Mid-war and prep for Enfilade!

barca

1700 points mid-war

Enfilade! 2016 Registration - online

1. go to http://enfilade.gamecon.us/reg/default.asp

2. Create an account

3. Click on link "Register for the Convention"

4. Choose an option: Registration Fee , with or without T-shirt. If T-shirt selected, choose size.

5. Fill out registration info.

6. Fill in payment information: PayPal/Debit/Credit

7. Complete registration, wait for payment confirmation.

8. Print out receipt.

9. Go back to this page: http://enfilade.gamecon.us/reg/Events.asp

10. Scroll down to "Time Block C"

11. Find this event: Enfilade 2016 Flames Of War MW Tournament

12. Click on the "Signup" link.

Sorry about that, ZEKE.

I agree on the Theme part. Seems too narrow, when compared to the convention them of "Against All odds."

My Hungarians would qualify for the convention theme, but not the Painting competition theme.

I wonder if OFCC has a painting competition?

My Russian sappers will be ready for that and they should look pretty good.

The painting competition I was refering to is the Enfilage Convention Painting Cotest, not the Flames of War paint judging.  The Flames of War tournament is still typical FOW type, and NO I am not bringing anything as exotic as my Hungarian Underwater Demolition Company.

What in the Verse is that?

San Francisco.

Josh I think I was the only one planning on going to nationals at Kublacon, but I already burned all my vacation time taking care of my wife while she had our baby so I am restricted to a more local scene.  Its a shame though, as the Kublacon tournament already has 40? people signed up!

May 27th is KublaCon.  It claims to be the West Coast Nationals.  Pretty cool.  I am actually going to California for the Bay Area Open in July and to Enfilade in May and so on so i have a pretty full chedule as it is but it sounds cool.

I wonder if i could compete well at it?  If so it could be worth penciling in.

I believe we are currently at 40 players, which surpasses the number we had at the first West Coast Nats in 2014, where we had 36 I believe.

I understand Enfilade is much closer to you guys. If I were in your shoes, I'd do the same thing. As it stands it's either 6 hours to SF or 9-10 hours to Seattle for me, so I'm going to the Bay Area. I would be great to have some guys from the PNW come down and truly make it a 'West Coast' event, but the distances are always so huge. It becomes a circular thing where no one from outside the West Coast thinks we can put up the numbers to be taken seriously like the big East Coast cons, so they don't show up and then think we're a bunch of backwater FoW players (even though Eric Riha and Bill Wilcox ruled the FoW tourney scene, and both were 'from' CA). They don't understand that while we have the same amount of people playing (probably), a five hour drive for them gets them through several states on the eastern seaboard, it only gets me through 4 counties. The BF rep made a huge faux-pas last time commmenting on our numbers, even after he just said it was the best event he'd ever seen (at the time I guess, don't think he works there anymore). We are getting some way way way out of towners though, so it's an improvement. Sorry for the rant, here's a link.

www.westcoastnationals.net

Congrats on the baby, Mike. I totally understand your desire to stay close to home.

This event will have the sweet new Iwo Jima objective, but it might not be worth it for you guys, haha.

Josh,

thx 4 the background.

Aside from the distance, multiple events on the same day/weekend makes for a tough decision.

To prevent those types of collisions, a handful of the 'regular' FoW players from Oregon and Washington got together and agreed on the outline of a schedule for FoW tournament events.  Main ideas:

- have tournaments rotate geographical locations,

and

-occur about once every two months.

That still allows room for special events that are not traditional tournaments (or other non-FoW events).

The geographical rotation pulls in more stores and people who are less likely to travel.

This thread is what we came up with:

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/27114-fow-upcoming-events-map/

That approach provides the opportunity to plan your list, paint it up, practice and plan your travel and time off.  It was inspired by the "NorCal Flames of War Tournament Circuit" 2011-2013:

http://flamesofwar.gamescape-north.com/norcalfow2011/

http://flamesofwar.gamescape-north.com/norcalfow2012/
http://www.flamesofwar.gamescape-north.com/norcalfow2013/

Even if you could only manage one event every four months, you still had something to count on and get ready for: 3 big events a year.

Or, plan how you could fit in your other types of games.

Now some of the events are closer, than 2 months, but not all of the events were within our control.  We added events that were already in the pipeline and that are loosely coordinated here: http://www.nhmgs.org/events.html

rehash: Each year I have emails with Battlefront about this topic since NHMGS is the historical miniatures convention in the northwest and has been holding the flames of war tournament on the same weekend for years.  Been trying to lure them to have a nationals at Enfilade and keep holding out hope. But it is all about numbers.

• Like 1

ell my trip to the Bay Area Open in July, with Hotel, Car and round trip ticket is costing me like $320 (plus he event ticket).  So i mean, to go to a major event, this is really not that expensive (to me).  I mean if its a major once every couple years kind of a trip, it could be fun.  

My trouble this year is of course that I am attending the Bay Area Open so...  I have already kind of spent my nut as far a gaming cons goes.  But bleive me when I say that I would probably attend such a thing if, as in the case of the Bay Area Open, I could get some others to come with me.  THREE of us are heading down together and its just really super fun to go to stuff like that with friends (I feel).  So dont feel like you cant keep telling us about events cause I want to hear about them.

Unfortunately, it is all about numbers. I'll pipe up about anything major going on, but Kublacon is usually your best bet. Pacificon is neat, but doesn't have the same...gravitas as Kubla.

I'v never really bought the 'central' location excuse BF throws out. They have had major tournaments in high school basketball gyms in podunk Pennsyltucky more than once! Seattle and Portland have major airports and excellent public transport, and are freaking awesome.

Honestly I'd rather pop up to Seattle or Portland for a big tournament one of these years. South San Francisco /= San Francisco proper...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After Enfilade, I will start building up paired army lists, and cool terrain and scenarios.

This should help in recruiting new players or entice lapsed players by presenting them with a table ready to go.

This way, I can have some fun with lists that don't get played much:

- fortified list vs. Breaching list.

- Mountain battles

- recon-in-force vs. rear guard