Moving to Salem(?)

chaoticJJ

What level of schooling? Elementary, high school, college?

Relatively cheap is subjective, what you consider cheap might be expensive for others.

What is your criteria for better?

Ivan

High school is what I'm looking at. My current one has a lot of problems.  

Relatively cheap to me is a roof over our heads that's less than 1025 a month and groceries that cost less than 400 a month.

Really we just want to get out, better being is Salem good enough to not regret it when a few months pass after seeing what it's like in other cities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

South Salem, like West Salem, is nice and has some really good schools, do not move to North Salem though, some places are nice but some are not so safe and the schools are hit and miss.  

Really, I think Salem is a little Vanilla.  Nice restaurants have a hard time staying open, it is a very meat and potatoes type of town, which some people like, I don't, I like the variety of Portland.  There is practically no night life, everything is closed by 6, it's like living in a retirement community.  There are some nice things available though, like CSA boxes, good recycling center, and a great game store.  Beware though, Salem does have a lot of petty crime, we have several jails in the area and families tend to move here to be closer to loved ones, and those loved ones statistically tend to stay in the town they are released.  I'm not judging, it's just important to point it out. 

The thing I like about Salem is that you are an hour from everywhere.  1 hour from the coast, 1 hour from the mountains, 1 hour from Portland. 

Personally, I call Salem the black hole.  I keep escaping Salem by moving some place else, only to get sucked right back, last time I was in Gresham (near Sandy) when I got caught in Salem's gravitational pull once again.  It's not the worst place to live, I lived in a lot of places that I would never recommend (Wyoming, Colorado, Texas, Illinois), it's just not ideal for me, but it might be for you.