Rules Question Regarding squads affected by Pyschic Powers...

Chapel

This came up in a game and I couldn't find anything in the rule book, so thought I'd come and see what people thought.

What happens when a unit with an attached Independent Character gets hit with a power like Paroxism, and then splits into two units after?

Order of Events:

Enemy unit is a unit of Drones, and a Commander is attached

I hit the combined unit in my psychic phase with Paroxism and they go to -2 BS/WS.

In the opponents turn, he splits the squad into two units.

Which unit(s) are affected by the -2 paroxism effect now? Just the drone unit? Just the Commander unit? Both units?

There's no "original" unit because they were combined.

This is actually covered on page 166 in the rulebook ("Independent Characters and Ongoing Effects")- it was one of the things they were kind enough to clarify in 7E.

Essentially, any models affected by the power initially will continue to be affected by it for its normal duration, even if they split up, join other units, etc; contrawise, a character that later joins the unit will not start to be affected by the power. So in your example, the Commander and Drones would both still maintain the -2 WS/BS penalties regardless of how they chose to move themselves around.