40k affordability with escalation/stronghold assault.

Thought this was worth mentioning. Buy in to 40k went down with the release of escalation and the stronghold assault books. Presently, you should be able to create a 1500pt list of CSM with 1 Dark Vengence box, and 1 Aquilla Strongpoint. You'd also need the CSM codex and the stronghold assault book, though these can be borrowed or pirated.

You'll have this army:

Lord

Sorcerer Lord (DA libby)

Terminators (5, DA)

HellBrute

Marines (16, 10 DA and 6 CSM)

Cultists (20 Cultists)

Bikes (3, DA)

Bare point costs for bare models without WYSIWYG upgrades: 760pts.

Aquilla Strongpoint adds 535pts.

So this is 1295pts without upgrades and probably ~1500pts with upgrades. Cost is 99 for dark vengence and 115 for the aquilla strongpoint. That's a $214 entry at full price to 40k (assuming you pirate/borrow the other books). Most people don't even pay full price...

Next up, let's say you want to get another army. So first, the aquila is 535pts towards any army. You can take the above as allies for just about any army, perhaps with a few conversions (CSM could become loyalist marines, and cultists could become inquisition). Add a battleforce from any army and you'll have a pretty good 2k force for any one (save tyranids).

In general, I think the stronghold assault book really makes entry to 40k cheaper, as do the ally rules. The Dark Vengeance set is pretty awesome for new players too, as it can become lots of armies.

-Pax

Interesting points. I seem to be one of the few that wholly embrace Escalation and Stronghold Assault, and even I never considered the two supplements as a lower price barrier into the hobby.

With Baneblades being 500+ points, a new player could get the IG battleforce and a Baneblade to form a 1k army. While it isn's the best army, it certainly would be a blast to play! I myself love taking superheavies at 1k. It's almost like adding an additional objective to the game... Kill the superheavy!