Firestorm Redoubt builds

Threejacks

Was working up my lists for this next PE session and came up with what seems like a rather potent setup for the Firestorm.

Now if im reading the Stronghold assault book correctly..according to the data sheet for the Firestorm it can take Items from the "Buildings,Obstacles and Battlements and Battlefield lists" .

Looking at the Buildings section as a Medium building it can take two of those.In the Obstacles section it can take up to 6 sections in any combination of the 3 types.Then from the Battlements and Battlefield it can take a single piece.

With that in mind I came up with this;

Void shield (Buildings section)  25pts

Magos Machine Spirit (Buildings section) 30pts

6 Barricade sections(Obsticles section)  60Pts

Quad-gun  (Battlements and Battlefield section) 50pts

Assuming ive done that right I now have a single terrain piece that consists of 3 weapon systems 2 of which will have bs3 though will auto fire.A defence line to cover the Quad-gun that I will set off to the side (within 6" of course) and enough line to cover a squad of infantry that will likely

man the gun emplacement.Oh and that voidshield for the building and guys inside.

For the cost of 365 points ive got a good firebase and should more than cover any Anti Air needs:)

I know its probably not worth the high costs but since im going to man it with Orks it does bring a lot of shooty that the Orks often have issues providing.Oh and ill man the bunker with Lootas of course:)

Don't get suckered into the FSR for the stronghold assault upgrades. I like the FSR, but it really isn't too durable. It dies very quick, should the opponent target it with real threats to AV14 armor.

At 200pts, it functions well enough, but if you up much more and it will be worth targeting. As is, the FSR you have is +55pts, then you've also included an aegis with quad gun for 10pts more than it normally costs.

If going with stronghold assault upgrades, try the Fortress of Redemption, as it consists of 4 buildings, instead of just 1. This does improve the overall durability by presenting 4 targets instead of 1. Cost is +20pts of the FSR, but boasts two BS-fire weapons (for orks, this means that grots or allies can be included to boost BS, rather than have to pay +30pts). With 4 buildings, you really aren't going to need the barricades, but you could upgrade a few sections with additional weapons.

The Aquilla Strongpoint (either) is also a strong option, as both employ two buildings at AV15, making the solutions to these limited to D, S10 and armorbane weapons, as lascannons and weaker weapons can only glance. These are costly in points, so limiting upgrades is probably a good call. Still, they'd make a strong counter-part for a stompa, as you'd force the enemy to decide which was the greater threat for a turn or two of AT fire (which should be enough to close the gap and make assault). 

I am very curious about results with an army that employed a double FOC and double aquillas, as coping with 2 D weapon units (or three with a LoW) would be difficult to cope with, even if the rest of the force is weak and lacking in numbers.

-Pax

I would only take the FSR if I really wanted to pump my AA potential- take the Magos Machine Spirit upgrade and then add in a Quad Gun sitting on its own and you have a ton of guns to shoot at airplanes for codices that don't otherwise get access to that sort of thing. You pay through the nose for it, but you are at least getting good guns. Worthwhile overall? Probably not, but the option at least exists.

I don't think the Fortress of Redemption really compares, since you're putting "four" BS3 TLLascannons up against one BS3/4 TLLas- and the Fortress doesn't have the option of adding the extra Quad Gun. G.I. JOE PLAYSET is great for building a firebase around, due to the large number of bunkers to protect units in/behind, but an anti-air star it is not.

I am very curious about results with an army that employed a double FOC and double aquillas, as coping with 2 D weapon units (or three with a LoW) would be difficult to cope with, even if the rest of the force is weak and lacking in numbers.

If you're in a tournament that allows Str D weapons, the Aquillas are actually one of your weakest choices because ANY hit from an enemy Str D weapon will ruin it and it's a very large target. And that's not to even mention the ease of hitting it with Drop melta, or flaming out the guys manning the weaponry, etc.

Sounds like I`m reading the rules correctly on it:)

Yeah its spendy but adding just one quad-gun for Orks especially if its manned with Grots is always such a help.Im really looking forward to trying the FSR with those quad cannons as Orks are always so weak with ranged AP guns.However with the auto fire rule im sure they will get Juked plenty of times.

Ive had my bastion get pounded many times im aware of how that av 14 building can quickly become a liability for the guys inside but I look at it this way,if its getting targeted then my vehicles and advancing walkers and troops aren't.Plus maybe that void shield will help out.

Plus im planning to use a fort network if I end up on defence that total cost for the Guns,trenches and bunkers is over 700 points!

I certainly wouldn't try this stuff in a tournament build and likely would take my Bastion with Quad- gun over the FSR just because of cost.But for fun gaming sessions like this im all about trying goofball builds.

Stompa is in the rear getting repaired this week so its fortification time :biggrin:

"If you're in a tournament that allows Str D weapons, the Aquillas are actually one of your weakest choices because ANY hit from an enemy Str D weapon will ruin it and it's a very large target. And that's not to even mention the ease of hitting it with Drop melta, or flaming out the guys manning the weaponry, etc."

If I did dbl force org forts I would do the Aquilla with some obstacles around it,troops in the bunker then use the second fort slot for a voidshield network with 3 full generators coupled with the one shield on the Aquilla that should give it 10 total for around 900 points I think.Yup its goofy but try and kill that!.That thing should pretty much D Slap one unit every turn... well it better for that cost lol.

I don't think the Fortress of Redemption really compares, since you're putting "four" BS3 TLLascannons up against one BS3/4 TLLas- and the Fortress doesn't have the option of adding the extra Quad Gun. G.I. JOE PLAYSET is great for building a firebase around, due to the large number of bunkers to protect units in/behind, but an anti-air star it is not.

If you're in a tournament that allows Str D weapons, the Aquillas are actually one of your weakest choices because ANY hit from an enemy Str D weapon will ruin it and it's a very large target. And that's not to even mention the ease of hitting it with Drop melta, or flaming out the guys manning the weaponry, etc.

Hmm...yeah, agree the fortress is probably not a great AA option for orks. Was thinking about durability more than the point of the structure  to the ork army and tripped myself up. The Aquilla options are also not very reliable AA options.

As for the Aquillas being weak for escalation, it's sort of true. Although they are certainly not MSU, they are MDU (Multiple Destroyer Units), which does offer some merit against opponents with their D weapons condensed into a single target.

At 2k, my IG could bring:

Aquilla #1 535pts

Aquilla #2 535pts

Shadowsword 455pts

Vets #1 70pts

Vets #2 70pts

Vets #3 70pts

Vets #4 70pts

Company Command Squad #1 50pts

Company Command Squad #1 50pts

And I have 95pts left over for upgrades (like void shields or special weapons).

Is it a revenant killer? Probably not, but at least one D weapon would likely survive until turn 2.

As for DS melta teams, those remain a glaring weak point for most of the LoWs and Fortifications. As a result, it is very reasonable to assume some sort of DS melta team counter. The above tries to do this with MDU tactics.

-Pax