Painting Options - A or B?

McNathanson

I'm undecided which approach is better to highlighting the sleeves on my Francisco model, so I thought I'd see if anyone has a strong opinion one way or the other!

The first approach is to highlight just the top and fade down to darker color.  The second option is to highlight the same way but then call out the bottom edge of the section also.  Here's what I mean:

Option 1 (see Francisco's right shoulder):

WIP Francisco Ortega - Right Shoulder option 1

Option 2 (left shoulder):

WIP Francisco Ortega - Left Shoulder option 2

To be fair I think Option 2 was executed a little worse in this case, and looks a little messier.  It also may look a little less realistic (aka correctly lit), but I think it calls out the features of the model more clearly... eh, I'm torn!!

Thoughts?
Nathan

Of the two, I like option 1 better. Though I'm not sure they'd both look good like that. Makes him sort of shrouded in darkness. not sure if you want that look for that model.

I don't really think option 2 fits the rest of the paint scheme.

I should have clarified: only the belt line and up is painted, the lower half is just primer/basecoat/washed.

Thanks for the input though, I think after leaving it and coming back, and reading your comments, I'm leaning toward #1 as well.

I'll finish out the model in that pattern and come back with another pic.

I also like my brother's reasons, which were that the #1 approach emphasizes his face and shirt more, which I agree is the high-point of the model (along with, I hope, his sword pommel once I've painted it).

• Like 1