Starting Tau a beginners guide

splinx

It was just the light thankfully! I managed to get decals put on him last night as well so a couple of coats of micro sol and i'll post some more pictures of him. Im thinking of adding another couple of support systems to his arms just to make him feel more buffed?

I really like the paint scheme, white, red and black just works great in general.

Not to hijack the thread, but since it seems to be pretty much about Tau in general, anyone played a Tau army vs a 30k one and how did it balance out? I've got a game soon vs someone running sons of Horus who specifically asked to face some Tau. I don't want to steam roll the guy with my normal list, so I'm looking to mix in some fun middling units.

Anyone have any interesting ideas? I'm thinking a stealthy ninja tau force might be fun, ghostkeel wing, kroot, shadowsun, lots of stealth suits, maybe even darkstrider. I don't want it to be a [big bad swear word] list, but unusual and fun, whilst middling would be perfect.

• Like 1

So over the weekend i managed to get a game in with Mr Bacon himself EvilBryan! :) It was an intriguing match up against drop pod blood angels of which i thought would wreck my face. It all hinged on a dodgy reserve roll on his part which allowed me to close out for the win. 

Thinking points were: 

Ar12 and above are a pain to get rid of as a lot of stuff we have are only S6 and S7. This doesn't worry me for OFCC but going forward something a bit more beefy with S9 or 10 would be great. 

Drop podded heavy Flamers can reduce whole squads of fire warriors to nothing in the flash of an eye. 

Grab weapons against crisis suits and my commander are also pretty brutal. Are there are ways of combatting squads of 5 grav guns? 

All in all my breachers worked great in the devilfishes popping out and hammering squads from close range for the S6 AP3'S! 

Really enjoyed it and I hope the army list i am bringing to OFCC is enjoyable to play against as well. 

• Like 2

So over the weekend i managed to get a game in with Mr Bacon himself EvilBryan! :) It was an intriguing match up against drop pod blood angels of which i thought would wreck my face. It all hinged on a dodgy reserve roll on his part which allowed me to close out for the win. 

Thinking points were: 

Ar12 and above are a pain to get rid of as a lot of stuff we have are only S6 and S7. This doesn't worry me for OFCC but going forward something a bit more beefy with S9 or 10 would be great. 

Drop podded heavy Flamers can reduce whole squads of fire warriors to nothing in the flash of an eye. 

Grab weapons against crisis suits and my commander are also pretty brutal. Are there are ways of combatting squads of 5 grav guns? 

All in all my breachers worked great in the devilfishes popping out and hammering squads from close range for the S6 AP3'S! 

Really enjoyed it and I hope the army list i am bringing to OFCC is enjoyable to play against as well. 

As for AV 12, EMP grenades have been my freind for a long time in dealing with armor.  its unconventional but inexpensive and can be plentiful.  if they move forward with the weird grenade FAQ (and lord hopes they don't, because the a huge chunk of the players were quite surprised by it) then it will fall to the Fusion Blasters and Fusion Bolliders, Heavy Rail Rifles/Guns and so on to do the work.  there's no shortage in Tauville.

As for the dropping flamers, while you can't entirely mitigate that, here is a pro tip on that:  deploy in as big a circle as you can when you know its coming.  This limits the number of hits the flamers and blasts can actually get.

Grav Weapons are what they are:  ridiculously better than Plasma most of the time.  There is no answer other than cover.  A better answer is to remember the pain they caused and single mindedly kill them first.  =)  Also they dont have the worlds greatest range and as soon as they take one step with those Grav Guns, it cuts their range in half.  so they aren't without their flaws and running from them is a totally legit thing to do if the distances are great enough.  Just premeasure and get 25" away if possible and then they cant shoot you even if they move.  Its not a perfect solution but neither is standing and dying to it.  So....

Breachers are very cool.  I also likethem as bodyguards for the StormSurge.  Drop podding in when there's two units of Breachers there is a choice....  but generally they are going to focyus on the Surge if they drop in on it at all and knowing they will lose at least two squads and possibly their pods as well to EMP?  It does give one pause when considering a drop on a Surge.

Sounds like you had a good time.  

Yeah to be fair my EMP Breachers did some serious work clearing out Tac marines. very impressed with them and i also hope they don't nerf the grenade rule so it stays the same. Otherwise i will probably end up getting another squad of broadsides with the rail rifles to help. Very chilled out game and looking forward tog getting a few more in before the ofcc. :)

EMP for the win.  I took out a White Scars Battle Company using a fairly heavily seeded Fire Warrior force.  That was the most recent tournament i won, where I was allowed to use the Gunfort (Gunforts are very cool by the way).

I had 30 Fire Warriors, the White scars jumped up the board and got froggy, so i ran out like a hoard of screaming monkeys and slapped their vehicles silly and used the actual vehicle wreckage for cover.  The others in my force dropped firepower on the dudes that got forced out and then just to cap off a perfect day, my Fire warriors charged and killed some Marines!  That was such a fun game.  Fire Warriors just whalloping the Battle Company.  My Storm Surge ran around the board taking objectives and popping Rhinos but mainly objective stealing which was also kind of humorous.  he even got in a fight with a lone marine and lost.  Lol.  Oh Stormsurge:  so much melee fail, all in one model.  I know the FLG guy likes his Stormsurges to go stomping across the countryside, but that just encapsulated everything that is Tau, right there.  Or maybe it encapsulated everything that is marines?  Could have been both.

For OFCC, it's really probably not a huge issue. The TOs have said they're unlikely to let through Grav Spam, and the Matchup System should help protect you further if necessary.

Actually, I forgot something. Tau in particular have another option against most of the nastiest Grav tactics, since they generally rely on Drop Pods. Interceptor on a few powerful Units can really do a number on many of those, before they even get a chance to get up any Psychic Defenses or such that they may have.

• Like 1