Discussion: Points for 40K at OFCC

evil_bryan

As I work on the FAQ for the event, you may have noticed there has been no mention yet of points.

Historically, this has been a 2K event. Also historically, many people do not have a chance to finish their games within the allotted time. Since I love playing at 2K, I know my personal bias is to resist change.

OFCC is a community event, so I thought it was appropriate to have a discussion with that community on thoughts/preferences/concerns etc.

There is no right or wrong way to approach this, but its important to make your opinion known.

• Like 1

While I can certainly appreciate higher point levels in a casual event (because it lets players bring more of their cool toys), it definitely puts a lot of strain on players to finish in a timely fashion and I think that can work against the goals of OFCC, namely to have exciting and interesting matches for all involved. A lot of the best stories come out of the final turns of the game ("And I would've won, except that his one guardsman assaults Calgar on the objective and kills him!") and if you never get to that point, any potential for that drama is lost. Similarly, players that are having to hurry in order to have a reasonable chance at getting to the "proper" end of a match will not have as much time to joke, socialize, etc, with each other.

For those reasons, I would like to see the event come down somewhat in points and/or increase the time allotted per match. I don't think anything less than three hours for a 2K game is plausible, and likely more than that (3:15 or 3:30 seems more like what a casual game should need.) As I don't think most players are willing/able to commit that much time in a single day to the event, I believe dropping down in points is the appropriate solution.

• Like 2

I don't think anything less than three hours for a 2K game is plausible, and likely more than that (3:15 or 3:30 seems more like what a casual game should need.) As I don't think most players are willing/able to commit that much time in a single day to the event, I believe dropping down in points is the appropriate solution.

Exactly this.  2k games need a long time to play 3-3.5 hours.  Fine for two friends playing, but over the course of 5 or 6 games?  That's exhausting.  

• Like 1

My preferrence would be to go even smaller and have more rounds. More rounds means more exposure to more players. So, I vote for 1500 or even 1000 points, but add a 6th round, with 2 hour rounds. A 1000 point matchup would work best in this matchup. There is an added benefit to this approach--it eliminates most of the hyper cheese lists (gladius, war con, etc) that cannot fill their requirements to get their command benefits.