4 tyranid lists For Portland ITC May 23th,24th

First, Sorry for this giant wall of text. I worked on this and I am just needed some feed back.

I all I have been reworking my list over the past month or so. With the changes to the ITC I have done some tweaking as well.

So I have 4 list that I have been working on. I lost a game to a guy in the area and he got to pick one of my unit for the next tournament. He picked the Trygon Prime with the reaper artifact, I recently finished for a local custom model contest. I love the model and don’t mind using him and he’s been effective in the list I have been running.

So the unit has to stay.

So the list have come up with are below. I’m open to ideas for the list. The first one is the one I think most people will like as it is all offence. The two middle ones are very alike in that they have a solid back field but with different striking abilities. The last, 4 option is closer to the first list with a screening unit included. I think it is more a TAC list.
The first list is a spam list with 3 Carnifex’s and 3 tyrants. The trygon get dropped behind the Carnifex’s in cover while the tyrants go after the biggest threats. As the Carnifex open things up the trygon has been very us as a counter attack unit allowing my Carnifex’s to get clear of combat and shoot more. Its work well. It is a Null style list so it is week at getting secondary point in the first turn for the ITC missions.

Here the list option 1
+++ Option 1(1850pts) +++
++ Tyranids: Codex (2014) (Combined Arms Detachment) ++
Tyrannocyte [5x Deathspitters]
+ HQ +
Hive Tyrant [Electroshock Grubs, Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms, Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms, Wings]
Hive Tyrant [Electroshock Grubs, Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms, Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms, Wings]
+ Troops +
Mucolid Spore Cluster [Mucolid Spore]
+ Fast Attack +
Spore Mine Cluster [3x Spore Mine]
+ Heavy Support +
Carnifex [Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms, Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms]
Carnifex [Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms, Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms]
Aegis Defense Line [Comms Relay]
++ Tyranids: Codex (2014) (Allied Detachment) ++
+ HQ +
Hive Tyrant [Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms, Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms, Wings]
+ Troops +
Ripper Swarm Brood
3x Ripper Swarm [3x Deep Strike]
+ Heavy Support +
Trygon Prime [The Reaper of Obliterax]

List option 2
This list has a solid back field with large 29 man blob of hormagaunts with a 2+ cover save from the Malanthrope. This also allows me to leave my tyrants on the table if I wish to strike 1st turn. I like the Hormagaunts over the termagants as I feel the will do more damage to any unit that gets close for less points. I have had then whip out 6 man units of TWC with ease.
I have thought about dropping some hormagaunts to get a biovore or two just not sure if it is worth it.

The list:
+++ option 2 (1847pts) +++
+ HQ +
Hive Tyrant [Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms, Twin-linked Devourer with Brainleech Worms, Wings]
+ Elites +
Malanthrope Brood [Malanthrope]
+ Troops +
29x Hormagaunt [29x Toxin Sacs]
+ Fast Attack +
+ Heavy Support +
+ HQ +
+ Troops +

List option 3
This list drops a Carnifex and a drop spore for a Mawloc and a unit of Biovore. I left this list has more tools with the ap2 from the Mawloc. And is better VS Necrons and the new preference fore warrior blobs as it can put a large amount of wound on the unit and halves their saves. I think it would still put pressure on most armies. But if I miss with the Mawloc like I tend to and with the biovores. It is more of a gamble. It also doesn’t pack as big as a threat in the opponents back field when coming in.
The list:
+++ option 3 (1850pts) +++
+ HQ +
+ Elites +
Malanthrope Brood [Malanthrope]
+ Troops +
Hormagaunt Brood
30x Hormagaunt [30x Toxin Sacs]
+ Heavy Support +
Mawloc
+ HQ +
+ Troops +
+ Fast Attack +
+ Heavy Support +
2x Biovore

List Option 4:

While this list doesn’t have the pure offence of the first list, it still hits hard when it comes in. While giving an opponent a hard choice as what to kill off. With the hormagaunts, Carnifex’s and the trygon prime all saying hello you must pick what to kill before the next turn. The hormagaunts and the trygon have worked well together in killing thing, even WK. I been very happy with them. With the tyrants and everything coming in together in a Tyranid version of an alpha/ Bata strike I can normally kill everything in the zone I pick to come in within two turns. This list tends to do what the first does and be null deployment as much as possible.

