Chaos too (CSM+BL+Daemons+SM)

So I've got that other thread on my loyalists, then I've this thread for my CSM. Plan is to get the two armies to a functional and fully painted 5k, or so, each and then sell/trade/donate the rest away.

Attainable.

Army goal, more or less, is that it needs to look awesome. As a general rule, I've assembled none of the kits as per their instructions. I'm very much kit bashing every model.

Anyway, the thematic elements are as follows:

Black Legion

I'm leaning towards psyker heavy. I love that last memory power. I do intend to paint them the black legion colors, having a mix of BL subgroups within. Probably thousand sons troops (Sons of the Cyclops is the BL version, I think). I also have a lvl4 nurgle sorcerer with last memory and a palaquen that I've been enjoying.

Chaos Space Marines

Not sure if I'll have a seperate detachment made or not. If I do, I'd probably finish painting my Emperor's Children. I could also go Alpha Legion, as I like their paint - this mostly depends if my black legion stick with "sons of the cyclops" as I'd like the different detachments to not share colors, if possible, and both those and alpha legion are "blue."

Daemons

Again, not sure if these will be a detachment, or just summoned onto the battlefield. Probably Nurgle, Tzeentch or Slaanesh. I don't really like Khorne, never have.

Space Marines

I picked up a pair of Dreadclaws a while back. for those that don't know, that's the Forge World "Drop Pod" for Chaos. They discontinued it a while back, and replaced it with a new, loyalist looking one. So, basically, this detachment is all about being able to field those two "drop pods." I'm going Iron Warriors with this detachment.

Fortifications

I've got a Skyshield/Chaos Shrine in progress. Don't know if the skyshield is legal in 7th, but I got one.

Models on the Keeper list

Chaos Spawn (1)

Nurgle BL psyker on palanquin

2x Defliers (Havocs and reapers)

1x Mauler Fiend

1x Helldrake in progress (CSM Dread with forgefiend hades mounted on a disc of Tzeentch and pulled through the sky via 5x screamers. Work in progress.)

Skyshield/Chaos Shrine

2x "Drop Pods."

EDIT: Oh, right, looking for list suggestions, bearing in mind that this army leans towards a rule of cool army, not towards an overly effective army. Still, don't suggest bad ideas just 'cause their bad. Suggest ideas because they sound awesome, or because the army really needs that thing to make it function in-game.

Forgot to post the list last time. 2 games so far. Here's the gist of it:

Black Legion

HQ

Nurgle Sorcerer (Warlord, MoN, Panaquin, Last Memory, +2 mastery levels, Spell Familiar, Sigil)

Luscious

Elites

Hellbrute (Missile Launcher and Power Scourge)

Troops

Emperor's Children (6, Doom Siren, Blast Master)

Rhino (Havoc)

Emperor's Children (6, Doom Siren, Blast Master)

Rhino (Havoc)

Fast Attack

Chaos Spawn (1, MoN)

Heavy Support

Defiler (Havoc instead of HF)

Defiler (Havoc instead of HF)

Maulerfiend

Fortifications

Skyshield Landing Pad

Allied Iron Warriors (Black Templars)

HQ

Captain (Fist and Combi-Melta)

Troops

Crusader Squad (9, MG, Las, Sword Brother with Fist and Combi-Melta)

Drop Pod

Crusader Squad (5, Las)

Total roughly 2k.

Game 1 was against more chaos, with the Khorne Lord of Skulls being the lynchpin of my destruction.

Game 2 was against a white scar biker army, I actually did pretty well. He brought two light flyers which I couldn't cope with. My psyker removed himself from the table, turn 1, so I also had that going against me.

In general, I'm liking most of the list's elements, but I'll be changing the shapes things take.

For an explanation of the army's function and roles:

The allies are all distraction units. The las team deploys isolated and on a flank, they provide a target for the opponent, and present an annoyance if ignored. Likewise, the pod arrives turn 1 and disrupts enemy formations. The Psyker joins the chaos spawn to form a unit which typically begins on the back of the sky shield. Nurgle's discipline boasts a good number of maledictions, so the psyker is mostly a de-buff caster. The defilers begin on the skyshield and use it to dominate the battlefield. They do this quite well, being both intimidating in melee and at long range. The emperor's children, more or less, are there because I wasn't sure what to do with my troops and I have a bunch from my earlier CSM army, their loadout reflects this lack of dedicated roll. The Maulerfiend and Hellbrute are my dedicated assault/counter assault units. Neither are particularlly powerful or expensive, but they both look awesome and project a pretty solid threat range.

For anti-aircraft, I have a known lack of solutions. The plan is to convert together a Helldrake with Hades Cannon in a dedicated AA role.

I also need to assembled my second "drop pod" so I have a second dropping unit. I think a second one would enable the allies to function as more than just a distraction. Ideally, the allies are the "away team" and the primary is the "home team." I also intend to switch the Iron Warriors from using BT chapter Tactics, to either Iron Warriors or Salamanders, as I think those fit their role and theme much better.

