Eyeballing the Apocalypse options for my Tyranids. Most of the options downright suck, since it's clear GW has no clue how to balance the bio-titans with the regular titans. Not to mention, the Barbed and Scythed Heirodules have totally mis-sized models for normal 40k since the tyranid MC models have become much larger since they were created.

So, Tyranid Harridan. I know it was legal in escalation during 6th, and that it's a hugely expensive model (in cash costs). Is it legal in non-apocalypse 40k? Is it viable? Anyone ever even seen one on the table top?

In terms of cash, I could get like 13 carnifexes for the cost of this one guy. Yeah, ~$25 each (including shipping) on ebay for the old metal Carnifex (not sure there's 13 to buy...). The exchange rate on the GBP looks like ~$326 for the harridan (free shipping). Cash isn't my main concern here, but I think it helps illustrate the value the model should represent to my army.

EDIT: If it matters, I would be bringing gargoyles no matter what.

The biggest thing to me with FW purchases is: do I like the model?

I don't care about the rules, I'm dropping serious cash because I like the model.

If I wanted to play a game of cash for rules, I'd play Magic The Gathering.

If you like the Harridan, buy it.  Don't worry about the rules, play it because you like the model and want to see it on the table.

• Like 3

I don't care about the rules, I'm dropping serious cash because I like the model.

If you like the Harridan, buy it.  Don't worry about the rules, play it because you like the model and want to see it on the table.

That's sound advice. Though I have found that if I love a model, being not allowed to use it in normal games can very much limit my enjoyment of it.

Who do you play with that has a problem with FW?  It seems that most people have came around to it, these days.

FW yes, but that harridan is 735pts. It isn't the same as adding a 400pt imperial knight to the game. I don't like putting my opponent in a situation where they aren't having fun - ruins my fun.

Anyway, lately I've just been playing with a friend who's very rusty on 40k, so we've been banning FW just to keep down the number of rules he needs to know. No real issues with FW for either of us.

I have been considering rejoining the GG league or attending Tuesdays at WoW, which is more where this question is directed. Maybe it's fine now, I have been out of the loop for a while.

The Harridan is not legal in most ITC events, as they do not allow Flying Gargantuan Creatures. There are a small handful that do allow it (Broadside Bash and a few others, I think) but none that I'm aware of in the Northwest area.

If you're looking at Apocalypse stuff for Tyranids, it really comes down to the Scythed and Barbed Heirodule. Although neither is particularly amazing, they both have some useful traits; the Scythed has a good Hellstorm flamer that can wipe out Marines in numbers, though unfortunate that's really all it has going for it. The Barbed Heirodule is more commonly seen and can be a good way to break open certain kinds of vehicles; unfortunately, in a world of Grav, Monofilament and Destroyer it tends to go down fairly quickly even with the benefit of a Venomthrope/Malanthrope nearby.

If you're looking at Apocalypse stuff for Tyranids, it really comes down to the Scythed and Barbed Heirodule. Although neither is particularly amazing, they both have some useful traits; the Scythed has a good Hellstorm flamer that can wipe out Marines in numbers, though unfortunate that's really all it has going for it. The Barbed Heirodule is more commonly seen and can be a good way to break open certain kinds of vehicles; unfortunately, in a world of Grav, Monofilament and Destroyer it tends to go down fairly quickly even with the benefit of a Venomthrope/Malanthrope nearby.

Yeah, that was pretty much my evaluation, too. Sad they didn't plan for the many poison-like weapons, but I don't really the models anyway, so the issue isn't huge.

Harridan seemed the only viable one, just because most weapons that skyfire are not weapons that bypass T8. But I understand not allowing 700+ point models in games 2k and under.

Hmm...Maybe I'll pick up that AV 15 building for my tyranids in apocalypse (Aquilla Strongpoint). Maybe two. Could convert up a bio-plasma obliterator for ITC related games.

Thematically, I've always wanted to see an "Infested Terran Command Center" for 40k tyranids.

Plus I can totally justify a building that has a "malfunctioning" targeting computer that launches Vortex missiles each round. Marines get sent in to stop the computer, only to find the building completely infested with tyranids.

Honestly I couldn't have said it better.  I've just started building and even occasionally painting bugs as well and for me it's all about the models and playing a few friendly games with my son.  If I've learned one thing about 40K over the years it's "if you don't like the rules, just wait - they'll change."  At this point GW has some really lovely models both in the regular plastic and the Forgeworld side of the house.  I picked up some Forgeworld stuff to take advantage of the free shipping... don't care how they do on the table, I just think they're awesome looking...