Techmarines as an HQ slot?

Maybe a weird question. I get that the techmarine has that special rule (SM and GK codex) that allows them to be taken as a free slot in armies which include another HQ choice.

Can I field the techmarine as a full HQ slot if I don't include another HQ?

Or, if I already have 1 HQ (like a libby) and a free-slot techmarine, can I field a second techmarine as it's own HQ slot?

I'm looking at the wording and it doesn't seem like I can't, as it is in the HQ section of the codex, GK and SM alike. Seems like the wording of the rule is all about being able to take more HQ slots, and not directed at the base techmarine being unable to act as the HQ for the army. Maybe I've got it wrong. Thoughts?

I don't believe you can in Space Marines, as the Techmarine is in the grey box the same way Command Squads and Honor Guard are; they are ONLY fieldable via their special rule. In GK it's a little less clear, but with many tournaments (including ITC) ruling that you can take a Court of the Archon without an Archon, I think you can make a solid argument that it works the same for Techmarines.

Also SM have their own stand alone techmarine hq. Its a master of the forge, he i basically a 2w tech that comes with the servo harness for under 100 pts. Quote from the grayed out tech marine box, "For each HQ choice in your army (not including other techmarines, servitors, command squads or honor guard) you may include a techmarine. these selections do not use up a Force orginisation slot."

Yeah, both GK and SM have bascially the same wording on fielding tech marines. Originally I thought it meant that you had to field another HQ to field one, but the more times I read it, the more it seems to imply that you could field them as an HQ slot, OR as free slot with one of the following HQs.

As for those Grey boxes in C:SM, I can't find where those are fully explained.