In hindsight, I think the Sigil isn't needed on my psyker, given that he's always on that Skyshield. I also don't think my Chaos Spawn need the T6 upgrade, and leaving them undivided would be better for my army due to the flexibility in IC attachments during the game. Between the two downgrades, I should be able to afford a second spawn.

I remain undecided if the Last Memory artifact is worth the points. Game 2, I failed the warp charge 3 sunburst and was removed from the game on turn 1.

Noisemarines are likely going to be dropped/altered. As is, those weeny squads are quite expensive. I got to thinking in game 2, I bet my noise marines were more expensive than each of his bikes. I like the doom sirens, but I remain unclear if they are viable.

In game 2, I actually got to roll on the chaos boon table. First time. Luscious gained shrouded, which came in handy when his squad died and he won combat, only to retreat into cover. This enabled him to see combat again. I think I've been underestimating this table's value to the army. 

Hmmm...more tinkering. An idea came up, and that would be to replace the allied SM with allied DA. It sounds really unfluffy to use DA rules with CSM models, but I could probably workout some sort of fluff for a backstabbing CSM legion.

Strange as it sounds, I think the DA actually bring some really niffy options for a CSM force. That said, they don't solve any of the AA issues I'm having, though I already intend to fix that with a helldrake or flying prince (or Daemon allies).

The tough bit, if I include DA, is keeping them away from my CSM for one eye open reasons. This is already an issue with the SM, but I think the DA compound it, given that I don't think preferred enemy can be turned off, so any scattering blasts via DA will be more likely to kill my CSM. Should be an amusing experience to balance the two.

Another game. This time I had:

Black Legion

HQ Sorcerer (Lvl 3, Panalquin, MoN, Spell Familiar, Warlord)

HQ Sorcerer (Lvl1, TDA, MoT, Eye of Night)

Elites Hellbrute (Power Scourge+ML)

Troops Thousand Sons (5)

Troops Thousand Sons (5)

Fast Helldrake (Hades)

Fast Spawn (1)

Heavy Defiler

Heavy Defiler

Heavy Mauler

Allied "SM Salamanders"

HQ Master of the Forge

Elite Ironclad (2x HK)

Troops Tactical (10, Las/MG, Vet+Fist+C:MG)

Opponent was a infantry heavy Eldar player with a test list for OFCC. They also had 6 levels of psykers. Those eldar skimmers proved very durable with the new jink. Mission was relic with hammer and anvil deployment. I went second. We decided the game was a draw after clean up time was declared (GG) with neither player having a clear victory in sight, though I do feel that my opponent's list should have beaten me and it was more his being new to the list rather than my list being evenly matched. I did play well and our game was very fun.

Salamanders chapter tactics was more a why not, than any particular reason to field those tactics. I actually think they fit my role for these pods quite nicely as disruption units. I think I need to alter my allies to two 5-man tactical squads in pods, a cheap character attached to a third pod squad (of something...). The ironclad may have been a good call, though it wasn't really something that aided my army much. It really messed with deployment to have come the apocalypse units starting on the table, but my opponent didn't take any advantage of this.

I didn't run a skyshield, though it more me forgetting it in list creation than any active plan to not bring it.

The Helldrake was a proxy, though I've intended to bring it for some time and already have a conversion in the works. In this game, it did nothing, but it also didn't die, so I didn't regret it's inclusion. I do think it will fit my needed AA role quite nicely. It is true that the bale flamer would have been much more useful against this opponent.

As for the Thousand Sons, I'm not sure on those. I very much like the unit, but I'm not sure if they are valuable troop slots. I may take them as elites and look into other scoring units (like noise marines, chosen, or cultists). I also think their HQ inclusion, the TDA sorcerer, didn't add enough. I would have been better off using Eye of night on the nurgle Sorcerer.

Hmmm....much to think about. Suggestions welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

Still a work in progress, both on the model end and in list creation:

2000pts

Chaos Space Marines CAD

HQ

Ariman (Warlord)

Warpsmith (MoT, Aura, Scrolls of Magnus)

Troops

Chaos Cultists (30, AP+CCW)

Thousand Sons (9, Champion with melta bombs)

-Rhino

Fast Attack

Helldrake (Hades AC)

Heavy Support

Defiler (HF, AC)

Defiler (HF, AC)

Maulerfiend (Magma)

Fortification

Skyshield Landing Pad

Allied Detachment of SM "Salamanders"

HQ

Librarian (MC PP)

Elites

Sternguard (5, 2x HF, 2x Combi-Melta, Sarge with MC Combi-Melta)

-Drop Pod

Troops

Tactical Squad (5, F, Sarge with MC PP)

-Drop Pod

Thoughts, questions, or related comments are welcome.