+++ New Roster (1850pts) +++
+ HQ +
+ Troops +
20x Hormagaunt [20x Toxin Sacs]
+ Fast Attack +
Spore Mine Cluster [4x Spore Mine]
Spore Mine Cluster [4x Spore Mine]
+ Heavy Support +
+ HQ +
+ Troops +
Ripper Swarm Brood
3x Ripper Swarm [3x Deep Strike]
+ Heavy Support +

Honestly I don't know what to take. Please give some thoughts options anything really.

Thanks for your time reading that wall of Text.

I like the 30 hormagaunt one the best, though I'd go with adrenal glands instead so you can threaten most vehicles.  

Quick question, are you playing somewhere that allows you to run an allied detachment that is the same faction as the primary faction?  Normally that isn't allowed.  

That Trygon is a pretty huge stone around your neck to be carrying, given the way Tyranids function these days. Especially because the Reaper does... basically nothing for him.

#1 is decent- it's taking triple Flyrants, which is rough for anyone to deal with, and the Devilfexes are hardly bad, either. Your scoring is really weak, though.

#2 feels awkward. Hormagaunts aren't wholly unusable, but they're a poor fit for your list, I think- to get them to work you need to be overloading the enemy with ground targets. You'd be better off running some Termagant blobs or whatnot. Also, you have essentially zero solutions to AV13+ vehicles, which will be a problem.

#3 is a bit more on the right track with the Mawloc, I think; Mawlocs are surprisingly dangerous for their points and likewise tough to kill- if you could support them with some other Deep Striking threats (Dimachaerons are ideal, although Carnifex or Haruspex could work in a pinch) you'd be a lot better off.

I would try something like this, assuming you have the models:

LEVIATHAN DETACHMENT

1 Flyrant

1 Flyrant

1 Mucolid

1 Mucolid

1 Mucolid

1 Devilfex

1 Devilfex

1 Trygon Prime

1 Tyrannocyte

1 Tyrannocyte

TYRANID COMBINED ARMS

1 Flyrant

1 Mucolid

1 Mucolid

1 Mawloc

1 Mawloc

1 Aegis w/Comms Relay

Should put you right around 1850 or so.

Quick question, are you playing somewhere that allows you to run an allied detachment that is the same faction as the primary faction?  Normally that isn't allowed.  

Unless I'm misremembering, ITC allows this.

The list you listed I have all the big bugs. The Mucolid is the issue as I have not got the models for it yet. I only have 3.

As for the 1st list I agree it has all the fire power needed. But scoring is a big issue.

As for list 2 and 3. The Hormagaunts are a big I dare you to come close sign. the will wreak more units on the charge. Even with 2+ saves.

With the Malanthrope they give me the option to put them in a ruin in a different part of my deployment while the spore-mines man the ADL in a different part of the deployment zone.

I have found that people will go after the hormagaunts, the Malanthrope ,maybe a tyrant. Leavening my Comm's relay alone. If they go after both I usually get to kill a army that's spread out and I can pick off piece by piece when I come in.

I place the ADL to put a unit way out of play to go get the units hiding behind the ADL.

What do you think of the last army?

Of these, I like the second one best.

This is what I'm going to be running, for some perspective.

Tyranids Combined Arms

HQ

Flyrant devourers and egrubs

Troops

Ripper Swarm x3 deep strike

Elites

Malanthrope

Tyranids Hive Fleet Detachment

HQ

Troops

Termagaunts x16  11 fleshborers 5 devourers

Heavy Support

Carnifex devourers

Carnifex devourers

5 Flyrants and 2 Carnies is quite a bit of str6, 5 e-grub templates for high av or 2+ crappy armor troops. 4 ripper swarms deep striking in where needed and a gaunt unit to screen the carnies/malanthrope.

The list you listed I have all the big bugs. The Mucolid is the issue as I have not got the models for it yet. I only have 3.

You could swap the two Mucolids into Ripper Swarms (I think there's enough points?) and it would be, if anything, an improvement.

List #4 is... okay, I suppose. I'm not confident about the prospects of those Hormagaunts getting to actually do anything in a fight, but better in a Pod than on foot. I feel like not having the Mawlocs for that extra alpha-strike power is a loss, though- don't underestimate the power of those AP2 Ignores Cover blasts hitting in succession. The fact that Mawlocs are also really, really good at showing up in the late turns of the game to steal/contest objectives is a big deal, too.