Starting Tau a beginners guide

splinx

I wish i could learn how to embed them into pages on here! LOL Thanks Dan! 

Photobucket or Imgur are great places to upload your images to.  Then you right click on an image, choose copy image address (or whatever it says in your browser to that effect).  Go back to ordo, click on the icon that looks like a polaroid underneath the text color change drop down and the emojis.  Paste.  

DONE.

• Like 1

EXAMPLES!

Here is photobucket used to show the different ways i would respond to this guys 9 Riptide list, using my Dark eldar, given different deployments:

His deployment option 1 and my response:

1st%20turn%20flat%20outs.png

His deployment option 2 and my response:

Alternative%20Deployment%20turn%201.png

His deployment option 3 and my response:

Alternative%203.png

I love photobucket!

Do tau have warp travel yet? Or are they just coming very slowly? ;p

The Tau Empire is absorbing human fleets to use in their inevitable 4th sphre Expansions.  the Captains we have met with have been highly cooperative and open to suggestion.  It's like, as soon as they sit down with an Aun and really have things explained to them, they are all too happy to leave behind the shackles of the grimdark.  

Do tau have warp travel yet? Or are they just coming very slowly? ;p

IIRC, the Tau do have Warp Travel, but without Navigators able to use the Astronomicon or something similar, they're limited to relatively short jumps of a couple of light years at a time, or they risk being catastrophically thrown off course.

It really is amazing how photography can pull out some of those spots that you didn't get quite right, but looked fine in person.

For sure! I also picked up some other stuff that needed tidying up! I have found my painting doesn't like doing 20 guys at a time and my patience wains towards the end. These guys are acceptable but no way near my top standards. They are fine for rank and file guys but i have got 20 Breachers now to do so back at the block painting! LOL I may break it up and do some work on my broadsides instead to break up the monotony a bit! LOL 

• Like 1

It hasn't stopped me from playing, thats for damn sure.  I play a lot.  Love it.  Especially love my Tau Empire toys.  

As an aside, Splinx, have you worked out a list?  I don't know if you have updated that recently but you're painting now so i assume you have settled on something?

LOL i have submitted a slightly altered list from the one i posted. I changed over my commander to have drone controller and gave the crisis suits 7 marker drones and also swapped the missile pod around from the breachers to the strike teams. Apart from that it stayed the same. Didn't wanna go OTT with riptide wings etc so will just have some fun with some shooting dudes! :) It may change slightly if needed but i am painting like a crazy man at the moment so once everything is painted i can tinker a bit. I took a break last night and painted a IF Terminator Chaplain for a break on the white! LOL. 

White is hard.  Truly.  Well that's exciting.  I am glad to hear it's going well.  

I also didn't want to bring "the pain" too much.  I went with my Swissters of Battle.  Basically IG Veterans with Power Armor, and female.  =)

If i go to the one day event, i will probably bring the Tau Empire to that.  It's my favorite faction, and I do well with them.  That means bringing two armies down there, but i will be staying with a friend so I'll just dump stuff off there and take one at a time so i dont have to worry about thieves in the parking lots.

• 2 weeks later...

So i managed to get a game in on the weekend with a buddy and it was a true non competitive dice rolling event allowing me to see how certain troops do in different situations. He took a dark angels demi company coming in and just shy of 1000pts. I took my commander with bodyguard suits from my OFCC list along with the Optimized Stealth Cadre. 

Questions i have for you more learned folks is: 

Set up of the OSC? Do you normally infiltrate the stealth teams and the run the Ghostkeel up to them? As the ghost keep doesn't have infiltrate i decided to deep strike the whole formation in (1 Unit at a time) and it was decent when it got on the board but I'm unsure of deployment? 

The buffmander alongside his bodyguards did extremely well. (I made a lot of 3+ saves) and i ended up only losing half the bodyguards whilst protecting them well by moving out of cover for shooting and the jumping back into cover to give them some sort of cover save. 

Even without marker lights they did really well and we called it after 5 turns. The double plasma and double fusions were great for transports, IC's and anything not space marine. I will certainly be using these for jumping around and take hunting. (Do people deep strike in this type of set up?) 

Overall pretty happy with the way the two parts worked and will be trying on other parts of the list over the next months on the run up to OFCC. :) 

In the games i've played with the OSC thus far, I usually deploy it normally and run up the middle. WIthout reserve manipulation I wouldn't feel very comfortable deep strike the Ghostkeels! The stealth suits typically end up playing for objectives rather then sticking around the Ghostkeels.