Rate the Last PC/Console Game You Played

• 3 weeks later...

Solace Crafting

PC game in open beta on Steam. $15.

Been enjoying it a bit. It's a minecraft alternate. UI and graphics is very similar to WoW, though characters are realistic rather than cartoony.

Game has an interesting difficulty mechanic, where enemies become more challenging the further you are away from the starting point (random maps, like minecraft). I haven't figured out the whole game, but so far it involves a lot of running.

It's very simple and apparently there's only a single programmer making the entire game, but it's decent. Reminds me of very early minecraft.

• 4 weeks later...

Got Monster Hunter World for the ps4 when it very briefly went on sale. It's not bad, but I find it kinda dull. It tries too hard to be an online game, and I really just want to enjoy it by myself.

Game is pretty, though it features lots iffy technology and oversized weapons (I kinda think it's for the seeing impaired, rather than for making the game look cooler). Dunno, you go around and complete quests, and you fight against dinosaurs. Good mindless fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Playing OuterWorlds right now.  It's by the folks who made Fallout: New Vegas (Obsidian).  It's gotten pretty stellar reviews in spite of the limited content (reported as 25 hours, 40 for completionists, but with high replay value).  Personally, I never played New Vegas (I own it but never made the time I don't think).  The interface is FPS-RPG (not turn-based but there are mechanics to make the FPS portion easier for the player if they want to go that route).  SkillUp has an in-depth review on YouTube which offers pretty high praise.

Personally, I think the initial content shows good design.  I have seen multiple solutions to multiple problems/quests...  Mechanical solutions (i.e. jumping puzzles) or stealth or social all to solve the same problem.  Main storyline is not black and white.  The first major choice is really a personal choice for the player...  Pick a faction and support one and hurt another...  No way around it...  Skills mitigate some of the choices but still not completely.

Multiple modes including one that is not exactly hard-core (permadeath) but is close.  The game does not allow reincarnation after death but the basic game autosaves often and the supernova mode gets rid of most autosaves, etc.

I'm enjoying what I have played and seen so far but SkillUp's review does that far more justice than I can.

• Like 1

Beat me to it.

Finished Outer Worlds today. After making a few mistakes, I just went hack n slash. Only been playing for a day or two.

Definitely want to try again with a new character, now that I know the game more.

This game reminds me of Titan Quest. That one was a very generic Diablo clone which arrived in-between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3. Titan Quest wasn't nearly as good as either, but it's a good game for people tired of waiting for Diablo 3 to arrive.

Game is a fallout/Mass effect clone that isn't as good, but still has a nice niche for people who are waiting for improved versions of those games. It's higher quality than Elex, but rather similar otherwise.

On the note of hack and slash in Outer Worlds, after totally wiping out every member of a certain faction because a few members said something in dialogue  that slightly offended my chaotic evil protagonist; I was very impressed to find that the game actually accounted for them being wiped out in dialogue options.

Game does suffer from omnipresent reputation penalties. On the other hand, mass murder of a specific faction has zero carry over to reputation with other factions. You'd think after personally killing hundreds of innocent people, the other factions might want to keep their distance...

Game has a level cap of 30. In completing the entire game and murdering hundreds of NPCs, I got to about level 26 or 27. And despite not getting to the cap,  I kinda feel like the game gives xp too easily.

I spend most of the game using a 2-handed melee weapon, almost never using stealth, dodging or blocking. Heavy armor, lots of health, and lots of healing potion-inhaler. Normal Difficulty. I took 3 flaws on my character by the end of it, and did most of the game without companions (in the bigger battles, companions noticeably slow the PS4).

I got 53% of the achievements and wasn't trying for any of them (game has very reasonable achievements).

After going the route I did, next game is either sneaking or charisma or lots of shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the "supernova" difficulty for Outer Worlds. It's kinda like Fallout's survival mode. The big difference is that you can only save on the Ship, rather than in beds. It does let you fast travel to the ship (and only the ship). If you die, you just load from your last save on the ship.

The other bit is that you can't drink from streams and such, if you need hydration, you have to purchase water in town. So I think supernova difficulty leans towards a character build that has vendor discounts and bonus to inventory. Food is pretty easy to get, but water basically requires purchasing.

It's not really harder, just adds a layer of tedious and punishes deaths by making you re-do everything (no randomizers in this game, so you really are just re-doing it).

• 3 weeks later...

Went back to Elex. It's kinda terrible, but it's also one with a lot of content I haven't completed and it's a long game. Really wish I could forget Dragonage Inquistion, and start that one again, but I remember it too well. Anywho.

Started over in Elex. Joined the "Clerics" this time. Cleric magic is really convenient, though the Cleric NPCs are annoying. All the NPCs in this game are annoying, but the clerics probably the most.

Went out of my way to avoid "Abessa" until I was very high level. I finally figured out that the time-sensitive quests are keyed to when you trigger the start of the quest, not timed to your play-time. So by ignoring Abessa, I avoid the negative consequence of not finishing content in a timely manner and can wait until I'm very capable to solve it. I'm level 25 or so. Game doesn't scale to your level, so if you can wait long enough, you can do easier quests by being over-leveled.

