Portland Historical Wargames Day March 19

March 19 is the next Portland Historical Wargaming day, 2pm-6pm at Guardian Games (in the bar).  15mm armies will be provided for an instructional/demo game (or two) of De Bellis Antiquitatis (DBA) 3.0. 

Additionally, Bolt Action, SAGA, and/or Lion Rampant players are welcome.  Please respond if you are interested in bringing your army to play one of these games.  We will likely settle on one or the other of these games when we get closer to the 19th, depending on feedback.  There may be an English Civil War game using a variation of the Lion Rampant rules as well.

• Like 1

A reminder that the next Portland Historical Wargaming Day is this Saturday (March 19) from 2pm-6pm at Guardian Games (in the bar), featuring plenty of SAGA and Lion Rampant (both 28mm) so dust off that collection of dark age or medieval figures and come on down!  There will also be a demo game of DBA 3.0 in 15mm.

If you can make it, great! See you Saturday!

I bumped this thread, which has a pretty thorough breakdown on getting started. The faction overview is especially helpful. I believe you can order stuff through Guardian, but it's not quick. Haven Gaming in Salem had some books & dice last time I was in, and I'm sure the Game Matrix up in Tacoma does as well. The Warstore is my usual go-to source for stuff, but they're awfully light on actual Saga material right now. Or you can order directly from Gripping Beast, which might take a while to cross the Atlantic. Gabe and Spencer are members of the Old Glory army - cheap, good-quality figures. It might be easiest to order the books from Amazon, to be honest...

• Like 1

Lion Rampant is a rather generic skirmish game for medieval warfare - I'd say it focuses on around 1000 to 1500, but it's very flexible. Dragon Rampant is the fantasy version, and there are plenty of adaptations to ancients, Dark Ages, and the like. An army would be around 20-40 figures, on a 1:1 figure to man ratio.

Saga does indeed have a Crusades version, the Crescent and the Cross.