Ironwolves Question

SigurdBC

Hello folks,

I got my Curse of the Wulfen books a couple of days ago and after looking at the Space Wolves Decurion I had a couple of questions about the Ironwolves Legendary Pack that you can hopefully help me with. First, when it comes to the dedicated transports that you need to provide for your non-vehicle troops as part of the restrictions, can you go out and pay for a Land Raider without having to go and grab a Spear of Russ formation and therefore have to pay for the Predators/Whirlwinds/etc. or can you just take them as dedicated transports like you would normally in a CAD and such. Secondly, you have the option to take in the formation 0-2 Lone Wolves. After looking at my Codex to see what kind of transports Lone Wolves can take, their entry does not have any dedicated transports listed. So my questions is, do they not have to take transports because they can't take one normally or because of the formation restrictions do you have to shove them into a razorback, drop pod, etc. to make the formation work? Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks guys.

Sincerely,

SigurdBC

• Like 2

It doesn't say that you have to have a Transport for each Unit. It says that you have to have sufficient Transport Capacity for everyone. That's a different story. So if you've got a 5-man Pack of Grey Hunters in a Rhino, and then a 5-man Pack of Wolf Scouts, you're fine. I plan on running it under the assumption that the only thing that's allowed to be broken is the one-Unit-per-Transport restriction, so you still need a Land Raider or StormWolf to take Lone Wolves in Terminator Armour, but the RAW doesn't seem to require that.

Fluff-wise, they can share rides on the way to the battle, but once they hit the combat zone, they switch to battle protocol, which is one Unit per Transport.

• Like 1

It doesn't say that you have to have a Transport for each Unit. It says that you have to have sufficient Transport Capacity for everyone. That's a different story. So if you've got a 5-man Pack of Grey Hunters in a Rhino, and then a 5-man Pack of Wolf Scouts, you're fine. I plan on running it under the assumption that the only thing that's allowed to be broken is the one-Unit-per-Transport restriction, so you still need a Land Raider or StormWolf to take Lone Wolves in Terminator Armour, but the RAW doesn't seem to require that.

Fluff-wise, they can share rides on the way to the battle, but once they hit the combat zone, they switch to battle protocol, which is one Unit per Transport.

Hmm. I get where you're coming from, but I've been assuming the least powerful interpretation on this one. Maybe someone will FAQ it.

Hmm. I get where you're coming from, but I've been assuming the least powerful interpretation on this one. Maybe someone will FAQ it.

I'm going least powerful interpretation that allows for all the listed Units to be used. Same as I did for the RavenWing Detachment that ended up getting FAQed exactly as I'd been playing it.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I didn't consider Westrider's perspective on the transport capacity for everyone. I took the restriction to mean that every unit had to have a transport. So everyone knows the wording here is it: "You must include enough Dedicated Transports with sufficient transport capacity to carry all non-vehicle models from this Formation". Therefore, I believe we've come to a consensus that you just have to provide the slots for all of your infantry models, but can still have some units, like Wolf Scouts or Long Fangs, foot slogging and not having to be in a transport. Very interesting. Time to go look at my list again and take the Long Fangs out of their Drop Pod =) Here's another question for you guys to wrestle with: With my Land Raider Crusader having 16 transport slots for regular Grey Hunters does putting a squad of 5 Terminators in that Land Raider taking up a total of 10 slots because of Bulky meaning that there are only 6 total transport slots left or are we going by model count alone and therefore there would still be 11 slots open to count for the rest of the army?

Also here's my 2000pt. Ironwolves List for those that want to have a look and offer suggestions. Just note that I am limited a bit by my kinds of transports, but general list building help is always appreciated.

HQ

Wolf Lord- 165pts

• Terminator Armor
  • Frost Sword
  • Armor of Asvald Stormwrack

Wolf Guard Terminators (5) (w/ Wolf Lord) - 240pts

• Thunder Hammer Storm Shield (5)
  • Land Raider Crusader (Extra Armour, Hunter Killer Missile (10pts), Multi-melta, stormbolter) 260pts

Blood Claws (5) - 135pts 

• Pack Leader w/ Power Fist
  • Flamer
  • Drop Pod

Blood Claws (10) - 380pts

• Meltagun
  • Stormwolf

Grey Hunters (10) - 253pts

• Meltagun/Plasma Gun
  • Rhino (Extra Armour, Hunter Killer, Dozer Blade, Storm Bolter)

Grey Hunters (10) - 246pts

• Pack Leader with Power Fist
  • Flamer/Plasma Gun
  • Rhino (Extra Armour, Hunter Killer, Dozer Blade, Storm Bolter)

Long Fangs (5) - 185pts

• 4 w/ Missile Launcher

Lone Wolf - 65pts

• Terminator Armour
  • Combi Melta
  • Power Fist

Lone Wolf - 65pts

• Terminator Armour
  • Combi Melta
  • Power Fist

Total Army Point Value: 1994pts

It talks about Capacity, which means the Bulky would matter, since that affects how much Capacity a Model takes up. So yeah, Termies take up two slots there.

I'd probably still look at grabbing a Razorback for your Long Fangs. 50 Points worth of free upgrades on those is nothing to laugh at.

Thanks for the answer on that West. That does make sense. As for the Razorback, it's on the list and yeah a free twin-linked lascannon or assault cannon for free included all of the armour, hunter killer, dozer, and storm bolter upgrades is so hilariously wonderful. 

Also, you can only take Relics from Champions of Fenris for Models in Detachments or Formations from that book, so no Armour of Asvald Stormwrack in the Ironwolves. It's on pg.48 in CoF, near the bottom.

The Armour of Asvald Stormwrack is hideously overpriced anyhow, since they forgot to have it make the same weapon swaps as normal Terminator Armour, so it's effectively 20 Points more expensive than it should be because you're not getting the Storm Bolter and Power Weapon.

• Like 1

Also, you can only take Relics from Champions of Fenris for Models in Detachments or Formations from that book, so no Armour of Asvald Stormwrack in the Ironwolves. It's on pg.48 in CoF, near the bottom.

The Armour of Asvald Stormwrack is hideously overpriced anyhow, since they forgot to have it make the same weapon swaps as normal Terminator Armour, so it's effectively 20 Points more expensive than it should be because you're not getting the Storm Bolter and Power Weapon.

But it's tda you can get on a thunder wolf or bike.

There is that. But you can also just get Runic Armour and a Storm Shield. I think more cheaply, too.

Yes, a storm shield and runic armor is 35pts. (20 for runic and 15 for the storm shield) whereas the Stormwrack armor is 40pts. You do lose IWND, but rarely is that game breaking. On the other hand though you are adding a lot of points to your warlord w/ a bike or TWM. Wouldn't be what I'd do since I"m a boys over toys guy, but some players would go for it. 

i am a big fan of not giving away slay the warlord 1 its a point 2 you drop the trait when he dies. so a shield is really a good idea. also look at your points and logan it may be worth the upgrade if your that close.

Lone wolf loadout is tricky with a combi melta and a fist you can deepstrike and kill a vehicle. but i like them as tarpits with a shield and fist/hammer.

I like the fact you have a good amount of troops and some heavy hitters in there too good list. 40 power armor troops is a lot to chew along with a landraider full of termys and 2 eternal warrior terms to slow down or kill key targets.

I look forward to playing that against that list.

Fave fun

TW