Star war spoiler don't come here if you haven't seen it

Skkipper

This ship made the Kessel run in 12 parsecs.

I've always been under the impression that feat of 12 parsecs was related to light speed being traveled in straight lines, with potential collision risk. So each jump has a distance before a ship needed to stop and turn so as not to collide with things (like stars, planets, or other ships). So with parsecs being a measure of distance, the race would be one where the ship with the most direct route, and therefore shortest distance, would be the winner.

I've always been under the impression that feat of 12 parsecs was related to light speed being traveled in straight lines, with potential collision risk. So each jump has a distance before a ship needed to stop and turn so as not to collide with things (like stars, planets, or other ships). So with parsecs being a measure of distance, the race would be one where the ship with the most direct route, and therefore shortest distance, would be the winner.

Actually it was just stuff they made up in filming... really trying to reason it out is ridiculous.

...also proving Mekhet's point.

Honestly I'd like movies physics to make some sense, but I don't tend to hang my enjoyment on the details of it.

Actually it was just stuff they made up in filming... really trying to reason it out is ridiculous.

...also proving Mekhet's point.

Honestly I'd like movies physics to make some sense, but I don't tend to hang my enjoyment on the details of it.

Honestly, this one always made sense to me. That Dune "folding space" bit, on the other hand....

Showing my super nerd card here: The Kessel Run in the Star Wars universe is a spice smuggler's route through a treacherous network of black holes and Star systems that pose a risk to ships traveling through hyperspace. Less than 12 parsecs refers to the distance of the route that Han and Chewie took through this network, breaking a long held record.

• Like 2

Showing my super nerd card here: The Kessel Run in the Star Wars universe is a spice smuggler's route through a treacherous network of black holes and Star systems that pose a risk to ships traveling through hyperspace. Less than 12 parsecs refers to the distance of the route that Han and Chewie took through this network, breaking a long held record.

Question is whether that was what it was initially meant to refer to, or whether thats what a writer used to plaster over the initial error :P

• Like 1

Hey! Take your expanded universe garbage and go home!!!! :tongue:

• Like 1

So I liked the plot of the movie, but disliked the movie.

The basis being that they just re-did the death star movie, Luke's lightsaber fell into bespin (I mean it's a stretch), the fact that Ben (who killed all of the New Order) lost to an untrained girl.

On a side note the map at the end made me annoyed with there being a missing piece like a puzzle.

So I just finished reading the novelization and it sure did clear up a lot of little plot holes that didn't quite make sense in the theater!

Why did R2-D2 activate at the end? Turns out Ren mentioned to Rey in Starkiller Base that the rest of the map was in the recovered Imperial databanks and when Rey mentioned this at the debrief, Artoo overheard, came out, explained to C-3P0 that he had those files, and then showed everyone the map.

Why could Finn & Co see the explosion the if the Republic systems from where they were? Turns out how the weapon works is it actually rips through hyperspace and fills the planet's core with the "dark energy" that they harvest from a star to fuel the weapon and this doesn't just blow up the planet, but actually makes its core expand and become a new star (in a really bright display apparently).

Chewie didn't rip anyone's arm off in the movie? Turns out there's a scene in Maz's place where the junk dealer from Jakku shows up, says he's been tracking the Falcon and is taking it back from Rey, and then promptly loses his arm to Chewie. I heard this scene actually got filmed and deleted so expect it on the Blu-ray!

Was Rey actually someone important and not just a junk scavenger who happens to have the force? Yep, turns out Kylo's line from when he finds out BB-8 was taken by Finn and "a girl" gets paid off later down the line in the lightsaber battle in the forest when, after she force grabs the saber, he murmers "it is you."

Also just lots of nice little background stuff like the name of all of the planets and towns they were in, names of lots of background characters, and a few little vignettes that didn't get screen time like Poe getting off of Jakku, scenes of Leia before her first appearance, and an extended scene with Snoke telling Ren he "watched the Empire rise and fall" along with Leia telling Han at one point that she knew while Ben was in training that Snoke was watching him. Good stuff and worth a read!

• Like 1

On a side note the map at the end made me annoyed with there being a missing piece like a puzzle.

That was kinda silly.

"We cant figure out where this bit of galaxy is!" - okay, big galaxy, many uncharted/unknown systems... I get it!

"Hey, plug it into this other map! Oh there it is!" ... um... did you not try plugging that into a galactic map before?

• Like 1

I was just annoyed they threw in another "death star" and blew it up again

Like come on you have this cool new plot, New character....let's use another death star.

The first three movies set up the research and development of the Technology.  The second three show production and refinement of the Technology.  Third set shows the evolution and improvement?  No Death Planet in Episode 8.  Perhaps the Eclipse-class in 9?  Co-axial Superlaser, if you didn't know.

Fiypavp.png

I love the original trilogy, including Jedi, and I'd probably put Force Awakens at a solid #3 spot. So for reference:

#1 Empire

#2 New Hope

#3 Force Awakens

#4 Jedi

[insert huge gap in quality]

#5 Sith

#6 Clones

#7 Phantom Menace

I agree completely other than I'd flip Clones and Phantom Menace.

Just watched it and loved it.

I love the original trilogy, including Jedi, and I'd probably put Force Awakens at a solid #3 spot. So for reference:

#1 Empire

#2 New Hope

#3 Force Awakens

#4 Jedi

[insert huge gap in quality]

#5 Sith

#6 Clones

#7 Phantom Menace

Mine is almost identical. For me, FA is #2, New Hope #3. But the rest is exactly the same.

Despite how the wife and I sat together trying to nitpick FA, one this is for certain: the SW movie franchise has incredible legs, especially if the quality of the product remains this high - or higher. I remember when Lucas sold the rights to Disney for $4B, and some news outlets were saying Disney got ripped off... and immediately I thought, 'No freakin' way'. I always thought that if the SW IP was given to a production house that was big enough/savvy enough to know what to do with it, that there were literally -billions- of untapped dollars awaiting. I just think some 'industry' people simply do not have an accurate view of the SW property, or how big it really is. Personally, I think Disney got a -steal-, and in time, it will come to be known as one of the biggest blockbuster deals in movie history.

Of course, for $4B, I don't think George got ripped off, either. At least, not presently.

It would have taken George many years of hard work to earn that $4B without selling the company. I honestly don't think he'd have been able to leverage the property into the cash cow Disney has made it. This way George gets to retire on a pile of hard earned cash and we can all about good new star wars content for years to come.

• Like 1