GW Moving into Hobby/Toy stores?

pretre

ome see the new GW line of products rolling into toy and modelshops this fall!

GWbuildnplay-horz.jpeg

images via Tiny Plastic Spacemen and Spikeybits Hobbies (Facebook) 1-27-2016

GWbuildnplay2.jpgGWbuildnplay0.jpg

Facebook user Chris Smith got these images at the Nuremberg toy fair.  These pictures show a new line of Games Workshop “Build & Paint” kits that look to be aimed specifically at toy and model shops.

GWbuildnplay1.jpg GWbuildnplay3.jpg GWbuildnplay4.jpg

Note the following:

• Colored plastic, removing the base coating step for some of the kits.
  • Very small simple GW kits with few parts.
  • Paints, glue and brushes included.
  • Good pricepoint for all the hobby gear included.
  • November 2016 Targeted release.
  • Like 2

What is the play here? I don't understand why they think this will sell them more models. I don't know anyone who inhabits toy or hobby stores that looks for styled models that don't search for them and can get them online?

GW has lost their collective business minds.

12 year olds.
  • Like 1

What is the play here? I don't understand why they think this will sell them more models. I don't know anyone who inhabits toy or hobby stores that looks for styled models that don't search for them and can get them online?

GW has lost their collective business minds.

I think GW's already reached the limit on what they can sell to gamers at gaming stores. Other games are coming out with competing games and GW's main strong point has always been their model kits. They're losing ground at gaming stores because their rules suck and that allows games like Warmahordes and malifaux to squeeze in as competitions, despite vastly inferior model kits. Yeah, GW still dominates the tabletop, but I think the portion of the market they occupy is less than it was (they used to have the only tabletop games).

Since GW's proclaimed goal is model kits, selling model kits without a game attached seems like a really smart move. Getting people into 40k can be tough, but I think selling a single 40k model would be pretty easy, so long as the game obligations were removed.

Besides, I'd love it if I could buy GW models at target, fred meyer, or jo-ans. So much easier for relatives buying me gifts, too.

I guess it's gonna be me who says that GW shouldn't market the universe of endless war, blood gods, and drugged up torture elves to 8 year olds.

Not to worry.  GW is not about to lower prices to the point that an 8 year old can afford them and I don't think they're creative enough to having Tony the Ultramarine running around yelling "Guns! They're GREAAAAT!" just to get kids to hit up parents.

I guess it's gonna be me who says that GW shouldn't market the universe of endless war, blood gods, and drugged up torture elves to 8 year olds.

That is exactly why I started with Lord of the Rings instead of Warhammer......my parents took one look at the rule book with the "There is only war... there can be no peace" speel and gave it a flat no. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. The fact that they chose a black boy and a girl instead of two white boys is a huge shift for GW.

Change is a sign that the company finally realizes the need for change.

Honestly, I think GW's in the process of falling. They just haven't moved with the times when it was the right time to do so, and now seem to be doing so out of desperation. 

They were on the right track when the Dawn of War PC game came out, but they seem to have gotten lost since then.

That said, I do somewhat suspect GW is secretly brilliant and this is some elaborate plan to jump back on top. They certainly do a good job staying profitable while screwing their fans, and then somehow maintaining a solid fan-base despite seemingly irresponsible behavior.

Aiming to hook consumers at a younger age, where they are still figuring out what they like, could be a good move for the company in general.

Years later when the kids in high school/college and has a few buck to scrape together they might re-enter a hobby they might not have known about otherwise.

And I'm convinced it'll be uncles/grandparents who are looking for a gift for a relative that will walk through the hobby shop and go 'hmm, that looks cool. 40$? No prob for a one off gift.'

And BAM! Another plastic addict is created :)

• Like 1

via ICv2
http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/33750/games-workshop-offers-battle-vedros

The Battle for Vedros Full Starter Set has push fit (or click fit) models, and in each there’s a Dreadnought and a DeffKopta, and everything you need to play the game.  “There’s no glue needed; there’s no sharp points; it’s made for kids eight and upwards,” Smithurst said.

The full contents of the Battle for Vedros display are:

4 Battle for Vedros Starter Set ($49.99)
4 Battle for Vedros Paint Set (water based, $29.99)
3 Battle for Vedros Space Marine Attack Bike ($26.99)
3 Battle for Fedros Ork Wartrakk ($26.99)
3 Battle for Vedros Space Marines ($9.99)
3 Battle for Vedros Ork Boyz ($9.99)
3 Battle for Vedros Ork Gretchin ($15.99)
3 Battle for Vedros Space Marine Bike ($14.99)
Games Workshop will use sales reps to sell the display into stores in which it has not previously had a presence.  The display will sell for US$350 net, including freight, a clean 45% off retail. 

Last but least: The Battle for Vedross is coming soon, this summer in fact. 
https://mobile.twitter.com/BattleforVedros/status/698194750340517888