Star war spoiler don't come here if you haven't seen it

Skkipper

Watching it.  Unfortunately, no audio.  The guy at the beginning reminds me of Corran Horn.  Alas, we will never know ye, Jedi Horn.  Ren force gripping the Bolt is pretty rad.

TIE vs Falcon chase scene, I have a hard time believing the ships would handle that way in atmosphere. Ha!  Ren just had a temper tantrum.  Sweet Force Choke, too.

Ben Solo, didn't like the casting for him, he totally has the "I'll be redeemed in the end" vibe going on. Also a pure shame as to that silver stormtrooper commander, whatever her name is. Totally cool visually, but didn't do a darn thing. Also no real explanation of why there is a resistance within the republic to go against the new order. Why isn't the republic against the new order? Lots of missing info for all of the stuff they threw out there.

All that said, I thought it was a great movie. I'm just stuck now with being an over-critical ass when it comes to all things Star Wars thanks to the prequels and the jar jar hate.

I pretty much agree on all points. Especially the over-critical bit.

I am not too bothered by the lack of answers as I think we'll get some in the future, but having a bit more of the last 40 years referenced would have been nice.

There are Spoilers below.

1. Wow. That was a fun movie. I really like the first act. Rey and Finn were developed as actual characters. There was a bit of Wall-E to the Rey character. She seemed part Luke, part Leia. I like the compassion and choice made by Finn. Despite his training and brain washing, he is not a killer. 

2. I had no clue Max Von Sydow was still alive.

3. The sets felt real: dirty, dusty, and cold. 

4. Poe was a great secret. I found him engaging and wanting to know more.

5. The theater cheered at the sight of the falcon.

6. The movie was had humor. As my youngest said. "It was funny, but not cheesy or filled with slapstick." The line about taking the quadrunner over the piece of garbage is a great example.

7. The movie did felt it echoed the original, but I am not complaining. 

8. The battle scenes were tense, but they could have used a bit more Steven Spielberg, Saving Private Ryan Shaky Cam for the First Trooper landing. 

9. My pre-movie guess was correct. Kylo Ren was a solo. Man, he is whiny.

10. I did not like the animation for the Supreme Leader. It was so Lord of the Rings.

11. Carrie Fisher has had too much plastic surgery. 

12.  I wished Luke would have turned to Rey and said, "Hello," like he knew she was coming.

13. My wife is still upset Han is dead. She blames Leia and said Han always knew idealists who get him killed.

14 . I cannot wait to see it again. 

PS. I want the Wookie's gun.

• Like 4

For starters, I liked the movie. I thought they did the best they could have done since the purchasing of the franchise by disney. I would have loved to see a more "epic" movie but going back to basics and a lowered "power level" was a really smart choice by disney.

That said, I really thought they did a bad job with Finn's character. The actor did a good job, but the film didn't support his role very well.

-Poe, the rebel pilot is the sniper that kills Finn's buddy, which causes him to suddenly question and desert his friends in the First Order.

-Finn is the only "chocolate skinned" person in the entire film. Having 6 minor characters with limited lines would have solve this easily, but the film is almost entirely white brunnettes. Our only "ginger" is a villain too.

-Finn's character rapidly changes from a solider, to a deserter, and then a enemy without much pushing. I thought the ease at which he was able to slay his former allies was disturbing.

-Finn chooses to rescue Poe, despite Poe being the one that slew his friend.

Overall, I thought Finn needed a longer backstory. I hope they address this in future films. Him, more than any other character, seemed to need more background to make his actions seem justified for the film. Again, I had no issues with the actor's acting, but with the films lack of support for the character.

I did cry a bit at the end. It was a very sad ending, though I got the feeling that many in the audience didn't notice the sadness of the end. I suspect future films will make it more clear.

