'nids, double skyshield tactic

A strange idea, but hear it out. At 2k, you can field 2x skyshield land pads if you field a double FOC (not something that should be hard for tyranids). Then you take flyers, lots of flyers with long range weapons. If you position the two skyshields right, you should be able to zoom your flyers and land on the first skyshield. Then you shoot. Then you move to the next skyshield and shoot. Although you can't go back and forth because of the 90 degree limitation, you can leave combat aerospace and repeat. This works best for tyranids because their MC flyers can fire 360 degrees and have good range. They also don't already have saves better than the 4++ to shooting (will work against interceptor weapons too). Should be enough to make the bug flyers pretty durable, despite their low toughness. Key is that you must deploy the skyshield so you can hop between and from reserve. Tactic is 150pts for the skyshields, plus any flyers included.

-Pax

Tyranids don't really get many good long-range weapons. Stranglethorn Cannons are okay, but not so good you want to spend 900pts on five of them. Heavy Venom Cannons are pretty [big bad swear word]ty. Everything else is 18" or less.

HVCs no longer are -1 to close topped. It's still S9, which isn't terrible, though I do agree that it leaves much to be desired. Haywire missiles are another option, I think those had 36" of range. Though, if positioned right, could place the skyshields so they stick out enough that your 18" of range still covers a fair amount of area, even if it fails on the backfield.

Anyway, idea is just that, an idea. It would be nice if you could get the 'nid flyers to last longer.

I will note that just because you take the double skyshields for the flers, doesn't mean that you couldn't also use the skyshields for other bugs. Again, just thoughts.

-Pax

I'm not sure when you play outside of the GG league, but we only do 2k one month out of 4 or 5. No tournaments are doing double FoC. I mean, ideas for garage games...

Seems to me that taking a skyshield would be a good idea, but 2 just seems overkill. Would rather have a bastion or something that you can put a synapse and/or venomthrope into for the other one myself. Like take a tyranid prime and attach it to a venom and put that unit inside the bastion to increase the area of synapse and shrouded and be fairly difficult to kill. In a single FoC game I'm leaning much more towards a bastion or FSR than a skyshield just for such a use.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that the second one seems more redundant that needed.

Bugs don't want Skyshields for most of their units because being on a Skyshield means you're sitting static. One of the biggest advantages Tyranids have, at least in theory, is that virtually everything in their book has superior combat stats and can move and shoot to full effect, so you are always putting the opponent on a clock for when your MCs and horde units arrive at their lines. If you are sitting out at 36", the other shooting armies are just gonna laugh and let you roll 4+s as they tear your army to pieces- perhaps a bit more slowly than they otherwise might, but since your firepower is negligible, that hardly even matters.