Gameplay is still very awkward.

I'm playing at "easy" difficulty and get killed pretty often. Elex really doesn't have a good damage mitigation option, you usually have subpar armor that costs way too much and your weapon damage isn't very high relative to your enemies. On the other hand, enemies, even low level ones, do lots of damage if you let them. Tactics, more or less, revolve around exploiting weak points in the Ai, rather than a real strategy that makes sense.  Like shooting at a range where the NPC thinks it can shoot you, but their projectiles disappear before they land.

On the other hand, NPC enemies kinda cheat too. Like big ogre throws a rock with a forward throw in a slow manner, so you roll to the side, but the rock ignores physics and "shoots" from the outstretched to follow a backwards course that leads it precisely to you. Or lobs the rock through a hill to appear on the other side and hit you...

South Park: Order of the Stick of Truth. 

PS4.

Got it and it's sequel very discounted on the PS4 store.

Love this game. It's a near perfect RPG. Turn based combat, engaging plot. Good character creation.

This is also be the first game in a long while that really deserves its mature rating

• 4 weeks later...

Christmas came and with it came a bunch of titles from friends and the wishlist.  Also, a change of pace needed after grinding PvP rep in Warcraft.

Conan Unconquered - This is Age of Empires meets Tower Defense and it is done fairly well if that sounds like a good concept to you.  There are multiple layers of research and resources to work through while keeping up with waves of enemies spawning and rushing your defenses.  You have active control over your recruiting and your armies at all times so you can explore, build and expand as well as defend when the waves come at you.  Supports single-player and two-man co-op.  It is pausable and you can give orders (build, move and buy) while paused but nothing else happens.  Resource management in co-op is fairly well done as well so high marks for this if the concept is up your alley. 4-4.5 out of 5.

Planetbase - Build a base and survive on an airless (or corrosive) world.  Essentially this is trying to mimic Mars or Venus or possibly dark side of Mercury.  Fairly simple once the mechanics are well understood and it becomes an exercise in rote tedium of repeated expansion using optimal ratios of buildings.  Achievements are intended to force one complete play-through on each of three world types with replayability only in so much as it takes you to optimize the rotation for that planet-type and get all the acheesements.

• Thanks 1

Hell Let Loose 11/10

Love the game. Its a realistic WW2 first person shooter. A warfare simulator. Each team has squads and a commander with a person being able to communicate to squad leaders and locally nearby players while squad leads can communicate with squad leads and commanders. 

Combat is based on sector control. So battles will move back and forth across rather large maps. Both teams have tanks/artillery/airplanes (you cant fly the airplanes just call in airstrikes/strafing runs). Requires a lot of team playing along with strategic thinking, setting up spawn points, building resource nodes, setting up barbed wire, anti-tank guns, sandbags. 

Can't rave about it enough. Super fun game. It really gives you the feel of fighting a battle. 

Someone wants to squad up with me let me know. 

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 3:28 PM, generalripphook said:

Hell Let Loose 11/10

Love the game. Its a realistic WW2 first person shooter. A warfare simulator. Each team has squads and a commander with a person being able to communicate to squad leaders and locally nearby players while squad leads can communicate with squad leads and commanders. 

Combat is based on sector control. So battles will move back and forth across rather large maps. Both teams have tanks/artillery/airplanes (you cant fly the airplanes just call in airstrikes/strafing runs). Requires a lot of team playing along with strategic thinking, setting up spawn points, building resource nodes, setting up barbed wire, anti-tank guns, sandbags. 

Can't rave about it enough. Super fun game. It really gives you the feel of fighting a battle. 

Someone wants to squad up with me let me know. 

Thanks for this. I'm always on the lookout for a good WWII game. I've been tempted by post scriptum but never pulled the trigger. I'll take a look once I get home and if I get it, I'll let you know. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hades for the Nintendo Switch is an isometric Action RPG, in a similar vein as Diablo. Based on Greek Classical Mythology, the game follows Zagreus, the son of Hades, in his attempts to escape the Underworld or die trying. And he will die, over and over and over again.

You break out of the House of Hades, grab a weapon of choice, then run through the randomly arraigned and monster infested rooms of the Underworld. Along the way, you collect Boons from various Olympian gods that are trying to aid you, buy power-ups and health refills from Charon the Ferryman, and slowly grind up your permanent stats... Then you die. Then you repeat the process.

The game actually makes the grind-die-repeat loop a plot element and makes it incredibly fun. Gameplay is extremely addictive and “Just one more run.” has become the most common thing my daughter and I say to each other these days. Every time you get just one or two chambers farther than last time...

The art design is beautiful, the music is amazing (I’m seriously considering buying the soundtrack if it’s available), and the fully-voice acted dialogues between Zagreus and his giant dysfunctional family is equal parts hilarious, bad-ass, and emotional.

Five out of five. Highly recommended.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I wanna try just one more run...

• Like 1