13. My wife is still upset Han is dead. She blames Leia and said Han always knew idealists who get him killed.

They had to do that. That actor is not long for the world of acting, if you cannot tell. He's 73 and he's got multiple injuries (he went the doctor in 2015 for a broken pelvis and broken ankle after surviving a plane crash). I suspect he will stop acting in the near future. I don't know if he'll die, but I suspect he'll be in less physically active roles in the future.

I'd much rather they kill han solo now, instead of getting another actor to play him in future films.

Overall, I was entertained, never bored, and I didn't want it to end. However, I felt the tone was too lite for my liking. It lacked some substance, some tooth or grit...I left wanting more, but not in the good way.

I disliked that the First Order was a clone of the Empire. How about some new visuals? Iconography? I agree about resources, where did they get them? At least he's Kylo Ren and not Darth Ren.

I think Fin/Finn has some Jedi in him. How else do you explain his ability to shake off his training and be somewhat effective initially against wounded Ren?

Jollyork made a good joke about the worst CGI was Fisher's face :)

I thought it was odd that Leia didn't accompany Rey to see Luke.

Tired of Deathstars...yawn

Hated the Ben Solo casting, loved the Kylo Ren character.

Saw it with my kids (aged 8, 10, and 12). Watching movies with kids makes it easy to turn that critical part of your brain off and enjoy the ride. I'm not certain when I laughed, gasped, choked-up, and cheered so much during a movie. Loved it. I definitely want to watch it again where I can be less emotional, but I'm really happy that my kids finally got to see a real Star Wars movie in the theatre.

The main 4 characters are all great additions to the Star Wars universe, but Rey really stole the show. She was the best parts of Luke and Han rolled up into one strong, competent woman. Hell, there was even some great acting in this one! Loved to see Rey working on uncovering the force.

• Like 4

Saw it with my kids (aged 8, 10, and 12). Watching movies with kids makes it easy to turn that critical part of your brain off and enjoy the ride. I'm not certain when I laughed, gasped, choked-up, and cheered so much during a movie. Loved it. I definitely want to watch it again where I can be less emotional, but I'm really happy that my kids finally got to see a real Star Wars movie in the theatre.

The main 4 characters are all great additions to the Star Wars universe, but Ren really stole the show. She was the best parts of Luke and Han rolled up into one strong, competent woman. Hell, there was even some great acting in this one! Loved to see Ren working on uncovering the force.

I think you mean Rey...not Ren....Kylo Ren = Ben Solo, Rey is the girl from Jukka

• Like 1

Wild ride. Starkiller would have been more impressive if it'd lasted beyond the first movie. How about fail the attack and try again episode 9? Really liked the new cast especially Rey. Really like Ren too. I just about died laughing after he found Rey escaped and had another tantrum and the two storm troopers decided to turn around and walk away. Can't wait for more!

Wild ride. Starkiller would have been more impressive if it'd lasted beyond the first movie. How about fail the attack and try again episode 9? Really liked the new cast especially Rey. Really like Ren too. I just about died laughing after he found Rey escaped and had another tantrum and the two storm troopers decided to turn around and walk away. Can't wait for more!

At the rate that Starkiller base was able to take out star systems, I don't think there would be any planets left by episode 9!

I loved the movie.  I especially liked Daisy Ridley's portrayal of Rey, and Adam Driver's portrayal of Kylo Ren.  I think Driver is an exceptional actor, and I think he pulled off the pent up rage of a young apprentice Sith perfectly.  And the scene with Han was wonderful. Sad, but wonderfully written and executed.

• Like 1

I like the varied opinions - because I don't agree with everyone else's opinions on everything.  Typically I read the bad reviews first on games, apps, TV and movies … to see if any strike a cord.  I will still read good reviews - but honestly they don't carry as much weight for me.

having not seen the movie yet… not sure when I will … I enjoy honest opinions about it.  I'd like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread for their honest insights :)

-d

Best movie I have seen in a theater as an adult hands down (Jurassic Park wins for best as a kid, but for different reasons).

