Clone field Vs D Melee weapons

Okay, so clone field is used to absorb melee attacks that hit, but haven't yet rolled to wound. D weapons don't roll to wound, so it would be reasonable to say that they don't apply. Still, the fluff rational for the clone field is the same as for the holo-fields on the eldar titans, which apparently function against D weapons.

Thoughts on this subject?

Not really looking for thoughts on why you'd have a DE character in assault with a superheavy, but I thought it was an interesting one to think about.

-Pax

PS: Yeah, picked up some DE....Look forward to more over analyzed DE questions :biggrin:.

I haven't played 40k in a while but aren't D weapons typically ranged templates and shots? Which wouldn't be melee?

A few of the titans have melee D weapon attacks (stompa, khorne lord of skulls, some FW ones). In the previous apocalypse, they were called Titan-Destroyer weapons and they only functioned against other super heavies. Now they just inflict D weapon attacks in assault. Given that the DE have pretty high WS, and most the titans have low attacks, getting 2 or so hits would be reasonable, against those D3 clone fields.

-Pax

From the FAQ:

Page 62 – Clone Field.
Change the second and third sentences to read: “At the
beginning of each Fight sub-phase in which the bearer is
locked in close combat, roll a D3 to represent how many clone
images are in effect. The result is the number of hits upon the
bearer that he may completely nullify in that Fight sub-phase,
just before the roll To Wound”.

So, D weapons would roll on the D weapon attack table instead of rolling to wound. Would the clone field apply against D weapon hits?

-Pax

That would be my interpretation, yeah. The D table roll takes the place of the wound roll, so Clone Field happens before it and can thus potentially negate the hit. (This bypasses the Str D "no saves or special rules" clause because, like Titan Holofields, it applies to the hit, not the wound.)

Awesome.

Still, mostly worthless as the DE really don't have much in the way of melee weapons that would hurt super heavy vehicles. In addition, I don't think the clone fields apply to the stomp attacks, so they might die anyway...

-Pax