Tyranid model question

Ever run one? I never have, just want to use some OLD models.

I haven't, but a friend of mine has. The FAQ update improves it slightly (since you no longer have to roll to hit with its psychic power, a major obstacle at BS3) but it's still one of the worst units in the Tyranid codex. Weak defenses, a power that is almost strictly worse than Psychic Shriek AND Scream, low combat stats, and a hefty price tag make for a unit that is just lackluster in almost every possible arena.

If you just want to use the Malefactor model, I've seen it used as both a Tervigon and a Tyrannofex, as Edosaurus mentions.

I haven't, but a friend of mine has. The FAQ update improves it slightly (since you no longer have to roll to hit with its psychic power, a major obstacle at BS3) but it's still one of the worst units in the Tyranid codex. Weak defenses, a power that is almost strictly worse than Psychic Shriek AND Scream, low combat stats, and a hefty price tag make for a unit that is just lackluster in almost every possible arena.

If you just want to use the Malefactor model, I've seen it used as both a Tervigon and a Tyrannofex, as Edosaurus mentions.

Well, for now, I'm playing very casual with a buddy, so my tyranids are come the apocalyse allies for my DA...at least until I get enough bugs to run them solo.

I'll have to look into that FAQ, sounds useful. I was thinking that I still have one more roll on the bug psychic powers, of which only 1 is a witchfire, so not a huge loss there. Invulnerables on big bugs is not what they expect, so I'll try that too. Worst case, I use him for Synapse and as a warp charge battery for my DA psykers. Yeah, super cheesy that GW still lets warp charges carry over between very opposed factions.