Was it perfect? No, nothing is perfect. The argument that it borrows too many plot devices from the OT is entirely valid, but it is also totally irrelevant to me in the face of the fantastic characters, gripping action, and gut-wrenching drama. In particular, the entire sequence from Han stepping out after Kylo to the end of the forest scene had me trembling in my seat and totally wrapped up in the film in a way I've never really experienced before.

All of the characters were fantastic with the standouts for me being Rey, Finn, and Kylo. With Rey, it was super refreshing to have a strong, competent female lead in a Star Wars movie and she pulled off the role perfectly. I loved her interactions with Finn when they first met and thought her performance opposite Adam Driver's Kylo was top-notch. Finn really had amazing interactions with everyone in the film from Poe to BB-8 (best thumbs up ever) and was just all-around an incredibly likable hero that felt really genuine as a person. I loved Han calling him "big deal." Kylo Ren's persona of wanting to be a big tough guy like the legendary Vader, but really just being a messed up kid with rage issues was great. All of the scenes where he raged out were wonderful character building moments and everything led up to his great scene with Han on the bridge and his super characterful duels with Finn and Rey.

Really just the fact that all of these characters actually had character instead of just being cardboard cutouts like in the prequels was huge for me. The film definitely left me with more questions than answers about nearly all of the plot elements, but all that's done is made me more excited for the next one and hungry to gobble up all of the new-canon EU that they can pump out between now and then.

I'm super happy that the majority of the response has been so positive from others as well. Really the only complaints I've seen so far are either minor quibbles, that it borrows too much from the OT (which again, didn't bother me, but I see their point), or are just from MRAs with no ground to stand on crying about Rey being the lead (which is whatever because their opinions don't matter!) 5/5 Stars from me all the way.

• Like 3

This is an interesting rundown of many unanswered questions. Lots of speculation of course, but helpful.

I have seen a few of these things... mostly silly questions and obvious "left it for the next movie" (or just leaving it for fans to speculate and build hype)

I keep noticing bits of expanded universe in many bits of speculation... I think some people are having trouble separating the two

BB8 was cool.  No complaints there.  Though the rolling down the stairs scene did make me wonder how he was doing that.

Rei was yet another example of why feminism is the worst thing that ever happened to action/adventure films.  Totally one dimensional Mary Sue of Perfection, no discernible flaws, encompassing the best traits of Han Solo and Luke Skywalker with none of either character's flaws.  Hated her, have zero interest in her story.  This is not a real character, this is sop to whiny internet feminists in the vain hope they won't accuse the film of sexism.  

Also, what the hell was up with the super meaningful hug between Rei and Leia at the end?  THEY HAD NEVER MET BEFORE THAT MOMENT.  It was just like...Rei is the hero, so OF COURSE Leia knows who she is instantly.  You're a [big bad swear word] writer JJ!  None of your characters ever EARN these victories.

Can't say the same for the main villain though.  First of all, his name is Snoke.  What kind of halfass lame villain name is that?  How am I supposed to take that seriously?  And seriously, [big bad swear word] whoever it is in Hollywood who thinks CGI villains are anything but ridiculously lame.  So bloody stupid.

BB-8: Well, if you understand the physics behind how BB-8 works (remember, that is a working droid prop) it is simple to change the counter weight to "lean" against the higher step allowing him to move down stairs. As for up the stairs... grappling hooks... we saw him use them.

Rey: I see some validity to the Mary-Sue comments but the thing is that Finn and Poe are also Mary-Sue's... as are JJ's Star Trek crew... I agree it is crap writing, and a lot of it could be fixed by omitting or altering dialog like "He's the Best pilot EVAR!!!!" It has nothing to do with feminism and the fact that you point the finger there is sad.

As to the hug... maybe Leia knows or suspects something that you do not? Also maybe it was just a "Some one you loved just died and you needed a hug" type thing? I suspect either works.

Snoke would be the worst name ever.... if it weren't for Jar Jar Binks, Sy Snoodles and Boba Fett (and more) Seriously, what is with dumb names and Star Wars?

And remember, at least it wasn't Episode 1...

• Like 1