FoW Tournament - Northwest Invasion 2016 (Official Thread)

barca

In the past events, we always had unequal numbers on the two teams. The size of the smaller team would dictate the number of scores from the larger team that would count.

For example, Team A has 4 players, Team B has 6 players. Only the top four scores on each team counted when the final scores at the end of the event were reviewed.  Also since the teams were unequal size, the two bottom players on Team B would end up playing each other.  It worked well enough in the past as the team captains made sure the matches were fair for both teams. No one wanted to see a blow out match or charity points.

I did always have a problem with the non-equal team sizes and would have preferred fixed team sizes.  Smaller fixed team sizes provide a means that other regions could be included in a team challenge event; Like OFCC does with other game systems but maybe it is not doable with the numbers.

How did you address unequal size teams? Any suggestions?

How did you address unequal size teams?

That's what the secondary code for the team is...set enough aside to even it out (half the difference in team sizes), then do the main pairings, then do the remainder blue-on-blue using the secondary code to prevent the usual opponents.

For team win record, we only counted team-vs-team games.  For individual win record, we counted all of them.

I would recommend against doing full places...naming only the top of each team helps keep the focus on the team aspect, while still allowing for the highly competitive to have a shot at something.

My apology for the delay in response but I have been TDY for the past week and I am just getting back in. I have never participated in a NW Invasion. From the historical context, I figured it was just dudes from the south beating on dudes from the north in a team based tournament. I have always been a fan of simplicity and would elect to keep that flavor as time is just something I do not have a lot of these days.

Recommendation is that points total decide the winning team after three matches. Red on blue are valid points, blue on blue are not counted toward the team but the individual score as Dylan noted. Captains are appointed the day of the fight when we know who will show up. If the desire is to have a more complex organization of the game, I will need help.

Currently we have five tables reserved, but it is looking like we are going to use only four, leaving us with a kit table. I will set up the night prior at 2300ish and will pack out after we finish. At current pace, Ed and I have enough terrain to dress four nice tables. My request is that Portland guys bring a little stuff if a fifth table is required.

Please throw about concerns and I can continue to work them this week.

Hanaur: if you want to support with terrain, please come the night before if possible. We are setting up late so security should not be an issue with our kit. If you cannot make th night prior, we can work the morning of, but be there right at doors opening if at all possible.

Thank you for the contribution.

Team: for the painting competition, please bring a sample photo or artist rendering of the period colors/ style. The store will be officiating and it is possible that the judge's historical knowledge will be novice. Thus a reference point is highly encouraged.

I am waiting to hear back from Barca on my scoring rubrics but the plan roughly is:

Best general 30%

Best art/history/display 30%

Best Commander (sum of above points + plus sportsmanship totals) 40%. I figured this would be more difficult to achieve and thus a better run on the prizes.

This gives the possibility to win in three areas

This gives the possibility to win in three areas

Not quite...it makes Sportsmanship not matter unless you also dominate two other categories.  This is similar to the typical scoring, though there is nothing inherently wrong with staying with the typical.

If you want to encourage fun games, you have prizes for the funnest opponents.  If you want to encourage winning games, you have prizes for the top scorers.  If you want to encourage presentation, you have prizes for the best looking forces.

In short, you reward behaviors that you want to encourage.

I prefer having the unit history/painting handed out as a separate award and not factoring into the overall scores, but that's just my two bits.

There is an award for best art.

There is an award for best tactics (General)

The larger award is for the person that is most balanced in all disciplines.

Can't make everyone happy.

Noland, I misunderstood, I didn't realize there would be separate awards for best overall, best painted and best general.

I thought you were saying, there is one award and its based 30% on generalship, 30% based on painting, and 40% on best overall + sportsman. Which doesn't make any sense lol!

I'm happy with the current arrangement :)

• Like 1