heard Luke's lightsaber calling for her. She was dropped off on the planet to 'hide' her. Sure, maybe she's just some random force-sensitive kid, too. Next episode should be really interesting. :)

Anyway, we both enjoyed it enough that we're going to see it again tomorrow. The first time was quite the emotional feeling for both of us (both big Star Wars fans, even of the prequels). So the second time maybe we'll 'see' stuff we missed the first time. :)

-Tim

I haven't seen it, but in all the lead up, they've been referring to him as Supreme Commander Snoke.

My loose theory is that Snoke is Palpatine. His messed up face perhaps caused by the force lighting backlash and fall. Not sure how they'd explain his survival, but I am not sure there is a better explanation for a powerful darkside master that turned Ren against his family.

Overall I felt despite a pile of plot holes and unanswered questions the film was pretty solid. I was really hoping they didnt blow the whole planet... but they did...

Ando, that bit with Captain Phasma bugged me the most, too. She has about 5 lines in the movie, and two of them are about the discipline of her troops and their training. Then she buckles at the first wookie who smacks her upside the head? AND to a traitor from her own unit? Although, if you notice General Hux turning into a whiny little bitch when Starkiller starts exploding, looks like the First Order is overall lacking spine.

FYI, Starkiller is the original name of Anakin (instead of Skywalker) from George's first draft in the 70s.

I am very intrigued to find out who Max Von Sydow's character was and what he was atoning for. Has a bit of the Yoda vibe that he was around when [big bad swear word] got bad with the dark side and he failed to stop it.

To me, Rey was Jania Solo, Ren was Jacen Solo from the universe they turned into "LEGENDS"

What I want to see, is what happened when Kylo confronts Luke after killing all his padawans (the scene you see when she touches the lightsabre)

It was cool though that Han forgave his son even as he did the deed, wiping the tear from his sons face. He saw the struggle and with his last act showed that even with his own murder he still loved him.

The most important part to me was the "redemption" of Han Solo.  Shipping deadly animals who'd eaten his crew.  Screwing his backers.  "When was the second time?"  This is the guy who shot first, thank gawd.

When it comes to the fate of the universe he'll step up and be a hero (or to saving the girl) but he's a scoundrel.

That and just the flavor of the writing.  In spite of all the commercials, there was not a 5 minute scene with them driving Fiats or wearing Covergirl makeup.  Nothing here felt like a commercial.

Ben Solo, didn't like the casting for him, he totally has the "I'll be redeemed in the end" vibe going on. Also a pure shame as to that silver stormtrooper commander, whatever her name is. Totally cool visually, but didn't do a darn thing. Also no real explanation of why there is a resistance within the republic to go against the new order. Why isn't the republic against the new order? Lots of missing info for all of the stuff they threw out there.

All that said, I thought it was a great movie. I'm just stuck now with being an over-critical ass when it comes to all things Star Wars thanks to the prequels and the jar jar hate.

• Like 2