Rate the Last PC/Console Game You Played

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:16 AM, Duckman said:

The Division 2 is in open beta this weekend.  I played in the closed beta.  Limited access to the world but you get a glimpse of normal zones, the dark zone, the quest cycle for both areas, missions, and infiltrated missions.  This is very much derivative of the first game and does well taking the successful parts of that game to build on.  It changes some mechanics (the way you unlock tech and skills is different but the popular powers are still there) and it introduces "specialization" at level 30 which gives some new options as well.  Worth a look if you were a fan of the first.

4.5/5 for the looter-shooter genre.

Does it require co-op or is there a decent solo game?

I'd say that depends a lot on you and your play-style.

I played most of the demo solo but I also played with friends when they logged in later.  I was able to solo all the content.  The challenge with friends is more entertaining for me because it changes how the game flows and feels (more bad guys, different tactics, etc.).  This was true in the original as well.

The demo also offered some Dark Zone play but I didn't do much there.  In the original you didn't really want to play Dark Zone solo and there was stuff in the DZ that was not available in other places so you would be missing out on some content/specific items that way.

Finally, the demo offered an example of level 30 content.  They have "invaded" missions which we saw and raids which we did not.  Apparently there are 5 world tiers at 30 (the original had 4 I believe and they should function the same way).  Invaded missions should also be reminiscent of missions at level 30 in the original.  I was able to solo the invaded mission they gave us at the tier that they gave it to us but I don't know how that was really scaled.  (Again, I preferred playing it with others.)

The solo campaign is supposed to be ~40 hours.  Additional end-game available solo.  Some portions of end-game not available solo (specifically raids).

• 1 month later...

Got Pokemon Go recently. I was with a windows phone before, so I only recently have become able to install it.

I really like it fore exercise purposes.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:49 AM, paxmiles said:

Got Pokemon Go recently. I was with a windows phone before, so I only recently have become able to install it.

I really like it fore exercise purposes.

I've been playing Ingress (now Ingress Prime) for 5 years. If anyone ever wants to try the game out let me know and I'll send you an invite (You don't need an invite, but it gives me recruit credit)

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2019 at 4:01 PM, Romans832 said:

I've been playing Ingress (now Ingress Prime) for 5 years. If anyone ever wants to try the game out let me know and I'll send you an invite (You don't need an invite, but it gives me recruit credit)

Does it cost?

• 4 weeks later...

Pokemon Sun Ultra (nintendo 3ds)

Borrowing the game and console from my little brother. I've got about 40hrs logged and I'm mostly though the main plot (which I'd estimate to be about half of the game). I really like it, though I think the 3ds console is too small for my adult hands and it kinda hurts after extended use.

If you ever wanted to see an example of a Neutral Good protagonist, this a linear RPG centered around a NG protagonist and living in a setting which supports NG adventuring.

And as far as linear RPGs go, this one is really well done.

Satisfactory - 4/5

I'm a sucker for world builders, this is a pretty amazing one. The main concepts of the game are almost identical to Factorio. Turn environment resources into stuff, and conveyor it around the map in some mad completely disorganized bowl of conveyor spaghetti. This game gets a huge mention because it looks beautiful, it plays from an FPS perspective, and it does a really great job of letting you build very complex 3-D assembly structures without too much hassle. The neat building menu and slick construction animations really make this game satisfying. The map (some alien planet) is absolutely gorgeous and massive, albeit static.

The only downside is that there is no external threat sending waves of biters at your factory to punish you for your polluting ways. The game is still under development, so ill keep my hopes up.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 4:57 PM, paxmiles said:

Good or bad?

I dont think space engineers is as good as minecraft, but this is from the perspective of minecraft + tons and tons of mods. SE has some neat qualities for sure. The coolest thing is that apparently whatever ship you build you can export as an STL file for 3-D printing, which is pretty amazing. The ship building is basically the coolest part of the game.

4 hours ago, Romans832 said:

Haven't played in 6 years.... thoughts on the changes since then and or vanilla vs now?

So much.

Latest thing of note is that they altered how PVP servers work. Instead having each server all or nothing PVP, you can "opt in" for PVP whenever you want in exchange for an xp buff. On the other hand, if you want to quest without fear of getting ganked, you just "opt out" and the other faction won't attack you. It's quite nice.

For those not paying attention to such things, they are releasing Classic at the end of the month (in theory on 8/27 if you believe them).  They have announced that you will be able to reserve names on 8/13 but they have still not been able to announce the servers so nobody knows where they would be reserving names.

Classic is being released at 1.12 with phased content (but not phased loot, everything will be released at the 1.12 state).  They have some issues which has to do with using the new Battlenet-integrated client instead of the original and what they are trying to do to implement batching (which was tuned to 0.4 seconds in Vanilla and has since been tuned much lower).  They are also implementing what they are calling layering (a kind of global phasing) for some portion of the first content drop to allow for high populations which drop off and still keep a viable server population.

I'm still on the fence about playing this one...  I want to play a good, solid, robust vanilla experience but 1.12 had some terrible balance issues that were created to allow more people access to more content prior to TBC.  It's also unclear to me that the community will be an improvement over the modern mess that is any MMO community which I have found to be a serious turn-off when I try to play WoW (even with a sub) these days.

I've gone back and tried to play WoW in the past with a sub and found that the current retail game sucks for primary content (cannot speak to raiding).  The open world is not used.  Dungeons are antisocial speed runs.  Content is neither well written nor engaging and it is done over and over out of necessity for the loot pinata, not because anything about it is engaging.  This is an MMO intended to be run with all chat channels turned off.  Why would I not just buy a stand-alone RPG and rely on AI or a game where I can play all the characters?  At least then I would not have idiots in my group and I might even argue that the computer dialog is better.

@Duckman So I've been unclear about this. Is the idea that we just play the base WOW game, or is the idea that they are rebooting the expansions?

On 8/1/2019 at 7:35 AM, Duckman said:

I've gone back and tried to play WoW in the past with a sub and found that the current retail game sucks for primary content (cannot speak to raiding).  The open world is not used.  Dungeons are antisocial speed runs.  Content is neither well written nor engaging and it is done over and over out of necessity for the loot pinata, not because anything about it is engaging.  This is an MMO intended to be run with all chat channels turned off.  Why would I not just buy a stand-alone RPG and rely on AI or a game where I can play all the characters?  At least then I would not have idiots in my group and I might even argue that the computer dialog is better.

I've never really been one of "those" players. Before my first WOW guild, I'd just wander around without really talking to people.

When I started, I had played Warcraft 2, but not 3, so I remember avoiding Lordaeron with my undead character because I was under the impression that it was the Human capital. Made the game a lot harder...Was such a nice surprise when a friend showed me the Undercity. Really wonderful.

I got the game in 2004, but was at least a couple years later that I actually formed a group with people. Wasn't really doing very well in that period of my life. Wasn't on every month, mind you, was in high school during that period.

I eventually got into my cousin's guild, and from there, learned about groups and raids and such. But even there, our guild was too small to ever do a raid. Raids were a mystery prior to that "raid finder" option. And I never felt I was missing out.

Anyway, these days, when I'm on, I get my level 110 character (which was free with expansion purchase, not a leveled character), and explore areas for level 90 (or lower) characters. Makes the game really easy and I can just chill at my own pace. That's the game I want to play.

3 hours ago, Duckman said:

Classic is a museum piece in theory...  It is (right now) just Classic.  No expansions, no new development, nothing like that.  Just Vanilla with an artificial progression schedule.

Interesting. I can see why that would appeal to blizzard. Sounds really cheap to operate. Even if it only lasts for a limited run, Still probably quite profitable.