Starting Malifaux

AbusePuppy

Hello, folks. Some of us down here in Corvallis-land are working on getting started with Malifaux- it's a game I've been eyeing for a while now and finally bit the bullet on. Ordo and Wyrd both have pretty good resources for getting started with things, but I did have a couple of questions.

First off, are there any regular Malifaux game nights in the area? Portland/Salem/Eugene is pretty much the limit on my driving distance, but it's always nice to have some new opponents to play with. I saw the tournament coming up at the end of April, which looks sexy, but I don't think I'd want to go into that cold turkey.

Second, what do you all do for terrain? I like the idea of the random terrain charts that the game uses, but it seems like it would necessitate a bewildering array of different pieces if you want to do it "right." Are there any good resources for getting some starter terrain? And on a similar note, what do you all use for a table mat? Are there any companies that make particularly good/affordable/thematic mats for the game?

Lebanon-land has 4 Malifauxers. We haven't been playing much lately but I am trying to convince the guys to get to it. Also, I work in Corvallis-land.

For terrain we just use all the stuff we have build up over years of playing Warhammer. We usually just set up a thematic table and call it a day. Don't use the charts much, but sometimes.

Every Friday and the fourth? Saturday a month is Malifaux at Guardian Games.

On the terrain front if you have a budget in mind I can give you some ideas. I have six Malifaux tables that I have put together from thematic locales all over the Malifaux map.

That is very good to know- Fridays are a bit awkward for me sometimes, but I do have them open on occasion, so I may start making the trip up.

I'm looking to start out slowly on the terrain front, so I don't want to spend too much ($30-$80) initially- but as a long-term project, I'm perfectly happy to go a lot further in building good tables. Finding good Victorian/turn-of-the-century styled terrain in 32mm scale is a lot harder than finding terrain for some other games, so any suggestions in that regard are highly appreciated.

Lebanon-land has 4 Malifauxers. We haven't been playing much lately but I am trying to convince the guys to get to it. Also, I work in Corvallis-land.

For terrain we just use all the stuff we have build up over years of playing Warhammer. We usually just set up a thematic table and call it a day. Don't use the charts much, but sometimes.

Oh yeah? We definitely need to get together once I have my box, then; I didn't realize there were any other players so close. If you guys have some decent terrain already, that helps a lot in getting things rolling- some pieces from 40K/WMH/etc seem like they would work fine for Malifaux, but others not so much.

Abuse! With the local scene pretty dead here in bham I'm gonna be playing pretty cold in the event in April. Highly recommend it mostly story driven!

I did play pretty heavy in first ed but my painted crew went through heavy changes... Or is taking side getting used to...

I definitely want to go, but there are four 40K tournaments I'm going to that month, plus the potential fifth local tourney that would be the same day as Breach. Which is not to say I won't do it, because I'm pretty dumb about that sort of thing, but it definitely makes things a little more difficult. How likely is it that the 40 spots will fill up before the event? I see that quite a few of them are full already, at least in theory, and I'd hate to miss out for being a slowpoke.

Oh yeah? We definitely need to get together once I have my box, then; I didn't realize there were any other players so close. If you guys have some decent terrain already, that helps a lot in getting things rolling- some pieces from 40K/WMH/etc seem like they would work fine for Malifaux, but others not so much.

Certainly not all terrain is equal, but we have a lot of options as we have been playing 40k/Fantasy since the late 80's.

Some 40k stuff works surprisingly well as oddball steampunky or ancient artifacts. We also have some old westy stuff we got more specifically for Malifaux.

We are getting together for Boardgames on Friday if you want to swing by and meet the crew.

Unfortunately(?) I'll be down in Vegas this weekend for the LVO, so it won't happen this time around- however, much of the rest of this month I should be available on Fridays, so maybe another night.

No worries. We get together at my place most every Friday. Lately it has been lots of board games, but like I said, I want to get some Malifaux in soon.

I'm one of the other lebanites. We've got plenty of terrain. in fact we could probably do 2 tables each on the 2 8 foot tables and another one on the 6x4 table.

I know we've set 4 full tables before.

We've got western lazer cut town, the more desertscape with the (ork scavver tents), the forest with ruined cottages, and then the streets with victorian houses and ruins. Ohh and forgot the swamp with rickety walkways and shacks. And thats just off the top of my head.

When you grow up with your local game store 70+ miles away you make alot of terrain on your own and you even get pretty ok at making it. lol

• Like 1

I'm one of the other lebanites. We've got plenty of terrain. in fact we could probably do 2 tables each on the 2 8 foot tables and another one on the 6x4 table.

I know we've set 4 full tables before.

We've got western lazer cut town, the more desertscape with the (ork scavver tents), the forest with ruined cottages, and then the streets with victorian houses and ruins. Ohh and forgot the swamp with rickety walkways and shacks. And thats just off the top of my head.

When you grow up with your local game store 70+ miles away you make alot of terrain on your own and you even get pretty ok at making it. lol

This sounds super-cool. I'm still waiting on my Rasputina, but I've gotten started on other stuff in the meanwhile- with any luck, I may be able to get a game in this week.

Now I just need to find a conversion for Raspy's Avatar form that doesn't look like poop from a butt...

Now I just need to find a conversion for Raspy's Avatar form that doesn't look like poop from a butt...

I'd say the Avatar is pretty unnecessary since they are only used in the campaign games (or as an Emissary). It's far more important to get the base crew followed by a few models that synergize a bit.

Awww, that's sad to hear. Well, not like I don't have other stuff to work on, so that's fine. :P

Some of the avatars were really really good. But probably overpowered as those overpowered ones tend to remove weaknesses built into masters without creating other ones. Rasputina is a good example as it removes her squishy but leaves no other weakness for opponents to counter with.

Ramos is another one and probably one of the more overpowered ones.

Yeah, but thats when gremlins basically never misfired and could have 3 actions each. (Much like runed dwarf cannons or the anivil with the character guy)

Errr... Gremlins still misfire the same amount (which is ~1/4 of the time) and now just die a bit more when taking the third action. I dropped Rasputina by using the advantage of my crew where it was effective(basically having lots of shots instead of quality shots). Using a higher skilled crew would kill her faster... being he defense was 3.

Her defense is definitely pretty low, and shooting is the only place she doesn't have any special defenses. The potential for armor could help some (pinging her twelve times when she's making healing flips seems... difficult) and staying out of LOS and using Ice Mirrors could help some, but it's kinda her natural weakness.