Starting Tau a beginners guide

splinx

Had a Blood Angel player effectively lose round one because he didnt know I could do that.  Driop pods landed, and then...two drop pods and their uber units (effectively) died.  couldnt have landed any more perfectly.  Alternatively, i lost in turn one because of a Skyhammer Annihilation group in my very last tournament so i dont feel one bit bad about nuking them when i get the chance.  it's them or me!

So against the heinous Alpha strikes of today, you just have to come proper with the tools to handle it.  Skyhammer Annihilation might not even be allowed at OFCC for all I know, but it's definitely a thing in normal games.

Broadsides are good with the EWO, too. Sometimes better if it's a small Unit and they're able to spread out to max Coherency, just because they'll be able to force so many Saves. Where it really gets ludicrous is with the Drone Net, so you've got a ton of Interceptor Markerlights as well, but I get the feeling that's a bit past the power level you're planning on playing at.

• Like 1

yeah...the Drone net is kind of spendy but its definitely not to be taken lightly.  I have not deployed one to date just cause Im having so much fun with my current list.  having said that, if I was looking to recreate a new list, i would be all over that Drone net.  i have about a billion Drones and they sure could use the exercize.

Yeah on the aggressive and competitive side both suggestions sound great. Friendly fun lists like my OFCC one will probably stay the same. :) And Yes my Broadsides are already with EWO for some sort of anti flyer capability should i get need some. 

As a drop pod player I say avoid the pie plate solution. You can not place a template in such a way that it covers your own models to start. I have really surprised tau players by huddling up right on their own units (grants cover as well!) to avoid the pie plate go boom, get three inches off the pod at one inch from the enemy and thumb your nose at the pie plate! I'd take a unit of each style just in case.

Ar12 and above are a pain to get rid of as a lot of stuff we have are only S6 and S7. This doesn't worry me for OFCC but going forward something a bit more beefy with S9 or 10 would be great. 

Drop podded heavy Flamers can reduce whole squads of fire warriors to nothing in the flash of an eye. 

Grab weapons against crisis suits and my commander are also pretty brutal. Are there are ways of combatting squads of 5 grav guns? 

Melta is pretty easily available to Tau for tank-busting if you need it, but really Missile Pods (and High-Yield Missile Pods) will usually do the trick due to number of shots- getting a reroll from Tank Hunter or a Dawn Blade Cadre helps a lot, though.

Heavy Flamers ruin Tau infantry, it's true. But really Tau infantry just aren't that tough to start with; even Boltguns can do a lot of work on them thanks to the weak Toughness value. Don't get in stand-up firefights with things and don't let people get the drop on you.

Grav weapons will devastate most things they shoot at- again, the best way to handle this is not to let them shoot at you. Tau have the most extensive (and, in fact, almost the only) access to Interceptor in the game- use it. Broadsides, Riptides, Ghostkeels, and Stormsurges will all make short work of most Drop Pod units.

As a drop pod player I say avoid the pie plate solution. You can not place a template in such a way that it covers your own models to start. I have really surprised tau players by huddling up right on their own units (grants cover as well!) to avoid the pie plate go boom, get three inches off the pod at one inch from the enemy and thumb your nose at the pie plate! I'd take a unit of each style just in case.

This does work, but getting the whole unit within 2" of the Tau models can be rather difficult (especially if you want to make use of a Heavy Flamer) and even if you manage it, most of the Tau blast weapons have the option for a solid-shot mode that doesn't rely on template placement (even if it is less effective.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...